Sace subjects-help?

sduffy

Guest katsmajic

Im sure people with more knowledge will post soon, different subjects are awarded different points, but i know schools work out points differently, some schools give sace points for getting your driving license etc, a friends son has been working with guide dogs and has gained sace points from it, studying a vocational subject awards massive sace points, but it depends on what subjects are chosen.

Not relevant for you Sue, but my new job is vocational training, train staff/kids in subway/dominos etc in cert iii retail which is worth 80 sace points, massive amount when you look into it and how easy it is for them to do...and their earning money as it ties in with their pt job....so if any kids out there are struggling and work somewhere give me a pm, i'll see if i can help.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

schools can award SACE points for various thing the kids might of done all the way through high school.

ie running the school crossing, work expirience, helping in the community, having a driving license, having an after school job. These are classed as life learning skills.

Sue I think the subject choices have changed this year, Pm Lorluc i think she might have an idea as she has a child doing the choice thing ATM

My daughter has just chosen all her SACE subjects, but I'm still not really any the wiser! I know she had to choose subjects adding up to 140 credits, and one of her choices had to be on the "long thin line" (which I think means not much each week, but spread out over two years) - but as far as I can see, the only credit they get for things like community service (or blood donation but they don't want dodgy English-tainted blood!) are in the PLP subject where they have to do a certain number of hours of service, some work experience, etc, which she's doing this year. They also now have to do a research project of some sort.

Not much help sorry - I went to an info meeting but sstill came out confused! Luckily DD seems to understand the system!!!

SACE is 200 credits. This is for yr 11 and 12.

A subject that lasts a semester is 10 credits. A subject that lasts 2 ( as in full year) is 20 credits.Requirements Credits

Year 10 Personal Learning Plan 10

Year 11 (Stage 1) Literacy (from a range of English subjects and courses) 20

Numeracy (from a range of mathematics subjects and courses) 10

Year 11 or 12 (Stages 1 or 2 ) Other subjects and courses of the student's choice up to 90

Year 12 ( Stage 2) Reasearch Project 10

Other Stage 2 subjects and courses* 60 or more

Total 200

For the compulsory subjects a grade C or higher has to be achieved to gain the credits.

The major change is that students do 4 subjects at yr 12, 3 of these plus half the marks of the 4th are used for a uni entrance score. Minimum subjects to achieve SACE at yr 12 is 3. They are expecting the subjects to be studied at greater depth.

Otherwise it is the same as before, eg if your child wants to do chemistry at Stage 2 they will need to have done it at yr 11. Some subjects at stage 1 can be just a semester long.

• 3 months later...

SACE, you shouldn't worry, if with the subjects you choose can't get enough points the school tells you, but it depends on the school at my school for yr 12 we have 4.5 (.5 is Research project) subjects but you have 7 lines so ther the two years and PLP you get enough becaus ethere is still compulsory subjects, but its confusing to everyone since its quite new and with changing to ATAR it'll be intresting but some science and Lote sbjects get bonus points