State or Private

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows any web pages to check out schools ie stats etc.

I have family in Adelaide and both sent their children to private schools as they didn't think the state schools were as good as UK. We live in Northern Ireland and our education system here is excellent and known to be among the best in the UK. Having 4 kids I worry that we may not be able to afford private but also worry that I am selling the kids short by moving to Oz if they won't get as good an education there as here.

We are considering moving to North-East areas of Adelaide, Salisbury Heights, Gulfview Heights/Wynn Vale areas so if anyone has any info on schools around these areas or web pages to check out would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Guest Libby1971

Have a read around the threads for more info as this is a regular topic.

However in a nutshell, private schools are not regulated in anyway and some of the teaching, and I use the term loosely, that I saw going on was shocking. Some private schools are trading on reputation only and are very poor in standards of behaviour as well as the work produced by the kids.

Some state schools are poor, some are good. Same as UK. There are no statistics here which is right and proper as kids are not identical and they should not be treated as if they are.

The education system here is different. The IB programme means that the kids are marked harder so that they are in line with education around the world. Not all schools here apparently offer it but I think most in UK do.

Hope this helps

Libby

Guest caoimhe

Thanks Libby,

I think my prob is that I didn't have to give any thought to the school we choose here as they go to our local parish primary which happens to be a great school and I am afraid that I don't know what to look for in choosing a school.

Guest salisbury massive

Hi

Here is the South Australian Website for the Department of Education.

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/

You can access all the state schools on this site.

Click on find a school/preschool on the right. Then click on the red bit that says Adelaide.

this will then take you to a map of Adelaide split into sections. By clicking on a section ie. Tea Tree Gully, it will show you all the state schools in the North East.

for private schools try this website

http://www.ais.sa.edu.au/html/home.asp or this one

http://www.privateschoolsdirectory.com.au/adelaide-schools.php

Once again you have to make a choice of North, South, East or West but it will give you a general indication of the standards.

My only advice, you MUST look around and get a feel for the school. I had virtually decided on a school for my girls from the website, it looked fantastic. When we went and looked it was a complete shambles, Principal missing, vice principal only been there a month and couldn't talk about the school or the curriculum in any professional way at all. There was building work going on and we couldn't find the office.

its a hard choice but the suburb you decide on will help you with the school.

Jo

Guest caoimhe

Thanks Jo,

Great to get advice from someone who lives in the area we want to live in. I have family in Salisbury and Salisbury Heights so want to stay somewhere within reasonable distance to them until we get on our feet.

Will check out all web sites and make sure we have a good look at the schools. It's a big decision and it scares me!!!

Guest salisbury massive

Yes, it is a big decision and to be honest you couldn't go wrong looking in Salisbury East and Salisbury Heights. No disrespect to your family but Salisbury Plains & North are a bit rough.

for local schools have a look here,

http://www.shsr7.sa.edu.au/ This is my local Primary, its just at the bottom of the hill I live on on Target Hill Road. There is also Salisbury Park on the other side of Main North Road http://www.salsparkps.sa.edu.au/

The high School is Salisbury East, its a school I'm looking into and has had a lot of money pumped into it over the last few years. http://www.salseast.org/

Have a look at Greenwith Primary on the DECS site as well.

I think its a great location, Main North Road takes you into the City and into the Hills without having to leave the road until you hit the end. I've got fantastic views over Parafield Airport and the surrounding suburbs from the top of the hill and we get nice cooling gully breezes through on hot days. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Jo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest zx6roo

I know that both Blackwood high school and Mitcham girls school are both excellent public schools, well on par with some private schools. BHS is even geting a big light & sound studio with local mixers coming in to teach if your kids want to get into that.

If you live around there it'about a 20-30 min drive up to Salisbury, 5mins to city.

Hi when you are checking out the state schools websites don't forget to look for and read the context statement for the school, also available on the decs website. This gives you valuable background info about the school and its community. It lists how many non english speaking students there, how many are on school card, whether the teachers get extra points for teaching at this school, ( read not many want too), what facilities are available and what is offered extracurricular wise. It lists the feeder kindergartens or primary schools and gives an indication of the area the school is in.

The catholic education authority states that no child shall be denied a catholic education because their parents can't afford it. They also have discounts depending on how many of your children attend catholic schools. You may be able to get some discounts if you pursue this line and if you want your children to continue in catholic school. The schools are not allowed to publicise which children are being helped in this way.

Another option is the Christian schools which often offer a sliding scale of fees depending on what the parents earn and more reductions can be had by attending working bees etc.

The main thing when you come and have chosen your school, enrolled your children, is to NOT compare it too muchwith what you have left behind. The Australian education is similar BUT it is different as it aims to educate its future adults in a way that suits the country's needs. When my children began High school the first thing we were told was the education we had had was not necessarily the best for our children in their future lives and that education now is about preparing those children for what may occur intheir lives, they used computers and the jobs that have been provided by this development.

Rachel

Guest muppetbro

depends on your expectations - as a parent and teacher i find the public schools here totally pathetic in terms of the quality of staffing and curriculum design - no surprise the % of kids is so low that go onto university from public schools as compared to private schools - they are unchallenged unmotivated and totally out of control kids - changes are needed a nd a few years from now national curriculum in australia will be adopted rightly so for the future of the youngesters here

remember adelaidians consider the more southern and northern suburbs as the tough areas with many social problems - ive worked 6 months in southern suburbs and the standards of "people" are no different to a ****ty rough suburb in blackpool - apart from the houses looks nicer and the beach is nicer !!!

forums are good for people whose lives here evolve around a forum and little more

brighton is one of the best public schools simply because it has nice kids from stable family backgrounds attending it - hence house prices are high

same as in uk - nice areas nice people nice house prices!

expectations - if you want a school where kids swear every other word at / to staff not challenged and mess around then sure your kids will love school here

the quality of teacher in private schools is more professional also - they are under some pressure to deliver and any teacher with nouse gets out of the crappy public school recruitment policy

my opinion working full time in an average public school - but i am working in a very rough southern suburb which forum p osters regard as a desireable area to live which is alarming

drugs is rife, bullying and aggressive kids have more free reign here but...."no worries"

p.s. the english are most happy when complaining about things in the uk

Okay, it is true that the best high schools are the ones inthe nice areas, where the families are of the same opinion about education, behaviour and expectation. These schools are the ones that end up being full with kids from out of the zone, but if you are new to the country you will not know how to work the system. There are good state high schools, where children achieve good things and the schools offer a lot. There are also schools where people who know this stuff fight tooth and nail so their kids don't have to attend the local schools. The state system however gets stuck with teachers who have lost interest, have problems etc, whereas the privates can dump teachers like these. There are schools in areas where the background of the kids might mean their parents are third generation unemployed or have social problems. My children went to a very good public primary, but it was 8 kms away on the other side of town. There was also no way they were going to the high school we were zoned for. Or the one next to it. The important thing is to thoroughly research the schools, find out where others are sending their kids etc and why and observe the kids coming out of the schools. The Education dept has a habit of renaming schools with bad reputations to try to remove the stigma but people have long memories. There are large numbers of youth here who have goals aims and interest beyond a narrow outlook. I think you are painting too bleak a picture of our children. It is difficult to provide information to people who dont know the system here without being subjective and letting my personal views show. Not everyone coming will be able to afford private schools, or to buy in the "nice areas", so need to know how to find out the background info on the schools and what is on offer. It would be naive to say that drugs are not available in our schools, especially private schools, but the picture you paint is that the kids are rampantly consuming them. There are many kids who have strong views about drug use, smoking etc and they don't all live in nice areas. The other thing to remember is that the school's catchment area although situated in a seemingly nice area, may include areas that are not. Also not everyone wants to go on to further education or needs to. Many areas of work that are not demeaning do not need tertiary education. I think though that there is a need for trade/ business orientated schools to be available from yr 10, with paid apprenticeships beginning in school. I wouldn't say that bullies and agressive kids ahve any more free reign than in some areas in the UK. There have always been schools like this, kids like this wherever you go.

Forums are a good way to find out info, I dont agree that they are only good for people who's lives revolve around the forums. I came to Australia at 10 went through the school system, uni etc, have lived in UK with young children not knowing anyone and without immediate family and friends and am putting my children through the Australian education system and yes they do go to private schools, but I know that the kids who have goals etc who come out of the state system do just as well.. I always thought that there needs to be a service for people providing info beyond the government speel. When people are moving even if it's within their own country, they want to know about doctors dentists, where there are scouts/ guides, how the schools are, how to get in to them, where is the dance school, is it a good one. Where are the shops, are they accessible. Is the suburb a good one that has what I'm looking for........ etc and especially when moving to the other side of the world.

You sound a little disenchanted with your present place of employment.

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Schools here now are trying out airport style metal detectors to stop weapons being taken to school, still not sure why if you know all these awfull things about Adelaide why you ever took your children their....?????. But hey ho we cant wait to get out there, weather to hot.... schools c**p......bad drivers......expensive houses.....expensive living....slums in the north AND the south ( i guess as the sea lies to the west we only have the east to go to). Cant wait Cheers Graham

P.S but one good thing i hear the surfing is fab:jiggy:

Hey Graham, Adelaide is a great place to live, there is so much to offer> My son who was born here, and has apart from 2 years in London has grown up here with 2 English parents is proud to be South Australian. You will get good stuff and bad stuff everywhere. My parents considered South Africa,Canada and other parts of Australia before deciding on the job in Adelaide. It is a beautiful city that offers a good lifestyle, fairly cheaply. The main thing I love is the space. Our streets are wide and there is always the backdrop of the hills. I have met many families who have come here and the ones who settle fastest are the ones who dont look back too much. This is a different country with a different culture. It has old ties with England and is English speaking. people moving to US after all dont expect thing to be the same.

Good luck with your big adventure

Rachel

Guest zx6roo

Hey Graham you forgot to mention the school shooting last year to make the place sound ven gloomer.... and I'm sitting here watching a huge bushfire from my lounge window feeling guilty that I'm feel happy that the wind is blowing away from me yet it is burning peoples houses.... yet with that and more I love Adelaide :)

Go to Victoria... now that place is bad!!!! LOL (to be a south australian you have to hate victorians, it's a long standing tradition of the two states)

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:Sorry i forgot the shooting...!!! so who wants to go to Adelaide............................................WE DO....and cant wait. Cheers Graham

Guest caoimhe

forums are good for people whose lives here evolve around a forum and little more

p.s. the english are most happy when complaining about things in the uk

Bit insulting to all !!!

and this from someone with over a hundred posts in 3 weeks :confused: