A little help please

Guest soggy

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information and advice on schooling/education for my daughter, sorry for the long post but she does not seem to be a normal case.

A little background on her, she is Chinese and had a Chinese education until she came to study in a school for international students in UK in July 2005, she studied GCSE's for one year, as they were only being used for preperation for an A level studies, she took and passed 5 but did not get the 5 at grade c normally required for A levels but started her A levels at the private school in September 2006 and was doing well until she had to return to China in December to get her UK student visa changed to a dependent visa after I married her mother, this was going to take 4 weeks but ended up taking 12 and then the school would not allow her to continue with her A levels. No normal school would take her at that time and as as she did not have the 5 grade c's she was not able to enrol anywhere on an A level course near our home but this September she started at college doing a first diploma in science as this was the only level they would accept her on.

Now we have our visas for Australia and hope to be there late February early March so she will not finish here and will miss the start of the school year in Australia. We a looking at a TAFE course but am not sure she would meet the entry requirements, she was 17 years old in October so can't be classed as an adult learner and am not sure if any "normal" school would have a suitable course or if she is still young enough.

She is very bright and her English is very good ( she says better than mine ! ) if anyone in Australia has any suggestions or advise on the best way forward I would welcome them very very very much.

Simon

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I know your daughter is 17 already, but she can join yr 11. Yr 11 is the sstart of the 2 yr SACE programe, SACEis the equivilant to "A" levels, after this she can start UNI, which I am guessing ultimatly she would want to???

The school yr starts at the end of january and I dont think she will have missed too much to join when you arrive.

I know this because my son was almost 17 when he joined yr11, and he joined at the beginig of may, when schol started back after easter.

It will mean your daughter will turn 18 in yr 11 , whereas mine turned 18 in yr12. But to be honest it is not much of a stigma here like it is in the UK! It will also give her a chance to meet friends in the school circle, which is a lot harder in the tafe and work environment for kids that age.

Find the schhols you are interesed in and email them to ask their advice, but school ended on friday, so I am guessing you wont get a reply for a few weeks. Alternativly try www.SABSSA.com (not sur if that is the right initials) or try the department of edu (DECS) on the SA gov website, you will find all the links from there

hop that helps

sarah

• 1 month later...
I know your daughter is 17 already, but she can join yr 11. Yr 11 is the sstart of the 2 yr SACE programe, SACEis the equivilant to "A" levels, after this she can start UNI, which I am guessing ultimatly she would want to???

The school yr starts at the end of january and I dont think she will have missed too much to join when you arrive.

I know this because my son was almost 17 when he joined yr11, and he joined at the beginig of may, when schol started back after easter.

It will mean your daughter will turn 18 in yr 11 , whereas mine turned 18 in yr12. But to be honest it is not much of a stigma here like it is in the UK! It will also give her a chance to meet friends in the school circle, which is a lot harder in the tafe and work environment for kids that age.

Find the schhols you are interesed in and email them to ask their advice, but school ended on friday, so I am guessing you wont get a reply for a few weeks. Alternativly try www.SABSSA.com (not sur if that is the right initials) or try the department of edu (DECS) on the SA gov website, you will find all the links from there

hop that helps

sarah

Hi Sarah, Just reading through post wonder if you can help me and my understanding of the SACE programme ? I have two sons one about to turn 15 who i assumed would start in yr 11 and continue the 2year programme. Is it also possible that my 17 yr old son complete this programme or do you think this is similiar to his final year in the Uk at the moment where he is sitting five highers ? I was also looking at info on TAFE colleges and university's. Any advice would be helpful.

Karen

Guest sarahsmartiepants

My son went back a yr when he got here, he was 17 when he started yr 11, he has a friends younger and older than him here, it doesnt seem to be a problem here in schools. Personally I think they are more likely to make friends quciker in school than tafe or colleges.

sarah