Going to Uni - HECS Help

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if my 19 year old daughter would qualify for HECS help to go to Uni here in Adelaide?? We have full PR visa. I have read the website countless times and it seems to contradict itself, hence now I am totally confused :goofy::goofy:

Anyone got kids at Uni and getting HECS help??

cheers

Mandy

No you will have to pay her fees up front, but she will qualify for the same rate as citizens as opposed to the overseas student rate. Most unis will let you pay by the semester but you need to pay by the census date which is usually about four to six weeks in. If she becomes a citizen during her course then she can defer the payments from then on until she earns enough after uni.

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if my 19 year old daughter would qualify for HECS help to go to Uni here in Adelaide?? We have full PR visa. I have read the website countless times and it seems to contradict itself, hence now I am totally confused :goofy::goofy:

cheers

Mandy

We had a look and though we may be able to but were told no (for my wife).

You have to be an Australian citizen or have a Humanitarian PR visa.

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm

Maybe someone else may say different,

Cooler

Guest shella_n

Hi

I work for UniSA so if youve got any other questions I would be more than happy to try find the answers for you.

Michelle

Hi All

cheers

Mandy

I have 2 sons at Uni, oldest in 3rd year at Uni SA.Youngest in first year at Uni Adelaide.I have to pay full domestic fees (Commonwealth Supported) upfront before each semester census date.

When we become citizens this year we will get a 20% discount for paying upfront, roll on July as will save me a bit of money as both sons doing double degrees.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi All

Thanks for all your responses. I have researched the "Going to Uni" website and one page says we are eligible for HECS on the visa we have but another page says you are only eligible if you have a humanitarian visa, as said above.

I'm trying to establish if we are eligible or not on a full PR to HECS help and if not, what can we expect to pay in terms of fees for the academic year

cheers

Mandy

Guest Glindy

Hi,

I have exhausted every avenue researching into this. I am a permanent resident and go to Uni here. Last year I was in UniSA and this year am in Flinders. Anyway I can give you some info on this. You will be commonwealth supported but won't get HECS until you are a citizen. The average cost per subject (depending on what area of study) e.g. arts, humanities is $680 per subject for the semester, so if you were full time studying you would take four subjects, so it would be approximately $680 x 4 per semester upfront.

Hope this helps.

:D

Guest smit

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years.......... you are not entitled to a HECS loan and have to pay the fees upfront, for which you dont get the 20% discount that citizens do...................you do pay the same basic fees as a citizen, not overseas. my son pays about $9000 per year