School year confusion

Guest JT1

Hi

We are due to come over December and have just come across something we didnt expect. Our children are now in yr 7 and 9 in the UK and we have been told 2 different things - they are in yr 7 and 9 in Oz but another school says no they are 6 and 8 as they have only done a few months of those years which are the Ozzie equivalent of 6 and 8. Can anyone advise?!!!! My son is 14 in Dec and daughter 12 in Jan.

THANKS

JT

Hi there

I think your children will be in year 7 and 9 in January 2011. My son who is 13.5 (born in June 1997), have just been accepted into year 8 for the last term that starts in October 11. So in he will be in Year 9 next year.

Regards

wijaya

Thank you - thats reassuring to know. You are in a very similar situation to us then - same visa and application date etc. Did you find accommodation easily - thats our next prob!

Best Regards

The school year finishes 10 Dec this year. It might be worth it if you know where you'd like to live sending them to school even if it is just for two weeks. When I arrived here as a 10 yr old, I did the last 3 weeks of the school year and made some friends to do things with over the summer break. If your children are going to start school next year they would go into yrs 7 and 9.

I guess we were lucky that we got our house the first time we applied. It is in the area that we want, very close to Marryatville High, only a few meter away. We went to see several houses in area that we wanted our children to go to school to.

We got our house exactly a week after we arrived.

I think what swayed the landlord and the agent was that we gave them our bank statement, where we put our house sale money in it, and also said that we were willing to pay the rent three months in advance. I think agent has a powerfull power here to decide to whom they will rent the house to. They said that they had open house a week before we came, but refused to lease to the people that came, because they did not like them.

I think agent has a powerfull power here to decide to whom they will rent the house to. They said that they had open house a week before we came, but refused to lease to the people that came, because they did not like them.

That is very very true, and well worth bearing in mind. One agent we spoke to even said she watched if people at the open wiped their shoes on the way in - if they didn't, she wouldn't rent to them as she considered they wouldn't look after the property as meticulously as she would want!

Also worth bearing in mind, if you have kids that are going stir crazy looking at different properties, might be worth leaving them in the car while you view if you think they might run riot...!!! (not saying anyone else's kids would do that - but I know mine!!!!)

BTW, my son was 13 in May and is currently in Year 8. Many of his classmates are a year older though, but because he started his school in the UK and started just after he was 4, he had effectively started a year younger than he would have if here in Oz. Year 8 is the first year of High School in most schools here in South Australia (but not all)