myschool.com.au......thoughts?

Guest shella_n

Guest shella_n

Hi

Ive been told about the above site which launched this year and have been having a good look.

Some schools which I would have been interested in seem to have very poor results but im not really sure how far to trust the site as its all very new ...stats could (?)be wrong and obviously the schools could be great for other reasons.

One of the things I like about Australian schools is that the kids arent tested to death for league tables and I feel somewhat hypocrtical now looking at these new ones. Its difficult though if the area I was planning on going to shows their primary school as being "substantially below avergae"

Anyone got any thoughts on this site? Should I just ignore it or trust it? Are these NAPLAN results really worth considering? Hmmmmmmm

Michelle

hi

There is no reason to suggest the data is inaccurate ...... it's a good thing that you can compare local schools .... the scrutiny can only lead to improvements and more accountability ... surely thats a good thing ..... when children leave school you want them to be literate and numerate - test results show that .., a trip to a school can show what kind of school it its .. ie, caring, creative, supportive and forward thinking ... the two go together in my opinon ....

Hi

Ive been told about the above site which launched this year and have been having a good look.

Some schools which I would have been interested in seem to have very poor results but im not really sure how far to trust the site as its all very new ...stats could (?)be wrong and obviously the schools could be great for other reasons.

Anyone got any thoughts on this site? Should I just ignore it or trust it? Are these NAPLAN results really worth considering? Hmmmmmmm

Michelle

Remember to look at the Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA).

Cooler

Guest shella_n
Remember to look at the Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA).

Cooler

Hi

Thanks for that - didnt know about that one.

Have had a good look at the schols I am interested in and am now even more confused though as schools with high ICSEA seem to have very low results and vice cersa. Trying to figure out what that means and I think it can only mean the school with the high ICSEA ad low results must have some fundamental problems with its teaching...so steer clear me thinks ....which is a bummer cause I really wanted to head to that suburb. :sad:

Michelle

Can you please let me know what websites you are looking at as I would also be interested in having a look at them?

Thanks

These sites are interesting but won't really be helpful for a few years when you can actually make yearly comparisons. Furthermore, results can be skewed by who is in a particular class that year and when you report on just certain classes, it's really difficult to get any type of clarity. You really need to visit the schools when you arrive because you will get a clear idea of what you like and what you don't. Not every area is catchmented anymore so many people live in one place and send their kids to another suburb.

Liz