Soccer/Football for kids

Guest artetaneville

Guest artetaneville

Our boys are totally football mad they play and train here in the UK. Are there oppurtunities for them to play and train in Adelaide?

Plenty of football clubs around - although you'll have to get used to calling it soccer I'm afraid...

Shop around as joining fees vary tremendously. Also, some have trials, some don't. The season here ends in September so you are probably a little late to join this year, but spend the time asking around as many people as you can in your local area as there are definitely good places and bad places, good coaches and bad coaches. Federation Teams (Home | FFSA) tend to be a bit pricey in my view, depends on your kids' ages. If they are older, they may prefer one of the Federation teams as those are where selection tends to be made for State representatives and onwards. Also, if that's the way you're going, I'd recommend looking at clubs that are fairly centrally located - as in everything here in Adelaide, the highest levels tend to be central, rather than out in the stix, so if you are considering places to live, don't inflict maybe a 40 minute + drive to and from training on yourself twice a week!

If they are younger they may prefer a more "local" club where the aim is enjoyment and where each child gets a fair go on the field, not left on the bench week after week because they happen not to be the coach's favourite! Elizabeth and Districts clubs (EDJSA - index.html) are a good example of what I mean by "local" - they actually have it in their policy that every child should get at least half a game on the pitch. They cover mostly Northern and Eastern suburbs, there are probably equivalents that cover other areas. If you click on the Select By Club tab on this page there is a good list: http://www.saasl.com.au/Clubs.asp?mid=67

Also worth a read of the Junior Soccer section on FootballNews • Index page

A few companies run off season training - such as Football Focus run by a nice guy called Jason Football Focus - and there is year-round indoor football (usually 5 a side), also called Futsal (I think that may be 7 a side?) to keep your kids' skills up off-season.

Once you know where you will be living, ask again on here for more local recommendations!

HTH

Diane

Plenty of football clubs around - although you'll have to get used to calling it soccer I'm afraid...

Nope dont give in..........stick to your guns and call it football!:biglaugh:

Yep there are clubs and lots of schools do football.....becoming more popular.

haha....

There is competition running on Fox 8 at the moment, where the prize is a contract with the Brisbane Roar...and guess what its called Football Superstar....not Soccer Superstar!!!!!!!!!

But seriously though....its called both here...my son plays for a club and they call themselves....***** soccer club....