What is the approx cost of childcare?

Hazel M

I know its cheaper than UK, but we've been lucky the last few years as Ive been working 2 days a week - one day of which my husband has the children - the other day my mom and dad have had them.

When we get there and Im working too then we'll obviously not have family to help out so just wondering 1) how much a day nursery is for our 1yr old? And 2) what kind of options are there for pre and post school childcare - are there childminders who would pick up and drop off - I assume there must be so probs a daft question!!! Or any other type of childcare that does before / after school type things? And again what kind of cost would these be?

Thank you :notworthy:

Guest guest569

child care is expensive here.Not sure on prices for your 1 year old but at school age they call it OSCH. We pay $15 for an hour before school and the same for an hour after. Any full day is $50 for the day. This all soon adds up especially as you , like us have more than one.

depending on your visa you may be entitled to a concession from centrelink , but some mums feel that why miss out on your kids growing up and work all week for just $100 in your pocket after all your expenses. You might be better off waiting till your youngest is in full time school at age 5 and finding something part time.

owch!! although could poss get away without the after school in that case if I worked school hours.

When we were there in 2007, we nipped in a nursery in Victor Harbor and asked about prices - the cost they gave at the time was less than half of nursery here.

Mmm... maybe i should be a childminder!!

Guest guest569

we have been in the same boat for the past 4.5 years but you do make friends who help and pick them up on odd days. We also tell them to play on the oval for 15 mins till one of us gets there. Ive just started letting them walk home together as the oldest is almost 10 and there is only 1 main road ( which has a good safe crossing) on route.

Its tough to start but as your network grows it all gets easier.

Child care centres (like Good Start/ ABC) cost us $67 per day. Some offer half day sessions, but many don't. There are rebates available if you qualify through Centrelink (we don't!). Some centres collect children from the local kindy.

OSHC is pretty good value in my eyes - $17 per session or $40 for a day during the holidays. $17 for up to 3 hours care and tea thrown in is a good price.

Family Day Care is the organisation who runs childcare from the home. There are several people near me who offer it and they will collect from school etc. Some provide meals, some don't. Some provide nappies and some don't. Costs are anywhere from $5-$7 per hour in my experience. Family Day Care

Jo xx

Daycare for my daughter is $65 per day, but includes all nappies and lots of other stuff that some daycare centres don't provide. OSCH, I only use after school and it is $15 per child per session. There are lots of centres to choose from and most seem to have spaces, especially if you are flexible on days to start with, not like in the UK where you need to go on a wait list.

Don't know family daycare (childminder) prices but most will pick up from school, if you are happy with that type of environment, that could work for you as all your kids would be in one place at pick up/drop off.

If you are on a permanent visa and eligible, you will get a rebate on your childcare.

edit: most schools will have OHSC facilities, and if not, they often bus kids to a nearby school with the facility.

Hi I work at a childcare centre and they charge $65 for the day that 6.30 to 6.30 that includes all food, drinks nappies. think its $36 for hald days. You might get a rebate from centre link.

As for before and after school my son goes after school Ocsh its ($7 before school) $14 after school 3-6, with the childcare benefit we get we pay about $8 for the after school but at the end of the year you get half back of what you have paid:D

Hi

Im a Family Day Care Provider here in Stonyfell (near Burnside) I charge $9 dollars per hour - you will find that there are some FDC providers that will do pickup before and after school and if you have more than one child I do feel that it is something to consider..... every FDC provider is different... I for example only operate a minium of 8 hours per day - others do part time etc.

If you would like any more info please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers

Fiona Jackson

Hi hazel, i had a visit to a child care centre last week. Costs there were $62.50 per day but cheaper if you had them in for 3 days or more,before school price was $18.50 and after school was $22, price is similar to all other posts although it might depend where you are settling. This one also does drop of to kindy which I will need

hope this helps

karen