Which High School ?

Guest jlr248

Guest jlr248

We are hoping to move somewhere in the southern suburbs and have been looking at schools for our 14 year old girls. They are bright and capable with no special needs, though like most teenagers lack enthusiasm for school generally. I have shortlisted Hallet Cove r-12, Aberfoyle Park, Reynella East and Seaford 6-12 however we have said our girls can have the final choice (will try anything to get them on board!) . The choice of schools has largely been because of the general location and house prices being more affordable than other suburbs closer to the city. i would love to hear any opinions or advice regarding these schools good or bad. I know there is no substitute to visiting first hand but i would like to gather as much info as possible.

Guest leemina

I dont have any info on these schools but just wanted to jump on ship with you, as i'm looking at the same schools in similar areas. I'd be interested in any info too.

We moved over about 18 months ago with 14 year old twins and they chose Reynella East. From the minute they got there they have been made welcome and have a fantastic group of friends. Obviously I cannot comment on the other schools but I certainly would recommend Reynella to anyone. I have always found the staff approachable and very helpful and my girls love it there.

Guest jlr248

Thanks Mcgintyoz, its great to hear something positive. Our girls are not really looking forward to the move and any info that helps make their transition a bit easier is great to hear.x

Guest Steph&Lee

Hi,

We too are looking at schools for a 13yr old daughter (she'll be 14 if we get to go next yr). At the moment we are looking at Hallet Cove to live and the school, but will certainly now look into Reynella.

Thnx

Steph

• 2 weeks later...

We too will be looking at those areas and schools for our 2 boys aged 15 and 5.....we will be staying with relatives in hackham west until we find our feet and jobs and hope to be in adelaide either at the end of this year or early 2012.......

any info on schools for both areas gladly welcomed....we have a nephew at wirreanda high and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or info?????

many thanks

kath (veterinary nurse)

shaun (electrician)

niall & billy

Guest Nicky&Andy

if you live in seaford , you also have the choice of willunga, a school bus goes from seaford,moana.sellicks,myponga etc, my boys love it there, its just in the finishing stages of being rebuilt.

and of course there are quite a few private schools around,

My daughter is at Reynella East as well.......have had kids at the high school and primary now on and off for nearly 5 years...and have no complaints.

Its just changed its name to Reynella East College.....

One word of warning though........you MUST live in the catchment zone, especially for the High school....they are very, very strict about this, so make sure you check out first that any house you are planning to rent or buy falls within the zone. The primary school used to be more relaxed but over hearing a conversation the other day gave me the impression that they are pretty much full.....

My eldest daughter did a few months at the Hallett Cove R-12 as well..........I wasnt too impressed with that school, but that was 5 years ago now...

We have a couple of boys Aberfoyle High.

They run a programme called 'Ignite' which is aimed towards kids which the the school perceive as 'gifted and talented'.

The kids take an exam to get into the programme and the top x percent get interviewed along with the parents.

From what I'm told, the kids in the programme are surrounded by like-minded souls who just want to learn. They complete the first three normal school years in only two years.

Private school schooling for public school price.

Cheers

Guest needtogonow

I also have both of mine in Aberfoyle Park High. My daughter is part of the Ignite system there as explained by the previous poster.

They both love the school and it is set in a lovely green area. It also has great results on the 'My School' website.

Bex

Guest Nick11
We are hoping to move somewhere in the southern suburbs and have been looking at schools for our 14 year old girls. They are bright and capable with no special needs, though like most teenagers lack enthusiasm for school generally. I have shortlisted Hallet Cove r-12, Aberfoyle Park, Reynella East and Seaford 6-12 however we have said our girls can have the final choice (will try anything to get them on board!) . The choice of schools has largely been because of the general location and house prices being more affordable than other suburbs closer to the city. i would love to hear any opinions or advice regarding these schools good or bad. I know there is no substitute to visiting first hand but i would like to gather as much info as possible.

Just a word of warning..for some of these schools you will need to live in the catchment area as they are heavily oversubscribed.

The council is now doing extra checks to make sure the applicants live in the catchment area as some people have tried playing getting their kids in by using a friends address etc.

Ignite is excellent program ..but again it is heavily oversubscribed and only the top few get in after passing entrance exams and interviews.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jlr248

Looks like the short list has shrunk to between Reynella East and Aberfoyle high schools. Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of living generally in these areas? Also any further comments relating to the schools would be great.

Guest Taylors08
Looks like the short list has shrunk to between Reynella East and Aberfoyle high schools. Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of living generally in these areas? Also any further comments relating to the schools would be great.

Hiya again,

I also have a 13 year old daughter who attends Brighton High School and can definately recommend it. She also has a friend who now goes to Hallet Cove and she loves it there, and from what i hear is a decent school. But catchment areas are strict over here, most schools have a map online so u can see the catchment area.

Kelly x

What sort of info would you like? I live in happy valley, where some parts are serviced by Reynella East and some by Aberfoyle Park....

I replied earlier to this thread, my daughter is in year 10 (She is nearly 16) at reynella east, and i have no issues at all...she has many friends who go to the Hub as well....(term often used for Aberfoyle Park High)..

Guest jlr248

Any info would be helpful but i will list a few quick questions if that is ok.

Are public transport connections any good? Cant seem to find local train stations.

Is it easy to get to and from city and other suburbs ( would like kids to be more independent and not rely on my taxi services all the time)

Are there many basic facilites - ie shopping, entertainment, restaurants bars in either area.

My girls are both 14 , nearly 15. Is there much for them to do in these areas.

My questions are really based on the fact that i have heard that these areas are more remote than they look on google. Though it seems building is fast and furious in this area. Its not that I want to live in thecity because i dont. i am used to semi rural viallage life (i live near the lake district in cumbria) however i would like the city and surrounding suburbs all they have to offer to be easily accessed and reasonably close to hand. Thanks x

Oh that’s fine, I can certainly answer your questions based on the area I live in…Happy Valley/Woodcroft etc….and Reynella East College.

Public transport connections are good….there is a regular bus service that runs between Marion and Noarlunga, that goes through Happy Valley & Woodcroft. This is ideal for kids to get to the shopping centres… Westfield at Marion, and Colonnades in Noarlunga. Great if they get part-time jobs in the centres. My daughter works at Macca’s in Marion, although she manages to get lifts of us, her sister or her boyfriend…avoids the bus if she can! Lol.. There is no train station for our area….nearest would be Hallett Cove line, which would get you to the city. But think you will find our area is well serviced by bus to the city as well.

As for things to do in the area? This will depend on what your girls interests are……….are they sporting at all? Woodcroft and Happy Valley have small shopping centres, but besides fast food outlets (which many kids meet up at)…entertainment such as movies, bowling etc, is gonna be in Noarlunga or Marion.

You certainly are not going to feel isolated or remote in these areas……

I have lived here for 5 years now, and my eldest daughter, who is nearly 21, has never had any problems getting about from here……….but then she was also driving once she reached 16 ½…so had the extra freedom of having a car……My 15 year old has many friends with cars, so she again is lucky and gets out a lot!

Once your girls start school, make friends…everything will start to fall into place…they will soon find their feet.

Cant help you so much on the HUB, and Aberfoyle Park, as I don’t know the area as well….but its pretty similar to Happy Valley etc…small shopping centres, fast food outlets etc……..

Guest jlr248
Oh that’s fine, I can certainly answer your questions based on the area I live in…Happy Valley/Woodcroft etc….and Reynella East College.

Public transport connections are good….there is a regular bus service that runs between Marion and Noarlunga, that goes through Happy Valley & Woodcroft. This is ideal for kids to get to the shopping centres… Westfield at Marion, and Colonnades in Noarlunga. Great if they get part-time jobs in the centres. My daughter works at Macca’s in Marion, although she manages to get lifts of us, her sister or her boyfriend…avoids the bus if she can! Lol.. There is no train station for our area….nearest would be Hallett Cove line, which would get you to the city. But think you will find our area is well serviced by bus to the city as well.

As for things to do in the area? This will depend on what your girls interests are……….are they sporting at all? Woodcroft and Happy Valley have small shopping centres, but besides fast food outlets (which many kids meet up at)…entertainment such as movies, bowling etc, is gonna be in Noarlunga or Marion.

You certainly are not going to feel isolated or remote in these areas……

I have lived here for 5 years now, and my eldest daughter, who is nearly 21, has never had any problems getting about from here……….but then she was also driving once she reached 16 ½…so had the extra freedom of having a car……My 15 year old has many friends with cars, so she again is lucky and gets out a lot!

Once your girls start school, make friends…everything will start to fall into place…they will soon find their feet.

Cant help you so much on the HUB, and Aberfoyle Park, as I don’t know the area as well….but its pretty similar to Happy Valley etc…small shopping centres, fast food outlets etc……..

Brilliant . Thanks so much for taking the time to write such an informative post. Can't wait o get there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I also have kids at Reynella East - Tom's in year 10, along with Lorluc's daughter and I also have a daughter in year 12 who will have completed all her high schooling there. We have had no major problems there and Laura is doing really well. She is going to be taking her SACE this year and is on-line to get a good ATAR, which is the rating they need for most uni courses. She has been really happy there and has made some wonderful friends and I would recommend the school.

Guest Debbie Whittaker

Hi i lived in hallett cove for 10 years and would say apart from Noarulunga it has the best public transport facilities out of the other suburbs. i know this because i have been a taxi service for 10 years to my kids to these suburbs. Problem seems to be everything in public transport revolves around shopping malls and if you dont want that the buses are scarce. Often there is 1 an hour and they dont run very late in the evening, also, you often have to catch 2 buses to get to a place of interest. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Guest moviemummy

Can anyone cast any light on Seaford High? We are planning a move to Aldinga Beach. Is that school the best option.

L x

Guest amazonchick
Can anyone cast any light on Seaford High? We are planning a move to Aldinga Beach. Is that school the best option.

L x

The catchment area for Aldinga Beach is Willunga High School which is a good school. They also provide school buses to collect and drop off your kids so you don't need to rely on public transport whereas if you went to Seaford 6-12 you would have to find your own way there.

• 4 weeks later...

hi we are getting a short term lease in sept when we come over in christies beach.i have a 13year old daughter and im also worried about which high school to send her to! she find s some subjects hard but loves sports and anything practical so i wanted to send her to a school that doesnt just concentrate on getting high grades as i know she would hate it??

any advice gratefully recieved