Daycare alternative NEED HELP

Guest lkaddoumi

Guest lkaddoumi

Hello all

hope you are doing well. Can someone give us some ideas on childcare alternatives? We are under 475 visa therefore no Centrelink support. I will start working next week and need to send our 2 little ones to childcare which will cost us AUD 330 per week per child!!! (this will cost around AUD 2,700 per month). Hubby is not able to work at the moment - he is recovering from a major surgery and my salary will not be enough to cover such amount.

Any hints, help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Luciana

Guest ladyarkles

Sorry to hear that you are facing this: no childcare and hubby incapacitated.

Do you have any friends that could possibly help you out until hubby is well enough to take over?

HI again

I have just been looking at this anyway, and it may be because of your husband's recovery from illness / surgery that you could be entitled to "in home care". I think the best thing to do is to have a look on the internet yourself - start here: http://www.deewr.gov.au/Earlychildhood/Programs/ChildCareforServices/SupportforChildCareServices/Pages/InHomeCare.aspx#efihc and then contact one of the providers who run it too: http://www.nannysa.com.au/

With in home care they are in your own home looking after your children, so may be good support for your husband and a slightly different option allowing him to still be their carer for now with assistance, or just "around" while someone else does the harder work of entertaining them / feeding them etc while he is recovering.

Guest lkaddoumi
HI again

I have just been looking at this anyway, and it may be because of your husband's recovery from illness / surgery that you could be entitled to "in home care". I think the best thing to do is to have a look on the internet yourself - start here: http://www.deewr.gov.au/Earlychildhood/Programs/ChildCareforServices/SupportforChildCareServices/Pages/InHomeCare.aspx#efihc and then contact one of the providers who run it too: http://www.nannysa.com.au/

With in home care they are in your own home looking after your children, so may be good support for your husband and a slightly different option allowing him to still be their carer for now with assistance, or just "around" while someone else does the harder work of entertaining them / feeding them etc while he is recovering.

Hello Sally

thanks a million for your replies. No, hubby will not be able to look after them for at least 4 months... They are 1 1/2y and 4y. The 4y old is entitled for pre-school but then again the after day care would cost basically the same. I will look into the websites you sent me. I already contacted ATO, FAO to check if I am eligible for any kind of benefit or tax rebate and so far nothing because of my visa.

Thanks a lot again and I will keep you posted if I can get anything out of it.

Luciana

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Paulyn Y

Hi Luciana, I'm a 475 too, and i know what u mean. the only place we can turn to right now seemed to be places like salvos and vinnies. also check with local council's community centre, they sometimes have homecare services, but i'm not sure if they can help look after your kids. church may also be a good place to look.

there is an alternative to daycare centres, known as family daycare, meaning u send your kids to someone's home (instead of a centre/kindi like environment), and pick them up at an agreed hour. problem with this is that it will still cost you just as much.

also look at meals on wheels and see if they can provide any assistance, until your husband is well enough to make a meal of his own.

hang in there, my friend - good times never lasts, but then again neither does bad times. 475 is only 2 yrs, things will be easier once we get our 887. look on the brigh side, at least you have a job ;)