Tafe with a 475 visa?

Hi Guys

Need some advise. My son wants to get an apprenticeship as a plumber and

was told if he did a pre voc course at Tafe it will goin his favour. However, we applied through SATAC and they said as he was an international student he

would have to apply direct to the college. He spoke to the international dept at the college and they said mmmm a 475 visa well you fall between the lines as you pay

tax as a resident and live here already you will need to speak to ATEC. He rang ATEC and they said you need to speak to SATAC… so the circle begins!!!

We already know we will have to pay the international fees for the course.

He has completed a couple of weeks work experience with a plumbing company and loved it. Can anyone give any advise or telephone numbers to ring

to try and sort this out for him. Any advise/ideas would be great. :arghh:

Thanks Janine

Guest Tina P

Hi,

I believe if he calls the following people they arrange appenticeships, don't know how he will stand though with fee's but its worth a phone call

Plumber Industry of South Australia

8292 4000 - Marilyn Sheffield.

Good luck

There are several group training organisations you can contact. Can't think of them off top of head back can get back to you.

Don't want to put a dampener on things but I don't know if you are aware that there are lots of incentives paid to both employers who take on an apprentice and the apprentice themselves. However these are only eligible for citizens or those with permanent residence. So that can make it harder for your son to find someone to take him on.

But it's not impossible - there are some employers out there who will still take on apprentices without worrying about the incentives.

I'll pm you next week with the GTO details

Mel

xx

Guest WhatNow?

Your best bet for up-to-date and reliable advice is to call the Construction Industry Training Board:

Contact Details

If my memory serves me correctly the lady in charge of co-ordination of training and Apprenticeships is Lisa Kennedy, unless she has changed jobs recently. I was talking to her a few months ago in my Home2Home persona about help for migrants and she told me to steer them in her direction for reliable advice. Part of her job is dealing with queries from migrants about training and apprenticeships in the building trade in Adelaide.

There is a load of useful information on their website too: Eligibility

But as with anything in Adelaide, a face to face meeting or phone call will get you more than just an email.