International or local fees

Guest JT1

Hi

If you are on a 475 temp state sponsored visa do you pay local or international fees if you want to do a uni course and are the school fees for children paid as local or international fees please?

Hi there.

I have 475 as well, and we paid local fees for our children who go to primary and secondary schools. I am not sure about university, but I think it is the same.

regards

sw

By the way, I think the school fees thing varies from state to state in Australia so here in SA it's local fees for non-permanent visa holders, but in NSW for example it's international fees! One of other nice things about SA but something to bear in mind if you ever move interstate on the same visa!

Guest scmercer

I applied for a Masters degree at Flinders Uni and for that you to have permanent residency to be classed as a local, otherwise you have to pay international fees which are really costly. It may be worth giving the uni a call to check as it may vary for different courses.

Hi Thank you Yes I emailed the admin office and they said unless you are perm res you have to pay Intl but as you pay local for children's schooling that didnt seem right to me and I wondered if anyone had had first hand experience but it does indeed appear to be the case.

Might have to wait a bit but I am not getting any younger!

Thanks.

Hi Thank you Yes I emailed the admin office and they said unless you are perm res you have to pay Intl but as you pay local for children's schooling that didnt seem right to me and I wondered if anyone had had first hand experience but it does indeed appear to be the case.

Might have to wait a bit but I am not getting any younger!

Thanks.

We were on a temp visa and had 2 sons at school.Domestic fees for sons at school.

Got perm visa just before eldest started at uni,thank goodness. Yes on temp visa you pay international fees.

On Pr you pay domestic fees and these have to paid for each semester upfront .When you become a citizen after 4years you can defer payment by HECs or get a 20% discount for paying upfront.

So either way you will have to pay before each semester till you become a citizen.

Our 4 years up in June just as well now paying for both sons to do double degrees upfront,looking forward to 20% discount

Guest scmercer
By the way did you start the course in the end and if so how is it going?

Hi

Unfortunately I didnt start the course. Even though I have PR and only had to pay local fees, it was still 10K and I have two little children who I would have needed to put in childcare full time , it would have been too expensive.

Further education can be expensive here, even TAFE courses can be costly as well.

Good luck if you do decide to do it.