What school year?

Guest DebbieLo

Guest DebbieLo

Hi

Does anyone know what school year my son should be in. His date of birth is 08/01/2001 making him 10 now and 11 in January before the start of the school year. In England he started year 6 in September.

Thanks

DebbieLo, you asked this question before i got time to ask it. The school system is so confusing, so please could someone help me:

We are hoping to be in Adelaide Feb/ Mar 2012 so really not sure what year group the girls will be in their dates of birth are Phoebe 10/9/98 and Charlotte 17/4/00. Eldest is currently year 8 and youngest is a current year 7 uk school system.

Thanks for any help am so confused :err:

They will most likely be in yr 8 and 7 here. By the time kids have been in school this long their actual birth dates don't matter so much as where they fit with their peers. I assume your girls will have just started in these years in the UK. Your eldest will be in the first year of high school here and your younger daughter will be in the final year of primary school here. There are one or two high schools that have a yr 7 class or begin at yr 6 and also a few R-12 schools if you would like your daughters at the same school, but there are not many.

Guest Kat+Rocco

just jumping on this thread my little girl would be starting svhool here next september....i know it's later in oz but shes 4 next august so when would she start school in adelaide?

They will most likely be in yr 8 and 7 here. By the time kids have been in school this long their actual birth dates don't matter so much as where they fit with their peers. I assume your girls will have just started in these years in the UK. Your eldest will be in the first year of high school here and your younger daughter will be in the final year of primary school here. There are one or two high schools that have a yr 7 class or begin at yr 6 and also a few R-12 schools if you would like your daughters at the same school, but there are not many.

Rachiegarlo, Thank you so much, this has been doing my head in. It would be nice if they did go to the same school, but not too much of problem if not.

Thanks again :biggrin:

Guest cyprus2001
Hi

Does anyone know what school year my son should be in. His date of birth is 08/01/2001 making him 10 now and 11 in January before the start of the school year. In England he started year 6 in September.

Thanks

hi there we just went through exactly the same, your son would stil fall in school year 5 here untill december when they packu up then in january would go into year 6. we find that the education is very different here and they seem to focus on social interaction and inclusion in primary wth a bit of education also obviousley we looked around many schools and found it real hard to get our head around how casual the schooling is here we have two sons of school age one in current year4 and one year 7 but we chose for the eldest to go to private school as seems to fit more on par with uk education and standards that he had been used to in the uk having done a year already in seniors in the uk that was just our personal preference but im sure depending on which area you going to live in there are some good schools both state and private around. good luck :smile:

Guest Kat+Rocco
Kat and Rocco, your daughter could start school in term 4 which begins in October after her 5th birthday. She would go into Reception for this term and then stay there for the following school year. If you arrive before then, she could go to Kindy when she is 4. Kindy is 4 sessions of about 2 1/2 - 3 hours long.

Thank you....I've been tying to work it out but couldn't....can they start kindy earlier than 4yrs or do they just use daycare centres?it's just she already goes to nursery school here for 2 and a half full days.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Kat and Rocco, your daughter could start school in term 4 which begins in October after her 5th birthday. She would go into Reception for this term and then stay there for the following school year. If you arrive before then, she could go to Kindy when she is 4. Kindy is 4 sessions of about 2 1/2 - 3 hours long.

Is the kindy funded or do you have to pay for it? Here, our littlest is 4 and gets 5 x 2 1/2 hours a week at the school nursery which is funded, all we have to pay for is his snack every day.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Government kindys are partially funded as in the government pays for the building, teaching staff etc. You will pay a term fee of about $60 to cover materials etc. Most kindys will have a snack time, which the children bring from home. This is usually encouraged to be fruit or vegies.

Thanks, that's good to know, another question I can cross off the list.

Guest Maria Day

HI All,

Wonder If anyone can answer my question. We will arrive in january 2012 in Adelaide. My son was born on July 2001 and he is 10. I also have 7 year old. What year should they be when we get there? Any info would be very thankful. Cheers.

Guest DebbieLo

Thanks,

I will have to talk to the school as they seem to think my son should be in yr4, this is not stimulating enough for him as he was in the top set in his school in England.