VACSWIM - urgent help?!

Sallyh

Hi!

I have only myself to blame because even with MIL nagging me over it, constantly reminding me about registration (tho she didn't know the date and I had it wrong in my head) I have missed the registration.

Problem was, registration was on Sunday, and I don't know about anyone else but the whole bank holiday thing (just got the hang of the siege of everything being closed on BHs (unlike UK!!) has really thrown me this Christmas - with some places closing all weekend, some Sat and Monday, and the whole thing has been a tiny bit annoying!

Anyway. I assumed Sunday nothing doing, and some reason had the date of registration in my head as being this week... of course the lessons start tomorrow.

From when I rang up it seems I am not the only one to be in this position and they promised me a phone call back after checking with the instructors. But they haven't phoned. There's now a recorded message on the info line saying turn up at your venue tomorrow at 8am and wait for the instructors to arrive - and I guess take your chances as to when you get given a session if at all. Seeing as the first session is at 8am I wonder whether you're supposed to turn up with swimming kit and children too...

My question is firstly - how bothered should I be???? Is it that good? It will be a big hassle tomorrow for me to turn up on spec, even moreso if I have to take all the children with me to goodness knows what possible bunfight. Have you done VACSWIM before? My children are pretty much total non-swimmers so I have to do something about that - question is, is VACSWIM some miracle cure for teaching kids to swim or is there something better (that doesn't cost the earth).

Would appreciate yr thoughts, thanks!

we have done vacswim (at the beach) for the past 3 years - I too have missed registration this year :( I think it is great, inexpensive and a good experience, I have only been to beach one as I wanted the kids to have beach/sea experience, and they don't learn to swim there, more water safety I feel. recommend it though

Thanks... looking at the description for the first stage swimming level it doesn't look as though they teach them to swim but do concentrate on water safety, possibly... I think we MAY decide to bother to turn up at 8am en masse as a family tomorrow and see if we can get in, but not stress over it if we don't.

I doubt there'll be masses of people at the one we are planning on going to, so am prepared to risk it. Wouldn't bother at one of the main swimming centres tho (like Norwood or Burnside...)

Well as luck (or something) would have it, they have got in to the 11.15am session at Magill. So far the only ones in that class (I told the woman on the phone they probably need to be, but that is for the instructor to find out!!!!!!!). ANyway, I'd say if you were desperate to get your kids in sessions for the VACSWIM it is a good idea to contact the venue you were hoping for and see if there are any places. I get the impression a lot of people missed the registration.

Just have to come back and post here and say that the Magill VACSWIM is fantastic - great set up, really nicely organised, lovely pool (Uni SA Magill campus) and wasn't crowded at all. My children are in a group of only 5 beginners - just what they need!! And apparently they might extend it beyond a week which would also be very good for us and there's a CHANCE they might be able to swim to some degree by the end of it, my friend thinks. :) All good- recommend it!

That's a nice pool, my daughter's school held their swimming carnival there one year. Well done, and good luck to your little ones - always think (particularly here when there are so many pools around) that swimming is one of the most important skills a kid can learn.