Quote Originally Posted by schooled View Post
There are many outstanding teachers in both countries in the government sectors, but one wonders how come the private sector is growing so rapidly in Australia - we have over 31% of schools that are non-government now and growing. Whereas in the UK it's something like 2.5%! Most people want the best for their children and they see that there are many affordable non-government schools in Australia (albeit many heavily religious based which doesn't suit all families). .
I'm not sure to what level non-government schools are funded at in the UK. Federal funding and small amounts of State funding may be the reason non-government schools are growing here in SA.

I'd also suggest that there are outstanding teachers in the government AND the non-government sector. (Having taught in both)

Independant schools will continue to grow as long as people see the need for them.

And breifly on the primary/high school debate: there has been a trend for non-government r-12 schools to develop a 'middle school'. This is essential creating a 3rd sub school and runs from year 6 or 7 up to year 9 or 10. DECS is a long way from being able to move to that model, given the massive infrastructure it would require.
Primary schools (r-7) pride themselves on being able to prepare students for high school, and I believe they will always have their place.