Secondary education - need some help fast please!!

Guest guest7008

Guest guest7008

Hi, I have gone through old posts re schooling etc - I have an issue that I need to try and sort out - We have our visas and are planning to come over March 2012 - My eldest daughter who is now 16 has just done all her GCSE's etc, she is now planning to go to college to do 4 A Levels - I am trying hard to find out what would happen when we arrive in Oz as to what happens to her? She would be approaching 17 - she would have got her all GCSE's (Predicted all A*'s) and would have done 2 terms studying for her 4 A levels - so my question is - where would she go? School or College? Could she then a year later at 18 be able to go to Uni - would her GCSE results be taken into account over in OZ? Could she join college in Macrh 2012 and continue with the Oz equivalent of A Levels??? She is stressing about it all and is saying that she may stay here now and do 2 years at college and then maybe come out to Uni over in Oz - But I want her obviously to come with us next year! If I can be armed with facts about what would happen for her when we arrive she may feel better - I have been on various eduation sites but sooo confusing I have a HUGE headache!! So hoping that you guys can help!!!

Guest loopylisa

They dont have a GCSE equivalent. They have SACE(South Australian Certificate of Education) which is equivalent to A levels. She would need to do this before she could go to uni but you can also go to uni via TAFE qualifications. I really dont feel qualified to give you too many details as my move at aged 15 was from the Australia back to the UK and i missed half of the GCSE course, I still managed to get 7 A-C grades and then go on to get AAB at A level. Be under no illusion aged 17 will be a difficult age for her to change her education and it is going to require alot of hard work on her part, you and her need to be prepared for this.

Guest loopylisa

Oh and also the SACE tends to be 'broader' than our A levels. So if she is thinking about options for A level I would say stick to English. Maths and Science even if these arent her 'favourite' it will more closely match the broader curriculum of SACE i.e dont let her take psychology, sociology, film studies etc. Says she with two Psychology degrees :jimlad: or maybe urge her to do only one option like this but make sure she has core subjects

Hi

We moved here with a 15year old who had just started his GCSE's in the Sept and we moved in the Nov and we had an 18 year old who had completed his GCSE's and had completed one year of his A level's. The GCSE's will go towards the SACE year 1 which is year 11 here. If your daughter goes back to school for one year and gets her year 12 SACE level 2 she will have an Australian qualification that is recognised and she will be able to go to uni depending on the level she achieve's. We convinced our 18year old who was one of the oldest in the year to go back to school. He had a ball made some great friends and had another prom! Hope this helps.

Regards Janine

Plus there are no colleges like in the UK sense. Year 11 and 12, the final 2 years of school are completed at high school. They are not set apart from the high schools. There are a couple of adult style colleges where she could also enrol to do her SACE, but it may be more difficult to make friends as these students only attend when they need to. If she is really worrying about the curriculum then you could have a look at the textbooks used for subjects here in yr 12 and see how she feels. Typical textbooks can be found here. www.Campion.com.au just click on SA options and click on a school. Most are privates on this list so list their text books that they use on the order form. As said before though, principles of sciences and maths and English don't really change, so these might be the way to go.

Guest guest7008

Thank you all for your help and advice - I will keep ploughing on and find more info etc and hopefully persuade her to come with us next year!! Luckily we have PR visas so if she decides to stay in the uK for a bit longer she can always join us down the line once she has finsihed her A Levels - Thanks again all of you xx

I guess the nearest to what I would call "Sixth Form College" here are places like USC, Eynesbury, and Marden Senior College - http://www.usc.adelaide.edu.au/

http://www.eynesbury.sa.edu.au/

http://www.mardensc.sa.edu.au/

But like Rachel says above, harder to make new friends there I guess.

I know people that go to USC and Eynesbury (in Year 11 this year, aged 17ish) - they are both fee paying schools but both girls seem to have settled really well.

• 4 months later...

It might be easier if she stays to do her A levels, because you need SACE and ATAR for uni but she could always go into TAFE, the problem is some schools start their SACE in yr 10. To do a compulsory PLP. Then in Yr 11 you start the rest of the SACE and you finish in year 12. You need to be able to get 200 credits and some compulsory subjects.

You should also check if the A levels can get her into uni./TAFE.

But if that doesnt work out there is a thing called the STAT test and 18 you can take it and get into uni, because it asses the basics like Enhlish and Math.

I have spent the best part of two years tutoring students albeit ESL, college entry, and all the way up to and through Masters at many of the institutions in the Adelaide, Uni Adelaide, UniSA, Flinders, SACE, Eynesbury etc. I have in that time helped Eynesbury College students, the less said about the quality of instruction the better; as for feedback and marking its not at a standard applied namely not timely nor thorough. They do offer 1 year diploma's especially in commerce as entry routes to university this is after a certificate level qualification that is a precursor - it is extremely costly as an International around $16k year. The diploma gives you a year of university credit. However, I would strongly and highly recommend the following University Senior College at http://www.usc.adelaide.edu.au/ this would track you to The University of Adelaide, my partner is an academic at the University and it is a fine institution so going to the college would be my suggestion if you chose Adelaide. However, economically I would save the cost as A levels are free in UK in state schools you will be paying for education here unless you are on a PR.

As someone who back in the dark ages did GCE O levels in 70's then left before completing my A levels I would recommend completing them although it didn't affect me I walked into university in 1982 at 23 with 5 O'levels never sat any entrance exams, but things have changed since then the easier you can make the entrance process for admissions staff and create as many opportunities for your tertiary education the better.

Best of luck in your decision.

Don't panic if your daughter will not have the SACE or an ATAR as there is the STAT test (Special Tertiary Admissions Test)!

I know a couple of kids who got into uni this way. One hadn't completed SACE, the other just hadn't achieved the necessary ATAR. I believe one of the main criteria for the STAT is that the applicant is 18 before the start of the uni year, which also makes it suitable for adult returners.

I wouldn't worry too much. If your daughter is keen to get her SACE, I am sure as she will be able to. What you are proposing is not so unusual....and remember, high school can go up to Year 13 for those that need it/want to spread the SACE load.

Finally, although it's always good to focus on English and Maths, SACE subjects can be pretty varied and include psychology, media, child studies, IT etc and SACE points are awarded for VET courses, TAFE courses, hospitality or even from working at some of the fast food places! SA is keen to get as many kids through as possible (although the Research Project is a big pain).

And with PR, I don't think uni will cost you any more than it would a citizen although I don't think you would be eligible for a HECS debt (or whatever it's called nowadays!).

Hope that helps a bit :)

LC

• 2 months later...
Guest guest7008

HI, have beeb re-reading all the posts about maisie and her schooling - we have now arrived and are now in the process of trying to sort out a school for Maisie - we have been to one that has advised that Maisie needs to go into Year 11 - even though she is now 17, and complete year 11 and then year 12 - she has all her 10 GCSE's from the Uk which are all A's - we were under the impression that these would be converted into Sace results for Year 11 sh she passes, so that she can join Year 12, with her age group - we are now somewhat confused and Maisie is somewhat taken aback that all her work from the UK is not being used and basically she has to go back to Year 11 and do it all again - can anyone help us through this rather confusing situation - also as Maisie is joining a school after easter (hopefully) the subjects she has been given are basically all the subjects that no one wants as the better subject classes are full!! Maisie is academic, wants to do Modern History, Pe, Maths English etc.....the subjects she been offered apart from the core ones (maths english) are Art, Woodwork etc.....any advice would be greatly appreciated x

The problem with her going into yr 12 now is that really the yr 12s only have 2 full terms left, they will have already had tests and coursework submitted for marking and your daughter would find it hard to catch up on these and the test scores might be impossible to do. It probably is better if she goes into yr 11 as she can settle into the school system and you can find a school without rushing. Many people have had their GCSEs count towards their SACE 1. Yera 12 is short and they really need to hit the ground running from day 1 in January as their course work counts for 70 % of their mark,they also have to do a research project which a lot of schools begin in yr 11 to get it out of the way. Perhaps ring different schools and state which subjects your daughter would like to do and if they can accommodate her.

Also perhaps look at yr 11 as a year to consolidate her work in the Aus style rather than going backwards, some things will be the same, others wont be. If she finds the going easier then she can enjoy the leeway this gives her and perhaps she could get a job after school, which is very common here or have the time to pursue other activities.

Also if your daughter plans to go to Uni as soon as she can, then you will have to pay her uni fees up front until you are eligable and gain citizenship. The most expensive course is medicine which currently is about $ 9000 a year. Citizens can defer this cost until they are working but PR students have to pay up front per semester. Two years at school, perhaps a gap year and then you would only have to pay for a year and olan for this. Just something to consider.

Don't look at her doing yr 11 as a step backwards, just look at it giving her more time to find her feet here.