Catholic & Christian Schools - Advice Please

Guest JacquiHH

Guest JacquiHH

We have started to look at High Schools for our 14 year old daughter and have been to see Le Fevre and weren't completely sold! We are now taking a look at the private schools in the area and found a couple we quite like, one Christian and one Catholic.

Do we need to be Catholic or attending church to send our children to these schools?? On one pre enrolment form it asks for a statement of faith?? If we don't have one or are not attending church will we still be accepted?? Can't seem to find any independent private schools in the north west?!

And has anyone experience with Largs Bay Primary or Dominican Primary (private catholic)??

Thanks for reading and hope I'm not repeating other posts but couldn't find the answers on a search?!

:huh:

We have started to look at High Schools for our 14 year old daughter and have been to see Le Fevre and weren't completely sold! We are now taking a look at the private schools in the area and found a couple we quite like, one Christian and one Catholic.

Do we need to be Catholic or attending church to send our children to these schools?? On one pre enrolment form it asks for a statement of faith?? If we don't have one or are not attending church will we still be accepted?? Can't seem to find any independent private schools in the north west?!

And has anyone experience with Largs Bay Primary or Dominican Primary (private catholic)??

Thanks for reading and hope I'm not repeating other posts but couldn't find the answers on a search?!

:huh:

Id speak to the school personally they may make exceptions in some cases, some are stricter than others regarding this, but there are plenty of good non faith schools out there too just a case of looking. which area in particular?

Guest louiesmum

Hi

You could take a look at the my school website, but I have heard Seaton High School is quite good if they get on the Ship programme (high achievers) think they have to sit a test, also Henley high as quite a good reputation. Portside School does R & high school and seems to have quite a good reputation too, it is a christian school so I dont know if that is a type of school you were looking at. You also have schools like Nazereth, St Michaels, Mount Carmel, to name a few you could have a look at there are quite a few but I cannot remember them all!! Sorry!

Some of the schools do have a school bus esp some of the private ones

Hope this helps a little, I think though you really have to visit them as you know your child & where they will be most happy!! What suits one & all that!!!

I know some of my friends children go to Largs Bay & seem quite happy with it, my boys go to West Lake Shore, they both enjoy it & are geting on well although its a very busy school.

Guest JacquiHH

We've signed a lease on a house in Largs Bay so now have to be in that area. Should have done more research but Le Fevre High school looked good but now not so sure so started looking at private. There doesn't seem to be any other high schools that we would be in the zone for hence the private path. What I actually wanted to know was if we applied to a Catholic school do we actually need to be Catholic?? I was favouring Mount Carmel??!! But just wanted to clarify before actually going down the road of interviews etc. If not private then do high schools except children from outside their zone of they aren't full??

There are very few schools in the private sector in Adelaide which are not religious. They all seem to be Anglican or Catholic or Lutheran or whatever.

As far as I know you do not have to be a catholic to go to a catholic school.

As someone else said, Seaton High probably has the best reputation of the schools in that area.

No you do not have to be catholic, these catholic schools receive federal funding aswell as funds from the catholic education office and therefore they have to accept a percentage of non catholics. This is more evident in the Catholic High schools than the parish primaries. Just read their blurb on their admission part of their website

Guest cara

Hi Jacqui my friend is doing a placement at largs bay primary at the mo and she says it is a good school but dominican in semaphore also has a good rep and there is also the our lady of the visitation (private Catholic) on victoria road which is good. We have been discussing schools in our mothers group and Seaton high seems to rate well and st michaels as others have said.

Maggie

• 1 month later...
Guest Peachie

Hi Both my kids attend catholic schools and we never go to church

we discussed our beliefs (mostly lack of them) at interview but I want my kids to learn tolerance for others veliefs and be free to chose their own when older I chose there school based of its the best school in the area that I could get them into (the local school is pants ) we still get invites to mass ect but my kids understand that I will not attend they teach the kids broad christain beliefs which I have no problem with as think the world would be much better if we treated each other with resect ps waiting with baited breath for the lessons on honour thy mother and father

to answer your question they will give priority to catholic kids but at least a third in our school are not pracasing or just mot religious

Deb x

My kids are at a Catholic (Jesuit) High School and my husband put "atheist" as the family's religion on the application forms - they still took 'em! You just have to be a bit tolerant of the fact that religion is pretty high up on the curriculum, although they do study a range of faiths as well as catholicism. I know some people find the amount of religion forced on kids at faith-based schools is a little too high for their comfort, so it just depends on you as individuals. For me, it's more about ethics and tolderance and making your own judgements in your own time, so it doesn't worry me too much. The kids did have to learn the "spectacles, testacles, wallet and watch" gesticulation though!