Hi, Feeling a bit sad, we were going to instruct estate agents tomorrow but due to lots of factors have decided to wait until May 2012 (visa valid until Sept 2013) when son completes GCSE.
This decision has been painful but I have a health niggle which I wish to resolve with a consultant that I know and trust in the UK, house market is pants and exchange rate worse, also have a dog that has a few health problems so want to see her life out with her in UK. Problem is the age of my son, he has started yr 10 and has started some really good options which I think will benefit him to complete but would like your advice as at the end of the day his future is more important that the above factors.
He is taking usual GCSE in maths, english, science, french, ICT etc which I know hold no value in Oz but he is also on 3 vocational courses in construction, motor mechanics and engineering which will result in NVQ. He has also been lucky enough to gain a place on a young apprenticeship scheme in engineering which means he will be spending alot of time gaining work experience in several large well known companies in our town. I think these opportunities are too good to miss and all the skills he learns can be transfered to Oz and will hopefully make him a more attractive proposition for future employers.
What do you think? Do you agree that the skills and confidence he will gain are worth sticking around for or do you think to join a new education system at the age of 16yrs is a big ask and we will be messing with his future and limiting his opportunities? Does anyone know what his options will be in Adelaide when he is 16?
This has been a really tough descision, but I feel that for the sake of waiting 18mths hopefully the move will be slightly easier and I just keep telling myself all good things come to those that wait!!