are there primary schools in marino / kingston park ....name down to start schools?

Guest ras

My daughter will be starting school in January ( aged 5), we are not moving over till end of november, I have to find a school, job and home..............asap.

Me and my husband were looking at rentals around west lakes, marino, kingston park, areas or close by.

I have looked on the decs website, but I cant seem to see any schools in Marino, Kingston Park, can anyone advise of good schools in these areas, or any other good recomendations.

Seem to be going around in circles at the moment, getting DIZZY ! ALSO I obviously have not registered, waitlisted in any schools as dont know where we will be. Can I just phone the schools and ask to be put on the list, or do I need an address in australia.

if we were living in marino could my daughter go to seacliffe? thanks Linda for your help. I can see you live in Hallet Cove, we went there for the day was lovely, my husband thought it was a bit too far out from the CBD, How do you enjoy it there?

my in laws live in marino. Hallett Cove which is an R-12 is nearby.

you need to be in australia before registering with school. I found that I could get a place at whichever primary school I chose, the area only seems to matter for high schools.

Pam

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi ras

We live in Seacliff and our 5 year old daughter just started at Seacliff Primary. I am not sure about the zoning (catchment) but there are lots of kids from Marino that go to Seacliff. In fact - there is every chance Marino is in Seacliff's zone.

As for choosing whatever Primary you want - that wasn't our experience. When we went to see the Principal (great guy by the way) he had a huge street plan on his wall which he checked. Being in Seacliff meant he had to find our eldest a place - but I can't speak for Marino. I'm not sure if Marino has its own school - I might be wrong. It has 2 stations (Marino & Marino Rocks) - a timetable is here.

Generally.... Kingston, Seacliff and Marino are pretty much viewed as a single area - they are small coastal suburbs along the Nourlunga train line. I can thoroughly recommend the area - and the school. The beaches are fantastic - the trains frequent and only 20mins ish into the CBD, and dipping inland via a 5min car ride gets you some huge malls and sporting grounds etc....

The coastal suburbs along that train line are an absolute gem. North to south, the coastal stations are Hove (ish), Brighton, Seacliff, Marino - then a little further to Hallett Cove. Trains run all day and late enough to get you home from drinks in town (!)

I am not sure about the commute from West Lakes. There are some nice rentals out there, and you're between Henley and Semaphore which are lovely and popular, respectively.

For us, Seacliff ticked every box a dozen times over.

Hope that helps -

Ryan

ps Yep - I'm afraid most schools here (or the ones we spoke to anyway) will ask to see a rental agreement before you can enrol a goblin.

EDIT: if you want to know what's going on at Seacliff Primary, take a look at their latest newsletter.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

pps If Dover Gardens Primary School shows up on any searches, forget it - it's closed. We focussed our search on Dover Gardens for a while as we were told it had a school (and there's still signs for it everywhere) but when we took a drive to it we found it bricked up and deserted!

I have lived in Hallett Cove for 10 years and in Trott Park prior to that, I like Hallett Cove, it has grown since we came and the Shopping Centre has been expanded, it is a bit out of the way for some as the public transport system isn't up to scratch. I have got used to having to go by car here as I have been in Oz for 21 years, Hallett Cove beach is a rocky beach where Seacliff is sandy and safer for little kids. The house prices are reasonable for Hallett Cove if you intend to buy, There are 3 primary schools , one of which is also a secondary school known as the R to 12, [Reception to Year 12]. We have never regretted coming here, it is a challenge, we arrived before internet etc with a toddler and just had to learn as we went along. Made some incredible friends along the way, I suffered the highs and lows, being away from family etc, but both my children have grown up here and love Australia. you just need to remember the big picture all the time, small things can become major issues if you let them, remain confident at all times which can be difficult I know but keeping perspective on things will help. If you arrive in November it is almost the end of the school year which is mid December so don't panic about the school. the school doesn't reopen until end January as that is summer holidays. Hope my rabbling on helps, Linda

The nearest school to marino is Seacliff ( there are no schools in Marino or Kingston Park)

Its not zoned at the moment, but is in the process of being zoned.. Not sure of exact area, but im pretty sure Marion & kingston park will be included in the Zone.

I have 2 at Seacliff school and they are very happy there. Im now living in Hallett Cove, but decided not to change schools as they are both doing really well. (although its a bit of a drag driving there every day) and we live away from their friends, but it only takes 8 mins to get there.

Try to have a look round the schools as soon as you arrive so you have time to make a decision before the schools close for Christmas. Most will be closing around 16th December & return 30th Jan.

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan, thankyou so much for info. I also have printed your fabulous post in the 'how long does it take to find a renat'. ! How are you guys settling in over there? Luckily it's my last day in work Friday so I can focus on 'The Move'. I am still not 100 percent on an area but I do seem to be narrowing it down. We are hopeing to fly over mid november, I want to arrive in time to register my daughter in school to start in the January term in reception. We didn't want to leave until 2nd week of december but I am guessing that I can't register my daughter if I'm not in Adelaide.

We haven't got jobs yet, or temp accomm for when we arrive, and obviously have to find a place to live, so it's gonna be a busy few weeks, don't know where to start.

As you probably know with having a 5 year old, she is our main concern. How is she settling into life there. We had pickfords out today to give a quote and Alexis was starting to ask lots of questions, so we are slowly introducing the concept of going to live in Australia to her. ( feel so guilty we are taking her away from family firends!) do you and your partner work in the city? My husband is hopeing to secure a job with a firm in the city, is it far to drive from seacliffe? or it seems alot of people catch the train

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Hi Ryan, thankyou so much for info. I also have printed your fabulous post in the 'how long does it take to find a renat'. ! How are you guys settling in over there? Luckily it's my last day in work Friday so I can focus on 'The Move'. I am still not 100 percent on an area but I do seem to be narrowing it down. We are hopeing to fly over mid november, I want to arrive in time to register my daughter in school to start in the January term in reception. We didn't want to leave until 2nd week of december but I am guessing that I can't register my daughter if I'm not in Adelaide.

We haven't got jobs yet, or temp accomm for when we arrive, and obviously have to find a place to live, so it's gonna be a busy few weeks, don't know where to start.

As you probably know with having a 5 year old, she is our main concern. How is she settling into life there. We had pickfords out today to give a quote and Alexis was starting to ask lots of questions, so we are slowly introducing the concept of going to live in Australia to her. ( feel so guilty we are taking her away from family firends!) do you and your partner work in the city? My husband is hopeing to secure a job with a firm in the city, is it far to drive from seacliffe? or it seems alot of people catch the train

Hi

We're settling in great, thanks. We have girls aged 2 and 5 and they're loving it. They just see it as one huge adventure at this age. We worried about them lots at first - but then we figured we were just "worrying on their behalf" and their child-like attitude to everything actually becomes a source of strength!

Don't worry too much about getting here 'in time to register' - in our experience things can be pretty informal school-wise (and why not I say!) and you might find Principals quite happily saying "she can start next week", really - it's that simple.

You will need an address to enrol a child though - some schools we toured asked for a rental agreement as proof we were in their zone, others didn't seem too fussed - but you won't know that until crunch time.

As for Seacliff/Brighton/Kingston/Marino - I can't imagine driving into the city. Parking is fantastically expensive and the roads can get snarled up in rush hour - like anywhere. However, the train takes 21 minutes (26 minutes if it isn't an express service) and costs $3.09 each way (a 10 trip pass costs $30.90 and you stamp it each time you travel). Trains are frequent and (so far) pretty reliable. There are level crossings everywhere though (hardly any bridges) which is great for trains but bad for cars.

Any other help/advice needed just let me know.

Cheers

Ry.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
LOL Just you wait till mid summer when the temps hit 40 and the tracks start to buckle..... :biggrin:

Don't worry - a reasonably competent track engineer was on the same flight as me - my wife is very close to him :wink:

They might call it "Design Neutral Temperature" over here, whereas we'd call it "Stress Free Temperature" but y'know - potato/p'tahto. At the end of the day it's all about introducing the correct forces into the rail so that it expands "into itself".

Actually, there's more risk of curves flattening in cold weather than there is straights buckling in warm weather. Not a lot of people know that. Fewer people actually care - ask my wife (!)

Ryan

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Well we still need to pinch ourselves but we are actually..... Can't beleive it and it all feels a bit strange.

We only arrived today hence why we are still up at this time, took a nap and woke up 8 hours later, so Alexis is currently playing with her dolls and bouncing around like tigger !!!

Whilst she fell asleep in the car this afternoon we took a drive down to Seacliff and it looked lovely, we loved the green/ park area on the front and the beach was lovely, we seemed to have an instant feel for it, weve been looking for rentals but dont seem to be any, so if you are aware of any current or future ones just let us know.

I have my daughter enrolled to start in January in the hope we are living there. I was hopeing to take Alexis in for a quick visit this week, but dont want to get her hopes up and introduce her to the school when we havent signed on a dotted line.

Are there any nicer or not so nicer streets around there? there was a house we spotted on myhome.com which looked lovely but said seacliffe park.

(sorry for all the questions - had alot of coffee..... and eager to get family settled in).

I was wondering your views on a house with a pool as you have young children, alexis is 5 and wanted a pool for her but doesnt seem to be many or any, as seacliffe close to beach wondered if you use it much as a family.

Well best not bombard you any more, if you and your family are free to meet up some time our treat on the coffees and lollies.......... would be great for Alexis to have a little play. As not been here 24 hours and shes already asking for her cousin-best friend and her nanny...... lol oh the joys

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi - we don't have a pool - plenty of people do - we're pretty close to the sea so we're not too fussed.

I don't have any streets or roads in particular to either recommend or avoid, and we've lived in Seacliff since early September. Houses closer to Brighton seem to be considered more 'exclusive' hence expensive because there's a lot that goes on at Jetty Road. However, we know people that live in Brighton that come to the park in Seacliff for a bit more peace and quiet.

Take a drive out to Henley and round there too - also very nice.