Catholic Primary Schools

Guest liamcnaught

Guest liamcnaught

Hi everyone

We landed in Adelaide on Wed and just starting to get over the jet lag. Today we visited a couple of suburbs. Initially we had picked Aberfoyle Park..really liked the School of the Nativity and Aberfoyle High School. Anyway saw a potential long term rental and was not impressed..totally realise there are alot of viewings ahead of us. I didn't seem to get a good feel about the area and I don't know whether its because it was Sat and not alot happening to see. Another factor is that there is no direct rail link to the city. My problem is that it seems to be the only non private catholic primary for miles around. I have 4 boys and private is not an option for us. Travelled around and we really liked Hallett Cove. Does anyone have any advice on Aberfoyle Park or certainly alternatives for primary schools.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Lia

Try this link to search for all the Catholic schools in Adelaide. As far as I know, all the Catholic schools are "private" and are fee paying, but are much cheaper generally than some of the private schools. Bear in mind that even state primary schools charge fees.

There is a bus service to the city, but Aberfoyle Park/ Flagstaff Hill are not great areas to live if you rely on Public Transport.

We are having a house built in Aberfoyle Park, but we have lived several years in Flagstaff Hill and like the area. It is a big place and can vary street by street.

Hi. Although Catholic schools are fee paying, they are considered as different to the private schools (regulated by their own board etc). The above post mentions a college that may be one of the more expensive (with an excellent reputation) yet it is cheaper than similar private schools in the area. Catholic schools are of course faith based and therefore do not discriminate on financial grounds. If you are actively involved in parish life and embrace the Catholic faith, your children have a right to a Catholic education whether you can afford it or not. All schools, private or Catholic, will also have a range of payment plans and scholarships available. Do not be scared off by the word 'private' as Adelaide has an abundance of schools with a range of fees. I would say, however, that some schools do not include everything in their fee schedule (hidden costs) so ask for a holistic fee outline. Many familes in Adelaide send their children to a DECS school for primary and consider 'private' for high. If you wish to do this, contact your local parish and they will provide your children with Religious Instruction classes for the sacraments. Hope this helps, Tracey

• 3 weeks later...

We have recently moved our child from Nativity (Catholic) to Pilgrim (Uniting Church) due to an assault within school grounds. Fees are comparable (both fee paying schools) but the class of education is miles apart. We are very happy with Pilgrim and suggest you check it out!