Easter Holidays??

Guest Guest75

• 2 months later...

Newbies may not realise that when there's an official "public holiday" here (I still want to call them Bank Holidays and get wierd looks from locals when I do!), then usually all the shops shut - I know it caught me out when I first got here and wondered why Coles wasn't open Sunday hours or something! So probably what Adelaidenow was pointing out was that shops WILL be open on the Saturday.

Good time to pick up some supermarket bargains though - shop about an hour before the shops shut on the Saturday and they'll be reducing lots of trays of meat by about 66% - I follow the lady with the sticker around!

Guest Chandan

just to say that yes it is still a public holiday even if the shops are open. i've checked.. im working the sat and get paid public holiday rates. in perth the sunday isnt classed as a public holiday.. which baffles me. This might help you with public hols in adelaide: http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2483

also i grew up here, was sad when going to the uk that you didnt have easter saturday as a p.h. made that mistake once offering to work thinking it was time and a half!!

Thanks Di, yes. Those people who own shops and/or work in them will be working, so it's not a 'holiday'. Chndan, Sunday's in general aren't a holiday and people always get double rates every Sunday don't they? Post Offices are open and they don't open on a holiday.

Easter Saturday (the same every year in Aus and UK) is a normal Saturday. In UK Easter Sunday is special, all shops shut (Including DIY places) here I think they can open (not certain).

I never meant the poster was wrong, and the fact that you said TV said there were 5 holidays says a lot about the quality of journalism in Adelaide. Shoddy at best! Just look at the Advertiser and Adelaidenow (not the person with that login name of course).....it's an embarrassment to the 21st century!

Guest Adelaide_bound

I am very excited by this thread (because I am sad and have no life), and don't think I've read it right as I was too excited - are people inferring that when it is a public holiday in SA the shops are CLOSED?!!!! :D As in, not open at all. As in, everyone gets the day off really and truely?!!!??!?!?!?!?

ohhhh, getting soooooooooooo excited about this....(again, because I am sad and have no life....little things please me!).

Guest Chandan

I do normally stand me ground unless I know I am right, so as petty as I feel right now please look at the Link I provided earlier, it's a south Australian GOVERNMENT website, very useful as it's where you can find out everything to do with Fair employment when working in SA and rates if pay, awards etc. Now if they have it wrong I'd be truly worried. please scroll down to the PUBLIC HOLIDAY table they have going on there. My point will be made. I don't have the luxury of watching the tv early evening so I have no idea what has been said on there. What I do know that for 20 years of my life living in adelaide way back when EVERY Easter was a four day public holiday. As a teen I worked in Coles And loved the lead up to Easter as people would take two trolleys around the supermarket because if the four day closure. It was crazy. Have a read of the safeworksa link in my previous post.

It may have changed in recent years, but certainly for the past few Easters the supermarkets have been open on Easter Saturday here, just shut on Friday, Sunday and Monday. This year Anzac Day means Tuesday is also a public holiday.

Mind you, if Easter Saturday counts as a holiday for pay purposes, then good thing!

This bit from the SKy News link seems to say the same about shop closures anyway:

The special arrangement means department stores, major supermarkets, electrical and larger sports stores can apply for permission to trade on Tuesday, April 26.

Those businesses must remain closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Anzac Day, which falls on the Monday.

Guest The Waite Family

Oh dear looks like we may have messed up as we arrive at 8.30 am on Monday 25th

If everywhere is closed we might be shouting for food parcels! :biglaugh:

Oh dear looks like we may have messed up as we arrive at 8.30 am on Monday 25th

If everywhere is closed we might be shouting for food parcels! :biglaugh:

Where are you staying when you first arrive? Petrol stations seem to be open by the way (bread and milk and stuff).

Do you men you don't usually stand your ground?

Anyhow I couldnt acre about pay etc, but the point being shops are and post offices are open.

No need for everyone to bicker.

Easter

Tut tut Matt! If you are going to be pernickety and pick people up on their typos, you really should try not to make any yourself! I have taken the liberty of getting out my big red marker pen and highlighting your errors! (and am now running for cover!!!!)

Are we all agreed now then? Shops in Adelaide open (probably) on Saturday,but shut Friday, Sunday, Monday ...and possibly some of Tuesday!

Bloody hope the bottle shops are open!

Guest Chandan

Yes I meant 'don't' <iPhone typing>. Just wanted the correct info out as this is a forum providing helpful info to Poms either venturing out or moved here already. Wasn't bickering just being helpful by giving the correct info. Now people won't get the wool pulled over their eyes with 'sneaky' employers taking advantage of their newly arrived lack of knowledge of how it all works.:o

Guest The Waite Family

We're staying in Moana so if anyone sees 4 pale hungry looking people foraging for scraps please throw us a few crumbs to keep us going till the shops reopen :biglaugh:

We're staying in Moana so if anyone sees 4 pale hungry looking people foraging for scraps please throw us a few crumbs to keep us going till the shops reopen :biglaugh:

If you're staying in a rental, perhaps ask the person you're renting from to get a few groceries in for you to tide you over?