What year will they go into??? Confused.com

Guest leemina

Guest leemina

Hi

We got CO this week, hoping that will get visa by june therefore September for flights (obviously not booked yet). The thing is that i'm confused as to which year my boys would go into, and i cant find a link to anywhere on the net that makes it easy to understand.

My eldest will leave year 8 in the UK in July, going into 9 in Sept 2010. His birthday is 13/12/97

My youngest leaves primary school in July, meant to start high school in year 7 in Sept 2010. His birthday is 03/01/00.

I understand that the years run slightly different in Oz, but would like to have an idea of years to prepare the kids. Ideally my youngest wouldnt start high school here.

Any information or links you could give me would be great.

Thanks

Your eldest will probably go into Y 8, so just starting High School and your youngest will go into Y6, still at Primary School. In Adelaide the School year starts in January , ends in December and there are 4 terms to each school year, each term is usually 9, 10 or 11 weeks .

Hope that helps.

Yeah thats what i worked it out to as well...

Give you some idea, my daughter was born august 1995 and has just started Year 10....and my son was born in June 1999 and is in year 6.....

Guest leemina

Because of the term dates, does this mean my eldest could be in year 8 starting possibly at term 4?? or would it be yr 7 term 4??

Is year 7 in primary school then???? And high school runs from year 8 onwards???

Thanks

Hi Leemina

Your timing coming out here is similar to when we did it a few years ago (we arrived in the August with kids having just finished Year 2 and 4 in the UK) - basically whatever year in the UK they finish in the July, they'll go back to that year arriving in September here until the school year ends in December.

So if yours finish Year 8 and Year 6 in the UK in July 2011, arriving here in September 2011 they'll be in Years 8 and 6 again for a few months.

Most high schools here start in year 8 (some exceptions, mainly private schools) so your oldest will be at high school, your youngest in primary until the end of Year 7.

As kids here tend to start school at age 5, and in the UK (and parts of Europe) they can start shortly after their fourth birthday, the above does mean that your child may still be younger than others in his/her year (as is the case for our son), and some schools may look at that and decide it is better for the child to be with others of the same age, so sometimes migrant children end up actually going 'down' a year, but most schools here are very flexible and consider the individual rather than just blindly following rules and guidelines (I've found, anyway). It's not uncommon here either for a child to either skip a year or repeat a year for various reasons, so there are no judgements made if someone is a little older or a little younger than his/her peers.

Hope that hasn't further confused you! The thing about having an extra year at primary I think is great here, so don't let your youngest be upset about not being in High School for alittle while yet - Year 7 is a great year; camps, trips, extra responsibilities (like helping out at school reception desks), sports, and usually a 'special' school sweatshirt showing them as the top year of the school!

Hi Leemina

- basically whatever year in the UK they finish in the July, they'll go back to that year arriving in September here until the school year ends in December.

So if yours finish Year 8 and Year 6 in the UK in July 2011, arriving here in September 2011 they'll be in Years 8 and 6 again for a few months.

That's not totally true (although this doesn't apply to the OP) - if your child's birthday is in June, July or August they will probably go into the year below. There is no fixed cut-off date but it's around April/May.

That's not totally true (although this doesn't apply to the OP) - if your child's birthday is in June, July or August they will probably go into the year below. There is no fixed cut-off date but it's around April/May.

Yes, that's really what I meant about flexibility according to age - my son's birthday is late May (so he started school in England when he was 4 and 3 months), so he's now nearly a year younger than most of his classmates because he started school a year earlier than he would have here, but he could have just as easily gone down a year when we got here so he'd be with kids his own age.

Guest leemina

Thanks for the replies ladies. It's much clearer now. I think my eldest will be fine with starting high school as he's already used to it over here, and in a way i'm glad that the youngest will go back to primary for a while, i think then that he hopefully will get used to the way they work in schools in oz and make some friends that will potentially move to the same high school, making part of the transition easier. And yes that final year in primary is great, lots of trips, shows etc, thats where he's up to here now. Thanks for the info. x