Port Noarlunga Primary, then where?

Bevev's

Hi guys,

Port Noarlunga primary is definately coming out on top for our 11yr old son (will be just 12 when we arrive), my concern is, where would he go after year 7?

Does anyone have any recommendations/idea as to which high school is the most popular for kids who go from PNPS? He is an only child, therefore he would want to stay with the friends he makes in primary school, but I'm unsure which High school is the most favoured after PNPS.

Any advice will be more than appreciated. Thanks

It depends on where you live... There is Chrities Beach High (avoid) Moana and Seaford ok but their are some good private schools Cardijn College to name one.

Just type in schools in to google maps then start looking at their websites etc...

My kids are not that old yet so not really thought that far ahead :)

Guest hughescl
Hi guys' date='[/color']

Port Noarlunga primary is definately coming out on top for our 11yr old son (will be just 12 when we arrive), my concern is, where would he go after year 7?

Does anyone have any recommendations/idea as to which high school is the most popular for kids who go from PNPS? He is an only child, therefore he would want to stay with the friends he makes in primary school, but I'm unsure which High school is the most favoured after PNPS.

Any advice will be more than appreciated. Thanks

Hi we fly on the 26th June and have a place at Port Noarlunga primary I have two sons age 7 and 13, we love the look of the area but I am very concerned about the high schools, there does not seem a huge choice and the state schools in this area do not have very good reviews on the forums I have looked at. Even the two private schools in this area have negative comments made so we are going to wait until we arrive to research further. There is Willunga high school that has positive comments and I have received an email from the principle who was very nice and informed me that Port Noarlunga and Seaford do not fall into the catchment area but they will accept students in these areas if there is room, so considering that as an option. Claire :)

Thank you Claire, I agree there doesn't seem to be too much choice, but saying that, It'll be just as important for Alex, my son, to go where his mates are going, as this is going to be a massive upheaval for him leaving Wales! So like you, we'll have to wait and see what pans out.

There's exciting, your nearly on your way! I'm waiting on my skills assessment to be approved before we can apply for visa, although they see to be moving pretty quickly at the moment. I hope it all goes smoothly for you all and you never know, we might bump into each other in PN!!

Bev

Guest hughescl
Thank you Claire' date=' I agree there doesn't seem to be too much choice, but saying that, It'll be just as important for Alex, my son, to go where his mates are going, as this is going to be a massive upheaval for him leaving Wales! So like you, we'll have to wait and see what pans out.

There's exciting, your nearly on your way! I'm waiting on my skills assessment to be approved before we can apply for visa, although they see to be moving pretty quickly at the moment. I hope it all goes smoothly for you all and you never know, we might bump into each other in PN!!

Bev[/quote']

Yes 18 days until we fly, it's a big upheaval for them leaving their family and friends particulaly for my 13 year old, but I'm sure when there they will settle. Good luck on your skills assessment Claire :)

Hi OP and hughescl,

schools, I think you'll have to see when you get here.

You'll always get mixed views on schools and many kids have different experiences at school. If you want private, then you could look at Woodcroft and Tatachilla as well. But some of these choices will ultimately depend on where you live and if you can and want to pay fees.

If you come in the summer or before, join the local surf life saving club. We're at Moana SLSC, so I'll promote that as it DEFINITELY has the best beach :)

Cooler

Hi Cooler,

I agree, Moana Beach is absolutely beautiful!! Was there Feb 2010.

Will definately pay the surf life saving club a visit when we get there, although I think my 11yr old son is a bit too wary of the sea-life in Oz at the moment!! I know he'd love it though! How strong a swimmer do you have to be to join?

Bev

Hi Cooler' date='

I agree, Moana Beach is absolutely beautiful!! Was there Feb 2010.

Will definately pay the surf life saving club a visit when we get there, although I think my 11yr old son is a bit too wary of the sea-life in Oz at the moment!! I know he'd love it though! How strong a swimmer do you have to be to join?

Bev[/quote']

Without swimming, they can still do a fair bit and they also do board paddling. There is little to worry abou in the sea really. Our eldest boy is eleven and he enters to carnivals which are the competitions. He is not the best swimmer but does ok. The best thing, is that they learn about beach safety and can become more confident in the sea whilst still respecting the dangers.

Great way to spend Saturday's :D

Cooler

Please do bear in mind too some schools are zoned so you may need to find a rental within a certain distance of the school and that may be more difficult than you think. Look at where you will be working and also myself I wouldnt commit to any school until I had been and had a look around. My children are at a public school, I have previously looked aroung Tatachilla have to say at that point that I wasnt overly impressed at that time wouldnt rule it out in the future but would want to have a look around closer to the time. I have also looked around the Willunga Waldorf School which sometimes generates mixed comments. Andy and I loved it, my boys hated it. Again wouldnt rule it out as a future option.

Thought Id share my opinion

Lindsey

Guest cbeeb

Depends on the child, christies beach does alot of vocational stuff(building, etc) and has good outdoor ed, if they are more academic reynella east or aberfoyle park. By year 10 if good at maths and science is flinders science and maths. Although zoned is possible to get in. If sporty try a scholarship to brighton, if musical adelaide high, all do scholarships. THese are all DECS schools so not independant. Cardijn, Tatachilla are independant(faith schools) urrbrae is agricultural. If kids want to go to a particular school is usual for them to travel,Bus train etc. Reynella east is going to be a super school so should offer alot of choices.

Guest Shaun O

Hi bev, we are from Wales and are waiting our skills assessment through TRA which will be sent next week if my certificates arrive. Where in wales are you?

Hi,

We're in Aberdare, north of Cardiff. Where are you? Any idea where your wanting to go in Adelaide? We really liked anywhere from Henley down! The nursing skills board are working really short staffed, therefore applications are taking more than twice as long, i'm gutted!! What is your skill? Are you in Nursing too?

Bev

Guest Shaun O
Hi' date='

We're in Aberdare, north of Cardiff. Where are you? Any idea where your wanting to go in Adelaide? We really liked anywhere from Henley down! The nursing skills board are working really short staffed, therefore applications are taking more than twice as long, i'm gutted!! What is your skill? Are you in Nursing too?

Bev[/quote']

We are from Cardiff, and Im a painter and decorator so not in nursing lol. We are undecided on location at present and are taking one step at a time so TRA first then aiming to apply after July 1st. Interesting to see most people like port noarlunga etc but our family live in golden grove and Hope Valley in north eastern suburbs. Shaun.

Hi we are also coming to Adelaide hopefully in January 2012 if not before (house to sell first) we are looking at Port Noarlunga, Hallett Cove and Seaford and also unsure of secondary schools. We have two daughters aged almost 12 an 11 in January so still a little time in primary school then onto seconday. I have looked at Seaford but not sure if it takes children in Port Noarlunga and Hallett Cove, although it is very difficult o make decisions without being over there. It would be great to hear from anyone about schools out there a after all it is a big decision and need to settle kids as soons as possible as I am sure you will all agree.

We are new to this site only having posted one message before so would be great to make new friends, we recieved our visa 3 weeks ago after only 3 months from applying it is still a bit of a fantastic shock and can't wait to start our dream which started many years ago and has now come true. Lots of hard work and patience rule changes stopping our dream last year then changing again this year finally we are getting there. WOW look forward to talking soon.

hi just reading this thread and im now really worried about my 13 year old daughter we have got a rentle in christies beach and there seems to be alot of negitives for the christie beach high school why?? is there another high schools in the area we move over in september and im really worried now!!:sad:carolyn

Guest hughescl
hi just reading this thread and im now really worried about my 13 year old daughter we have got a rentle in christies beach and there seems to be alot of negitives for the christie beach high school why?? is there another high schools in the area we move over in september and im really worried now!!:sad:carolyn

Hi

We are moving out at the end of June and are now looking at Willunga high school, they take children outside the catchment area if they have places. I think to get a good local school in the christies area you need to pay for Private/catholic, based on posts on this site and others. It's very worrying when coming with teenage children my son is 13, we are going to make the decision when we arrive after looking at all the schools, try not to worry I think what works for some does not for others. Claire:)

Hi

We are moving out at the end of June and are now looking at Willunga high school, they take children outside the catchment area if they have places. I think to get a good local school in the christies area you need to pay for Private/catholic, based on posts on this site and others. It's very worrying when coming with teenage children my son is 13, we are going to make the decision when we arrive after looking at all the schools, try not to worry I think what works for some does not for others. Claire:)

Further south, is Southern Vales Christian College in Aldinga or there is a campus in Morphett Vale. I know that they and other private schools do have a bus service but I don't know their routes.

I know some one who has a child in Cardijn College and they think it's pretty good and their youngest child who is at St Johns Primary will be going there as well.

Cooler

hi just reading this thread and im now really worried about my 13 year old daughter we have got a rentle in christies beach and there seems to be alot of negitives for the christie beach high school why?? is there another high schools in the area we move over in september and im really worried now

Look, bad reps tend to stay a long time here so I would come over and make your own mind up about Christies.

Aberfoyle Park High School still has a pretty poor rep here yet things have changed a lot over the last fifteen or so years...has it's reputation? No! Does it deserve a bad rep? No!

One of my dinky-di friends is going to send her kids on to Christies. She works in a school, knows all the gossip,loves her kids...and isn't feral! Just don't panic!

Schools, like suburbs, seem to be popular at different times. Once it was Henley Beach, more recently Hallet Cove and now Port Noarlunga and Seaford. But whichever place or school is recommended or bagged, surely ultimately only your own opinion counts? It's brilliant as a starting point but not worth worrying over lol.

Hope that helps, even if only a little.

:cute:LC