Do all schools charge fees?

Guest Tweet

I would be really grateful for any advice that you can offer regarding schools.

My husband has been offered a job in Edwardstown and the company will be applying for visas for the family based on my husband's skills.

We have three children who are currently in Year 10, Year 7 and Year 5 in the UK. Our daughter in Year 10 is currently taking her first module GCSE exams.

I have been looking at websites for schools in Adelaide and they mention fees. I have tried to contact some schools but I believe that they are closed for the Summer holiday at the moment.

Do all schools charge fees?

State schools charge approx $300 per child,Private schools are a different matter.Catholic Private school are the cheapest we pay approx $2000 per child but the older they get the more expensive.Our eldest is 11 her fees are about $4500.Books are about $300 and uniform new $1000 but got secondhand for about $300.00.Some schools in Adelaide fees $18,000 per year.Loads to choose from so Good luck!!!

Guest Guest6899

As above, we have just received a bill for $320 for our 16yr old doing yr12 sace, + he has had to buy books etc. we are waiting for the bill for the youngest in y7 will probally be more as they go on a camp. we priced up private when we arrived and it was nearly $5000 for the eldest and $3000 for the youngest + uniforms etc which are very expensive. yes the schools are on summer holls but will probally be back next week getting ready for the new term. we found some schools better than others in replying.

Good luck Lisa

Thank you for your responses. My head is full of questions and very few answers!

Our daughter currently attends an all girls' Catholic grammar school here. Could anyone give me their opinion on the state schools available? Does the amount of fee charged reflect the standard of education given? Is the SACE equivilent to an A Level here and the IB a GCSE?

Thank you all for your patience!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your responses. My head is full of questions and very few answers!

Our daughter currently attends an all girls' Catholic grammar school here. Could anyone give me their opinion on the state schools available? Does the amount of fee charged reflect the standard of education given? Is the SACE equivilent to an A Level here and the IB a GCSE?

Thank you all for your patience!

my daughter will be starting the SACE she is sitting all her final GCSE's in the UK, what school she ends up in, in Adelaide will assess her GCSE's and possibly credit them towards the SACE i found out last week.

my daughter will be starting the SACE she is sitting all her final GCSE's in the UK, what school she ends up in, in Adelaide will assess her GCSE's and possibly credit them towards the SACE i found out last week.

That's interesting to know , my daughter is in year 10 currently sitting science and maths exams which she will complete in June, and although she is working really hard at them we were under the impression that they would count for nothing in SA. My son by comparison is finishing his A levels as they will allow him entry to uni ( if he passes them !!).

If you have any more info on this do you mind sharing ?! We are off in July.

Lisa

hi we go in July too, i was told the head master of the school will look at what she has studied and her GCSE grades and will decide what year to put her in, her grades will be credited, so we will have to see!! just Pm me if you want any info i may have, i will know more as it gets nearer i have a good agent in adelaide

jennet

hi we go in July too, i was told the head master of the school will look at what she has studied and her GCSE grades and will decide what year to put her in, her grades will be credited, so we will have to see!! just Pm me if you want any info i may have, i will know more as it gets nearer i have a good agent in adelaide

jennet

Hi jennet,

What school is that with? My eldest son is finishing his GCSEs and we are hoping to go in July as well but that depends on whether we have sold the house. To be honest though he isn't the academic sought but does try hard so i think he may be put back a year which is probably best for him.

Cheers

Mis

Hi jennet,

What school is that with? My eldest son is finishing his GCSEs and we are hoping to go in July as well but that depends on whether we have sold the house. To be honest though he isn't the academic sought but does try hard so i think he may be put back a year which is probably best for him.

Cheers

Mis

what my agent told me sounds like any school will assess the students academic ability and put them in the correct year for their progression.