School Enrolment?

Guest cables

Guest cables

Hi There. In the early stages of the process (have to wait for new July 1st rules... Grr!) but in regards to school (probably public), are the set enrolment times when Children can join the school? 5yr Boy & 2yr Girl (Day Care for my Daughter so I guess no prob there).

I mean if we fly in June for example, can children join school on arrival or do they have to wait until say Sept or something?? Will have to plan around the restrictions if need be. Don't know what area we're looking at yet, possibly Port Noarlunga, and have tried googling but can't seem to find anything.... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks very much x x

If your son is 5 already he will be able to start. They still stagger the start times so children cannot start before they are 5. Your daughter, depending on when he birthday is will start after she is 5. Whatever term that is.

Term start and end dates for the next few years here http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/custserve/

School year runs from early Feb to end of Dec.

Also, it can happen (and is quite normal for over there) that if your child starts school their first year in one of the last two terms they then repeat the reception year over. In all doing 6 terms of reception. Doesn't happen every time but can happen. So be aware.

If you fly in June they break up for school holidays at the start of July so depending on when you arrive, it may be better to wait and let your son join at the start of a new term in early July. I'd be inclined to let my son have a month long holiday if we arrive in June as tbh he'd already have done almost an entire school year and will be in need of a decent break and to have some down time. His summer holidays would be due and I feel its unfair to expect him to start school and only have a couple of weeks off before going through till Christmas for the summer hols in Aus.

I know we are very aware of the potential for our son to be doing almost 15 months of school before an actual summer holiday so we are doing our best to ensure we time our arrival to allow at least a month off before starting school. Of course, this will depend on if we move before he turns 5 or after, but either way, as he will have been at school in the UK we will still work it out so he gets a good break and time to settle in to his new home.

In 2014 school entry changes. If your child is 5 by April 30th they will start in January at the beginning of the school year. There will be only one entry date ( unless you move here and your child is of eligible school age). If your child turns 5 after this they will have to wait until the following year.

In 2014 school entry changes. If your child is 5 by April 30th they will start in January at the beginning of the school year. There will be only one entry date ( unless you move here and your child is of eligible school age). If your child turns 5 after this they will have to wait until the following year.

My MIL is a teacher and has forewarned us about this change. Thankfully our son is 5 in May 2013 and will be due to start school in the July of that year in Aus. He'll have been in school since Sept 2012 in the UK (much to my horror as he'll only be 4 1/2). We plan to time our arrival for him to start that July (arrive early June and have a month holiday) or to arrive in the late November, early Dec 2013 and then have an extended summer holiday before he starts school in year 1 in Feb 2014.

Guest Billious

Non-government schools (Independant) will be able to choose if they have a subsenquent intake after first term. It is looking likely that the Catholic schools will fall in line with the government schools. Lutheran and Christian schools may have more than 1 intake

I'm thinking that a lot of the big independent schools will start Prep classes for those children who are ready for school and don't need to wait til they are nearly 6. They will see this as capturing students earlier, but also parents will be looking for it . Some of the Private girls schools do this already for 4 year olds as their kindy classes start at 3 - 3 1/2.