School Advice Needed

tommo64

Hi All,

Can anyone advise please - Our son is currently attendeding a state school but is being bullied and is desperately unhappy. We have voiced our concerns to the school staff but they are basically not interested, despite the fact that the bully has threatened to knife him on several occassions. They said they can't do anything without proof and it is a matter for the police, not the school!

We have just moved out of that school's zone and into another school's zone. But this school has said that they have no room. I was under the impression that if you lived within a school's zone they were obligated to admit your child. Can anyone tell me whether this is right or not?

We are quite desperate and will happily go private if necessary, even though we would find it hard financially. We have to do something as our son has got to the point where he cannot sleep properly, says he cannot eat because he feels sick and has now been referred to a psychiactric nurse by our doctor because she thinks he is suffering from anxiety and depression.

Hope someone can advise.

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about this, and I really do feel for you and your son. I do not understand why some schools just don't listen to parent's concerns. This was one of the reasons why we moved our children from a private school to a state school. The state school did say they were at full capacity, but as I lived in the zone they had to offer both my children a school place. I would go back the school and provide proof of your address and speak to the principle, explain what is going on with your son, and how bad it has become on his health.

If no joy contact department of education look on line and check out the health and wellbeing section.

I do hope you are able to get your son into another school, Since the hols are so close why don't you get him out and just state to the other school that he is not attending any school for his own health.

Keep me in the loop about what happens

Prema x

This really makes me angry to hear. I have good friends who are teachers and their schools take it very seriously. They talk to the children and their parents. They try to sort it and they have zero tolerance to it. That's a bit of a cop out that they can't do anything and are obliged to listen to you. Go to the Police and see what they have to say and I would definitely report the school. Don't hesitate to send an email to the Minister of Education who is Jay Weatherall. Truly do it, you will be doing your son (and I am sure other people's children) a favour. The Minister's staff will investigate what is happening and how the school is dealing with and they are obliged to reply to you. It is their job to do this and do not think that you are not important enough. I work in government and a lot of people write to Ministers and some are the most trivial of things and this is definitely not trivial. This is the Mins website Hon JAY WEATHERILL MP and his email address is listed on their. For your son's safety I would definitely ask about what you should do to keep him safe. His safety is all that matters. It might just be an idle threat but you hear stories like this all the time. My very best wishes to you, I hope you get this sorted.

I do hope you are able to get your son into another school, Since the hols are so close why don't you get him out and just state to the other school that he is not attending any school for his own health.

That's just what I was thinking. It's awful to hear something like that and I really feel for your son. I wouldn't send him back there for one more hour; his wellbeing has to come first.

Good luck getting it resolved, it must be very distressing.

Jim

Hi Kris and Prema,

Thanks for your replies and advice, which we will take on board. We are going to approach the other school again tomorrow. We had previously given them proof of our residence within their zone and a stat dec but they still turned us down. Our son is adamant he doesn't want to go back to his present school and we have decided to take him out, for the time being at least. We are really disappointed with their response. If we can't get this sorted, then we will certainly complain to the minister as you have suggested. As you said, this boys threats are probably just that, but we are not prepared to take that chance.

Thanks again.

Hi Jim,

Yes, it is very distressing for both us and our son. We have been here about 7 months now and generally, everything has worked out well, apart from this problem. It is stressfull enough for a 15 year old to move to the other side of the world, leaving behind his old friends and trying to settle into a new school, etc., without all this other nonsense. But like all the other obstacles, I'm sure we will overcome this one. The advice and encouragement we have received on here is a great help and comfort.

Thanks again to all.

your poor son its so unfair when yobs can upset and get away with this behaviour,your right to take him out of that school <name and shame >but your not allowed .

yes i would go back to the prefered school with documents of new address ,i thought they had to accept pupils if in there area

hope this is soon settled and your son can move on for all your familys sake

Look for another school, check out and question them on their bullying policy, and MOVE HIM! the school my sons go to is rather rough around the edges but the bullying policy is 1st class, good luck for your son, before he knows it it will be in the past x

Guest needtogonow

This situation is just awful. I agree with the above posters, do not let your son return to that school and contact your local MP.

I also was under the impression as well that the local catchment school have to take you even if there is not a place, we were actually told this by our local school who were full when we enquired.

I hope you manage to resolve this issue, god knows what a nightmare I would become to the school and the other establishments involved if they were not dealing with it.

Keep us informed and all the best.

Bex.x

MARCELLIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE

Principal:

Mr Jim Fenoughty

Address:

Cnr Mander & Beach Rd's

CHRISTIES DOWNS SA 5164

Phone:

(08) 8186 9700

Fax:

(08) 8186 9799

Years:

COED 11-12

URL:

http://www.marcellintechnicalcollege.com.au

Email:

enrol@mtc.sa.edu.au

Hi Gail - please see above - a technical college wihtin the catholic education system - try them or look at the followng website for the other catholic shools in your area

Catholic Schools

This sounds dreadful, you must be very worried.

ALL state schools in SA are required to have a bullying policy under the requirements for School Discipline Policy ... see DECS website Child and Student Wellbeing

I understand that you don't want your son to return there but you might like to write to them explaining why he isn't currently attending and send a copy to both DECS AND to your local state MP (if you're in Brighton it's Chloe Fox (member for Bright) AND the Minister.

You can also write to the Minister, Jay Weatherill to formally raise your concerns and if you state you are 'complaining' this will prompt something called 'a ministerial' ....... which has to be responded to by the school in a certain time.

Good luck with finding a nice alternative ..... the above actions might prompt DECS into assisting you with this.

Guest almost there

My heart goes out to you all, especially your son. Bullies are the worst type of cowards. This would have been a difficult situation to deal with at any time but to add to the the stresses and strains of moving to a new country, starting a new school and trying to make new friendship groups it must be unbearable for your son. I truely hope you find a new school where you son will find mates and be happy. Your son has shown how brave he is by moving to a new country and starting a new school, this is not easy and to have ignorant individuals make this move difficult stinks as does the apparent lack of understanding shown by the school who should be protecting and guiding children through difficult times.

All the best for the future.

MARCELLIN TECHNICAL COLLEGE

Principal:

Mr Jim Fenoughty

Address:

Cnr Mander & Beach Rd's

CHRISTIES DOWNS SA 5164

Phone:

(08) 8186 9700

Fax:

(08) 8186 9799

Years:

COED 11-12

URL:

http://www.marcellintechnicalcollege.com.au

Email:

enrol@mtc.sa.edu.au

Hi Gail - please see above - a technical college wihtin the catholic education system - try them or look at the followng website for the other catholic shools in your area

Catholic Schools

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for that. We will have a look and add it to our list of 'options'.

HI again Gail & Tom - looked on Google maps & you can catch the train to Christie's beach station - then it's about a 15 min walk to the college. Hope you've looked at their website - they offer apprenticeships - which could suit Brad more than another school - hope to see you tomorrow Dx

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Hi

having read your post i can only emphathise with your situation. I have young children who are yet to start school(yet) and this must just be horrendous. I really feel for you and hope your poor son feels better soon. I would suggest you givce him loads of TLC (you're probably already doing this) and reassurance.

Good luck, sincerely, sarah.;)

Sending you my total support. What a horrible situation.

I would follow the advice above and complain to the relevant powers and make sure this is dealt with. If it were me, I would also report the mater to the police. Tell them that the school has instructed you to do this. You may not get anywhere with the school but they may be able to give you a clear idea of the legal situation. I have a feeling that as the school is in loco parentis that they MUST put the safety of the child first. The police will be able to tell you the leglities of the situation.

In the meantime I would remove your son from the school and inform the education department that it is for his safety. You can investigate this;

Open Access College : Welcome

it may be a useful stop gap.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

It used to be that if you were in the catchment of the school..they had a legal responsibility to take you. When we first came to oz.. our local school ,which was the best, was full. My hubby spoke to the principal and said he said he thought they had a legal obligation to take the kids etc..the principal said no. He phoned the education services and refused to back down. The next day ,after talking to the school, the education dept. admitted that the school had to take the kids. The principal was furious.

Stand your ground and get onto DECS.

The next day ,after talking to the school, the education dept. admitted that the school had to take the kids. The principal was furious.

Stand your ground and get onto DECS.

Did he end up going to that school? When I was at infant school, the headmaster of the junior school told me a week before the end of the last year that, contrary to what I and my family had believed, I wouldn't be going up to Junior school as I missed the cutoff date (by a couple of days). My parents went to educational psychologists and all sorts and made the headmaster back down and let me go to the school However, all the way through, he went out of his way to be unpleasant to me. Would have been better just to go to another school after all!!

Just wondered if your principal was the same?

Heart goes out to the OP - the teenage years are tough enough already without stuff like that going on. Move schools, report the bully to the police, and keep us posted on how you get on.

Did he end up going to that school? When I was at infant school, the headmaster of the junior school told me a week before the end of the last year that, contrary to what I and my family had believed, I wouldn't be going up to Junior school as I missed the cutoff date (by a couple of days). My parents went to educational psychologists and all sorts and made the headmaster back down and let me go to the school However, all the way through, he went out of his way to be unpleasant to me. Would have been better just to go to another school after all!!

Just wondered if your principal was the same?

Heart goes out to the OP - the teenage years are tough enough already without stuff like that going on. Move schools, report the bully to the police, and keep us posted on how you get on.

No they didn't end up going to that school .

I'm a teacher and I was 100% sure she would have been pretty crappy with me and the kids if I pushed her... and I knew we were only going to be there for a short time.

The guy from DECS pleaded with us not to take it any further.

However had it been a high school..I would have taken it further. Bigger schools are more impersonal and you can get lost in a crowd.

Guest motlyman

Instead of stressing yourself out, have you looked outside your catchment?

My daughters old school was falling apart and she ended up in a school outside the zone and has gone from strength to strength. Obviously there were places available.

She goes to Pasadena High school which is,nt a million miles away from Brighton!

Just a thought.

Colin

• 1 month later...
Guest hClayton

im soo soory to hear this, it makes me sick in the stomach as i have moved over here and im attending a state school in adelaide. I have fitted in well with ll other students, but my brother is also going through a rough patch.

a school has to accept your child if your in zone, my mum nearly had to call the state government about getting me into high school as its is rated best stae school for adelaide and is hard to get into. So my asuggestion is to ring and complain.