Mother & Toddler Groups/Swimming in Glenelg area

leelee53

Hi Lisa,

Not sure on playgroups in Glenelg, but you could contact Playgroups SA - details on http://www.playgroupaustralia.com.au/sa/go/join-or-start-a-playgroup

Glenelg and Brighton Libraries also have sessions for kids - wriggle and rhyme for 0 to 2, or it's story time for 2 to 5 year olds. Details on http://www.holdfast.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=1355

Swimming - you could try the new state swimming centre at Marion. We go to Westminster school, which is off Marion Road - they run sessions on Sat and Sun for little kids - Sunday is a lot quieter from what I've seen. The pool always seems clean (my main concern) and my daughter has enjoyed lessons there from being 6 months old (now 4.5).

Good luck with keeping him active - my little man is 8 months and reluctant to start crawling yet but I'm sure once he gets going he won't stop!

Guest Paulyn Y

Hi, my little guy is turning 3 in May and i'm dying to get him out of the house (we have exhausted the glenelg's library selection of DVDs and Board book :P). here my list :-

Monday & Tuesday :- Goodwood Community Centre Playgroup, 32-34 Rosa Street, Goodwood; Ph: 8272 7148

Time : 9.15am till 10.45 am; Cost : $6 per casual session or $40 per term; Tram Stop No. 3

Wednesday : Glandore Community Centre; Giggles Playgroup; 25 Naldera St, Glandore 5037;Ph : 8371 1139

Time : 9.30am till 11.30am; Cost : $3 per family; Note : Tram Stop No. 8

Thursday : Glenelg Salvation Army, First Steps Playgroup, 2 Byron St, Glenelg, Ph: 0411 112 051 (Wendy Sudron)

Time : 10am till 11.30am; Cost : $2 + a piece of fruit

Friday : Dunbar Tce Kindergarten, Playgroup, 38B Dunbar Terrace, GLENELG EAST SA 5045, Ph : 8295 3925

Time : 11am till 12.30pm.

Baden Pattison Kindergarten Playgroup, cnr Alison Street and Kibby Avenue, GLENELG NORTH SA 5045, Ph : 8295 1371

Time : 11.15am till 12.45pm

Friday & Saturday : Goodwood Community Centre, Goodygym, 32-34 Rosa Street, Goodwood, Ph: 8272 7148

Time : 9.30am till 10.30 am, Cost : $10 per casual session or, $65 per term

I don't attend all the playgroup, but i have this list ready so that i can have the flexibility to go on a playgroup at any day of the week. i don't drive, so all these playgroups/gyms are within walking distance from the tram station.

i discover today that Goodwood Community Centre has got a toy library, but u do need to pay a small fee.

We use to attend kindermusik for last 2 terms, stop going because my man likes the gym better than music and movement http://www.kindermusikbybec.com.au/ the teacher is Rebecca Francis (lovely lady) :) drop her a line, but she may not return your call at the moment - she's away for her honeymoon, will be back mid-Feb ;)

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dr Scotland

Hi Lisa, my wife and me, and our daughter who will be 7 months by then, are moving to Adelaide in August and I think that Glenelg sounds like a good option. My wife will be a full-time mum for the forseeable future. Do you feel Glenelg is a good area for young families? Is it sociable and friendly? Plenty for mums with kiddies to do? Any other info appreciated! Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon,

We feel that Glenelg ticks all the boxes for us, mainly because of the location and all it has to offer us as a young family. I did alot of research before deciding on an area as we'd never been to Adelaide before. We were told by some good sources not to go North of the city, which helped to narrow our search slightly! We did look further down south, as far as Seaford, but decided that my husband would spend much of his working day commuting.

In the end we decided on Glenelg North. We have been so lucky in finding such a desirable location for our first Aussie home. We have the beach at one end of our street and a beautiful lake & marina at the other! We've found the area to be very friendly and welcoming. I dont have a car during the day but im out of the house for at least 4/5 hours a day. We will visit a park, walk round the lake, go to the beach, or catch the tram one-way down Jetty rd (as its free) then stroll back down browsing in the many shops on Jetty rd untill we reach Mosely Square where I will often let my little man play in the water fountains.

There are playgroups, as well as a weekly session at the local library aimed at 0-2yrs. We've been here 2 months now and been able to settle in with no problems at all, which i do feel is partly down to the location. Its a hard decision to make, made harder when you've not visited before. We never thought we would find a long term rental BEFORE we left the UK, but we found this property on Gumtree.com.au, and it was a break-lease. We were sent internal and external pictures of the property, and lots of information about the location. We then looked at it on Google earth, and decided that the location was the big selling factor. We arranged to view as soon as we arrived and couldnt believe our luck as its a lovely home.

We stayed in a holiday rental for the first 2wks, which i can highly reccommend if you would like the details? Anyway, keep doing as much research as you can on different areas, but ultimately you will have to narrow it down. Like I said, we decided on Glenelg for my husbands job, but also as it has excellent transport links for me should i need it during the day. Feel free to ask me as many Q's as you like, I remember what I felt like! All the best with your move, you wont be disappointed with Adelaide, we just love it here!

Lisa ;o)

Guest Paulyn Y

Hi Lisa,

Just want to add on :-

Kindergym : YMCA Glengowries (directly opposite Dunbar Tce Kindergarten) Cnr Maxwell Tce & Butler Cres, Glengowrie, P: 8295 1774. Days of classess varies with the age group.

Personal Best Aquatics at Immanuel College, 32 Morphett Road, Novar Gardens, P: 8294 1968. swimming lessons at indoor pools.

Playgroup at St Peter's Church (next to Coles, Glenelg), wednesdays, 10am, fruits + $2.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AbbyMac

Hi there Lisa,

Just in case you are still looking for places to take your little I can recommend Holdfast Bay Playgroup @ Holdfast Bay Community Centre King William Avenue Hove

It's on both on a Tuesday and Wednesday morning 9:30-11:30. Friendly bunch of mums, both Aussie and English and more. Superb facilities for the children. I go with my little one most weeks and she is 2 and loves it.

Abby