what school year??

Guest bishop3912

Guest bishop3912

Hi, sorry I know this question has been asked numerous times, but after looking on the DECS website, Im still no clearer.

I have a child in year 5 (UK) July birthday aged 9

one in year 3 (UK) January birthday aged 8

one in reception (UK) November birthday aged 5

one not at school January birthday aged 2

Will they just go back 6 months as we start our new school year in UK in September and Oz starts theirs in January? Or will they go back a whole school year???

Many thanks

Bishop3912

Hi, just to give you an idea,

my son, who turned 10 in November started year 5 in January,

my daughter turned 7 and started year 2,

my other daughter turns 5 in March and will start reception in term 2 (May)

my youngest will start pre kindi the term after her 4th birthday.

Hope this is of some help

Wendy

Guest m.jephcott

currently school year has just begun, my son 9 in august is in year 4, I think the cut off for the year above is May. The others would be just 6 months behind your youngest would start pre-kindy in Oct 2012 and 4 session kindy in 2 years starting reception the following year.

Guest bishop3912

Thanks for the info, do you have to place childrens names on a waiting list for the prekindy like u have do do in the UK or do you wait until they are about the right age to start schooling??

Thanks Corinne x

Guest m.jephcott

My daughter started pre-kindy 3 weeks after arriving, without having her name on the list. However it may be worth contacting some when you arrive for advice and a look around. I guess it depends how full they are.

Guest sarahtwinn82

reception to year 4 is called Junior primary and 5 to 7 is primary. Don't be shocked but most classes are mixed years, last year my daughter was in class 5/6 but this year she's in year 7. She should have started high school in the UK last September 2010 but in Australia she'll not start High school till Jan 2012. ( her birthday is April). The truth is there is no hard or fast rules about ages and classes, kids get put into a class of their ability. I also have a 16 year old that really should be in year 10 but she's so advanced she's in year 12 doing SACE 2 ( A levels equivalant). I tried to make some sense of it before we emmigrated but it was as clear as mud, you just have to get here and see...lol.

Guest steph&neil
Hi, sorry I know this question has been asked numerous times, but after looking on the DECS website, Im still no clearer.

I have a child in year 5 (UK) July birthday aged 9

one in year 3 (UK) January birthday aged 8

one in reception (UK) November birthday aged 5

one not at school January birthday aged 2

Will they just go back 6 months as we start our new school year in UK in September and Oz starts theirs in January? Or will they go back a whole school year???

Many thanks

Bishop3912

Hi the cut off for state school is the 30th April so

July birthday year 4 (turning 10 this july)

january birthday year 3 (already 8)

November birthday will be recieption - will start year 1 next january

if independant schooling it is generally the 30th June,

Hope this helps

Steph

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FayeandAntony

Hi, just been reading all the posts and I'm still a bit unsure what year my daughter will be in. She is 10 (born May 2000) and in year 6 here in the UK. She should be moving to senior school this September 2011. I've noticed that the cut off varies from April-June and that also age isn't always the main factor for what year class they will be in. The reason I ask is because I think if we get the choice of her either being one of the eldest in the year or one of the youngest I think we/she would prefer to be one of the eldest and go back a year and be with more kids her own age rather than with kids nearly a year older. Kids grow up so quick, especially girls and some of the girls she is at school with now are really forward and I think, with it being such a massive change anyway, she would enjoy it more being in the year below.

Will it be something we get the choice of or does it just depend on the school?

Hope this makes sense and any advice would be brill.

Thanks, Faye.

Guest m.jephcott

I was unsure what year my son would be in before we came over, so I emailed DECs www.decs.sa.gov.au and I asked them, giving them a rough date of when we would arrive and his date of birth. It took them a while to reply but they did and they are going to be most accurate. You could also try emailing any schools you are intrested in, some reply some don't.

Hi, just been reading all the posts and I'm still a bit unsure what year my daughter will be in. She is 10 (born May 2000) and in year 6 here in the UK. She should be moving to senior school this September 2011. I've noticed that the cut off varies from April-June and that also age isn't always the main factor for what year class they will be in. The reason I ask is because I think if we get the choice of her either being one of the eldest in the year or one of the youngest I think we/she would prefer to be one of the eldest and go back a year and be with more kids her own age rather than with kids nearly a year older. Kids grow up so quick, especially girls and some of the girls she is at school with now are really forward and I think, with it being such a massive change anyway, she would enjoy it more being in the year below.

Thanks, Faye.

Don't know if it helps any but my son also has a May birthday - he was born in 1997 though and is currently in Year 9 (second year of high school) until December of this year. Going from that, if your daughter comes over any time during 2011, I'd say she'd be in Year 6 (most primary schools go up to the end of Year 7 here)..... but lots of the other lads in my son's football team (who are all similar ages to him) are now in Year 8, so she could just as easily be in Year 5!!

There, no help at all! Sorry!!! Suffice to say if you're coming over within the next year, she's going to probably have to be in primary rather than high school!

Thanks, Faye.

Like Diane says, she could be in Year 6 or Year 5 (from now until the end of 2011). My son is 11 (born July 1999) and he is one of the oldest in Year 6, so if she goes into Year 6 she will be nearly a year younger than some of the others - there are a couple in my son's class with May 1999 birthdays. My nephew also has a May 1999 birthday and he is Year 6 too, in a private school, I think he could have been in either year but my sister-in-law wanted him to be one of the oldest, not the youngest, in the class. My son should have started secondary school in England last September, and I am really glad he is still in a primary environment for a while longer. Being one of the oldest has been great for his self-confidence but academically he is really bored, so you can't win. He has made some good friends and won't contemplate being moved up a year! Being one of the oldest takes the pressure off a bit, especially when everything is new and children are trying to settle in and make friends - at least they can relax a bit with the work . However it all depends on the child and how easily they adapt, and you don't really know how your children are going to cope until it happens. My daughter didn't cope so well, whereas we all thought she would cope no problem.

It's not such a bad idea to talk to schools about mixed classes - for instance if your daughter end up in Year 5, a 5/6 class might mean she can have friends of a similar age, plus higher level work to challenge her if she needs it. A good teacher will also be able to do this in a single year group class obviously too! Personally I've found the primary schools here really flexible and approachable, so definitely express your preferences and judge the school on how they respond!

Guest FayeandAntony

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will email DECS and see if I get a reply. Like you say, it will probably be best to wail until we arrive (August 2011) and have decided on which schools we like the best. Then see what options we have. We are staying short term in Woodcroft and hopefully find long term around that area (give or take a few miles) so if anyone can recommend good primary schools around there that would be fantastic. We also have a little boy aged 6 (Born July 2004) so it would be nice if they could both stay together at school for a few more years.

Thanks again for all your advice, its very much appreciated.

Faye.