Teens - what do you do and when you are post 18 do you go out in other cities?

Guest beth

I am a parent not a child but wondered what Australian teens do with their spare time. In the Uk it can be quite daunting even going to the shops for the groups of agressive teens on the streets. Is it like this here or do you feel safe and have things to do? Also, is there anyone who knows what teens then do after the age of 18, stay in adelaide or do most end up getting a flight to i.e sydney for a night out?

Debating whether to move and the uk can be a bit hostile for teens so wondered if it may be similar there or not.

Many Thanks

Guest loopylisa

You wouldnt get a flight to sydney for a night out. At least I wouldn't and I'm 27 so a bit older than a teen but Ive never heard of any of my friends going to sydney for a night out! Maybe melbs for a shopping weekend/night out. Internal flights arent that cheap that people would be willing to fork the cost just for a night out imho.

Guest loopylisa

Umm, yeah tbh Im kinda into the settling down phase of my life. I also have ME which has kinda put pay to my partying days. Ive not moved back to Adelaide permanently yet but was over for easter and just the sense I get from my OH and his friends is they much prefer house parties and bonfires, some pubs but arent really the clubby type. I think its just so much nicer to have all your mates round at your house for a bonfire because then people can crash at ures and theres no need for people to be trying to get home and drink driving and all sorts cus people can just crash. Its more casual. Thats more my kind of thing at the moment but would be interesting to perhaps here from people who are more into clubs. I'm pretty much over clubbing here in the UK so doubt it will be much different going over there.

I think it really depends on the person and their personality, their aspirations if they have them, to live elsewhere or travel a bit. Some people grow up and spend their entire lives living in the same small town, only going away to go on holiday, they would never move away. Others grow up and leave never to return for anything other than a short holiday or to visit family/friends (I am in the latter camp btw).

Also if a person likes the clubbing scene that is in the larger cities in the UK, does it every weekend or likes to party hard, then chances are Adelaide isn't going to be for them. I've done clubbing in London, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Paris, Hamburg, New York... but I got over that within a few years and don't miss it in the least. It was a stage of my life but not one that ever dictated I would move elsewhere just because the lights were bigger and brighter (on the contrary, New York was one of my least favourite places and I'd never want to live there).

The Aussie lifestyle isn't like the British one in terms of nightlife and clubbing. Yes you get it to a degree in Sydney, Melbourne, maybe up the QLD coast, but I'd say the UK scene was still very much more... intense? Socially demanding, has expectations that it often doesn't live up to unless copious amounts of alcohol are consumed.

Yes some cities in Aus as bigger, brasher, have more of a nightlife scene but that isn't the be all and end all for many. Often people leave their hometown city for a few years but return later on (my hubby being a prime example as we are returning to Adelaide to live).

I like Adelaide. But then I don't want to be out partying 5, 6 nights a week anymore. I got bored of that by my mid 20's. So it suits me fine, more relaxed, laid back, less busy than some other larger cities. Social life is more based around friends, hanging out, BBQ's, stopping by friends houses. My hubby and his family all grew up with this lifestyle and all of them were happy with it in Adelaide.

Guest katsmajic

The young un's i know including my kids, live it pretty large in the city over the weekends. A quiet night is at the local pub....but thats usually a bit messy too.

House partys/bbq's are really popular with teens etc, as they are with us oldies.

The Duke is one bar in the city that gets mentioned alot, clubs are smaller here, you have HQ, Redsquare, and a cple of others that are good apparently.

• 5 months later...

Well once you hit 18 a lot go clubbing in Glenelg and the city. A lot of house parties it's just the same as the uk really you hang about at the shops, bowling movies, not the same as the uk but the beach thats a big one, if your kids will be at school the chances are they will be invited to lots of parties.

Guest Tterrier81

just want to add that i havent seen many teens hanging about on street corners and not once while i have walked anywhere have i felt unsafe at all, teens tend to hang out at each others houses more than outside

IMO Adelaide caters for everyone..... If you wanna night on the party trail Glenelg and the City have some decent night spots to go to. As for me I probably go out 1-2 time a month for a proper session? But am getting more inclined to night at the local with a live band and few mates..... Still have a great night!! As for BBq's and house parties..... Love em!! Had some of my best nights at friends houses!

As many times as I've seen it reported at late night violence at night spots..... I am yet to see any!! Obviously it's somewhere but I do think it's overhyped in the paper!

Some days in summer I've been on the beach till midnight.... Just chilling an gossiping!! It all goes here....

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.989929,138.574136

My girls are now 18 and 21, in their younger teens, they would go to their friends' houses, meet them at Marion and Rundle Mall, go to the cinema, meet for coffee, go to a beach and when the youngest got her driver's licence, she would drive to further away cafes and restaurants. Once they are 18 ( and some a bit younger with fake ID hmm hmm ) they tend to go to the night clubs and pubs in town and then depending where they live various pubs locally. Seems like someone has a party or bbq nearly every weekend. A lot of teens remain involved in sports so they attend practises and games, if not school ones, then local clubs. You do see smallish groups of teens hanging together but they usually are there to meet each other and get out of the house rather than heckle passers by for their enjoyment.