Kids and school holidays

Guest Squareman

Guest Squareman

It's just dawned on us that we haven't given any consideration to what we are going to do with our son during the school holidays. Both my wife and I will be working! :err:

I see that the school my son is enrolled in offers day care during the school hols but its $40 per day! That's pretty steep. What does everyone else do with their kids?

Guest Fluterby

Hi Squareman

You may be entitled to child care benefit which will be deducted from you bill, so you just pay the outstanding amount (this is means tested). Then every 3 months you will recieve 50% of the fees you have actually paid back (not means tested). However you still have to lay this money out in the first place. But its gud when you get a nice lump of money in your bank account every 3 months.

David

Also, not sure how old your son is but the OSHC (Out of School Hours Care) during school holidays sounds brilliant especially for younger ones - they take them out to cinemas, parks, pools, the zoo ... mine were never young enough here to do it but have heard about it from other kids and they have a ball!

I paid $45/day - this included all excursions and activities of which there were plenty - excluded his lunch and snacks which I had to provide.

Some of the sports centres also provide school holiday care but I don't knw how much or their times.

As said 50% of out of pocket expenses are refunded each quarter

Guest shella_n

our daughter goes to OSCH for $40 a day but I have to say it is fantastic - it includes all excursions etc and they went to the Zoo, Cinema, Semaphore Slides etc etc. She had a great time and did way more than if she were at home with me.

We are not entitled to any rebate cause of the visa we are on bUt I believe as the others have said that you can get 50%back

check that you can get child benefit as this can knock the cost right down think it works out about $17 per day (what we pay) with the benefit and we get half what we have paid back at the end of the year, and my son loves going even put him in for the day when i wasn't working but thats me just being naughty:policeman: