Greek as LOTE

Guest roula

Guest roula

Hi,

We are new and have just found out we're moving to Adelaide around November. My husband will be working in the CBD and so I've been looking at different areas to live and schools for our daughter, who will start Reception in January.

My daughter is bilingual, speaking English and Greek. My husband is Greek and I'm the Brit! We are living in Greece and she attends a Greek speaking Nursery. I did a search and saw that Unley Primary School offers Greek as LOTE. Anyone know of any other schools that have Greek? I know she can probably go to a Saturday school but it would be great if she could have this opportunity at school.

What is Unley like as an area? Husband likes it as close to the CBD.

Thanks,

Roula

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

We are new and have just found out we're moving to Adelaide around November. My husband will be working in the CBD and so I've been looking at different areas to live and schools for our daughter, who will start Reception in January.

My daughter is bilingual, speaking English and Greek. My husband is Greek and I'm the Brit! We are living in Greece and she attends a Greek speaking Nursery. I did a search and saw that Unley Primary School offers Greek as LOTE. Anyone know of any other schools that have Greek? I know she can probably go to a Saturday school but it would be great if she could have this opportunity at school.

What is Unley like as an area? Husband likes it as close to the CBD.

Thanks,

Roula

Hi roula,

1st off welcome to PIA

A few of my friends in Adelaide are from a Greek background but they learned the language from their parents/grandparents. We live in the North of the City and have a lot of Greek and Italian friends. I used to work for a Greek family and apparently Torrensville has a high Greek population. I'm sorry but I don't know any schools that offer it as a 2nd language but a couple of kids that played soccer with my son go to 'Greek School' in the evening to learn the language and culture.

Thats the thing I love most about Australia is the multi culture....my sons soccer team is like the united nations....Irish, English, Greek, Italian, Welsh and Africian

Good luck:wubclub:

There are a few schools also that are run by the Greek Orthodox Church so are private schools with fees. One is at Unley - St Spyridon and there is also a St George one (I think in Torrensville). Some of my friends who have considered sending their children there have decided against it because it doesn't really give their kids the opportunity to mix with other children of other nationalities. Although I am Australian born and bred I have Greek parents so if you want to know anything Greeky please pm me.

Guest roula

Thanks everyone for your replies and links.

I'd prefer our daughter to go to an Australian state school, so she gets to mix with a range of nationalities. Also, I'm not comfortable with the religious aspect of Greek schools. (Don't tell my father-in-law, who's a priest!) I will definitely check out Unley Primary School when we arrive and also Greek Saturday schools. We will have a lot of contact with the Greek community anyway because of my husband's job, so she'll have plenty of chances to practise her Greek.

Roula