Kindy/Pre School

Guest scmercer

Guest scmercer

Hi

Just wanting some advice really on how kindy works here. My son is 3.5 and from what I am aware he can start from age 4.

Is there a set amount of hours each week he would need to attend and is it term time only? Also what are the fees like?

I am a bit confused about it as he is currently in childcare for 3 full days so not sure how this would work if it is just school hours as he currently does 9 - 5 whilst I am in work.

Any recommendations for the Hove/Brighton area would be great.

Thanks

Sheila

Guest guest3462

Hi, my girls go to pre school in Willunga. They follow the same term dates as school and have structured sessions. We do 2 morning sessions and 2 afternoon sessions a week and kindy is closed on a friday. In their final term they can drop a session and go for one full day. Times are 8.45-11.30 and 12.15-3pm. Fees costs $20 a term. You will still need some sort of childcare for him so if your childcare provider is a registered educational instition I would leave him where he is if not make sure they offer pick up and drop off services.

you could go for private childcare, the centre I work are open 6.30 to 6.30 and only close for a week over Xmas, we have a Kindy and a pre school room but its not cheap bout $65 for a full day but you may be entitled to childcare benefit which can knock a chunk off you might want to talk to someone at Centrelink I have always found them very helpful :)

Hi

Just wanting some advice really on how kindy works here. My son is 3.5 and from what I am aware he can start from age 4.

Is there a set amount of hours each week he would need to attend and is it term time only? Also what are the fees like?

I am a bit confused about it as he is currently in childcare for 3 full days so not sure how this would work if it is just school hours as he currently does 9 - 5 whilst I am in work.

Any recommendations for the Hove/Brighton area would be great.

Thanks

Sheila

I think for all the kindys you can attend for one session a week the term before you turn 4 (called pre-entry). At my daughters kindy she attends 4 sessions, she goes a full day and 2 half days because this is her last term before starting school. This term it cost $60. Our local childcare place will take them to/ from kindy dont know if all the same, havent used it yet as havent got a job yet!! That is how it works in our area, sure others will be able to tell you more if different.

Karen

Guest m.jephcott

My daughter will be 4 in February and is in pre-entry on a Friday morning. If you call the Kindys in your area they will be able to advise you on how they work, and when your son will be eligible. They are usually happy to help and will let you have a look around, or you could email them, many have websites and I was able to contact some before we left the UK. We paid 25 for pre-entry and it will be 65 for 4 sessions per week.

Guest Chandan

My 4 year old would have started Reception this september gone, he was in full nursery in London.. here he gets 2.5 days (9am-3.30pm, 9am-12noon) and he needs full time!! Fees for state kindy vary my one charges $80 a school term (10 week block).

I am in the process of trying to find out wha tis best childcare for both my kids and its certainly not straight forward..

Tina, would also love to know where you are as most centres i have spoken to close at 6pm.. and the shop i want to run closes at 6pm.. leaving me no time to get to the child care centre..

Would love to know if anyone would be interested in a nanny share... that may be simpler..and you can get the government childcare rebate too if they qualify. Im in Edwardstown