Ocean View College

Willber

This is mainly just hearsay (from my mother in law!). It used to be Taperoo High and in the past had a bad reputation. However the only person I know who went there has a Phd and is a University Lecturer so she didn't do too badly from going there. It has since had a lot of money thrown at it, been revamped and renamed, and is doing much better, (according to the MIL they are doing some fantastic things there now) - although it is working hard to overthrow it's past reputation. It is in a lovely position right on the esplanade with views out to sea. Its catchment area includes some of the more run-down and deprived areas around Port Adelaide, but I believe children from as far south as West Lakes Shore go there too, so it should have a fairly broad socio-economic mix.

I had a quick squizz at their website n newsletters and it looks better than I thought. As said before a bad rep sticks for years, despite a change of name. They have introduced the IB middle years programme and is a birth to yr12 school, so there's a childcare centre on site as well as the primary. The area is mixed still but the newsletter was full of all the positive things on at the school rather than reminding the students, parent s and teachers to show up for lessons and respect each other as I have seen in some other schools' newsletters. The fact they do sailing is a plus for me. Have a look at their context statement on South Australian Department of Education & Children's Services which will tell you between the lines about retention rates in the senior years, whether the teachers get points for teaching there and facilities and the area it serves. You can also cross match with the myschool website which shows performance on the national tests. If it looks good for you then go n check it out in person and go with your gut feeling, it's usually the right one.