Family friendly restaurants in the South?

Guest Coleybear

Guest Tina P

Hi

I would recommend Magnums in Mclaren Vale, its within the pub opposite the petrol station on the main road.

We have been lots with friends and lots of kids, they have a really good kids menu - $10 and they get a meal, ice cream and a drink. Portions are big, my youngest always gets fish and its 2 huge pieces.

They also have a salad and veg bar which you can go and help yourself to with your meal.

Friendly staff and quick service.

I would book if its on the weekend as it may get busy.

Tina

Guest ebstar

I was just about to start a post looking for good restaurants.We just moved from the UK 2 weeks ago and are staying in Hallett cove (moving to Happy Valley at weekend). We have shocked by how many junk food places there are. We stopped a a couple of cafe style places but again it's junk food. My children are a bit older (14,10,9)but the younger two can be a bit fussy.Can anyone advise on good places to go with the kids.Preferably not junk food but then not five star dining either. Thanks.

The Deep blue cafe (moana) is small but welcomes kids and the staff are very friendly :wubclub:

or fasta pasta christies, not sure if thats too tacky for you but i think its great cos its a family restaurant and the kids have the option of pasta (not that my kids go for that lol) rather than chips....

Jo

Guest Pam777

the crown inn at Old Reynella is good and we also like going to The Tonsley hotel. these aren't too far from Happy Valley. There is also an Indian restaurant opened in Old Reynella that we haven't tried yet but have heard good reports from.

The places that are popular with families are the buffet restaurants, like the Watermark in Glenelg. There's a reasonable choice of different dishes, and deserts.

All pubs allow children into their restaurants though, and the Victoria on O'halloran hill is nice with a kids menu, and the EMU in Morphett Vale has $8 schnitzel nights on Monday and Wednesday. There are lots of places though, our kids like Primo, the Vietnamese on O'halloran hill, Outback jacks and for some bazaar reason the pancake place in the city. If you get an entertainment book you'll have vouchers to encourage you to try various places and get some money off.

We often go to the Espy in Brighton.

http://www.esplanadehotel.com.au/

If you go on a Tuesday or Wednesday, kids eat free with every adult meal.

They have a play room with toys & video games, colouring, books etc.. which has a glas front to it so you can see your kids.

The only downside here is the Bistro opening times as 5.30pm could be a bit late for younger kids.. but the main restaurant is open all day (only get the free kids meals in the bistro)

We have also eaten at the Cove Tavern in Hallett cove which has quite a good kids menu, only no playroom..

Ive also heard that the Belair Hotel is great for kids.

http://www.belairhotel.com.au/.

I would always find the portions quite large for the kids meals as they are usually intended for up to age 12, so I split 2 meals between 3 & ask for an extra plate.

We've always found The Barn in McLaren Vale to be good and our daughter (5) loves it. They have a kids menu and you definitely don't feel out of place with kids there, even though it feels like a restaurant and not at all tacky. A good place at lunch time is Market 190 in McLaren Vale. Outback Jacks in Glenelg Marina is good as the kids get their own menu/colouring book and crayons. Hope this helps!