Bored 4 year old

sharons dream

Hello everyone, we have been here 6 weeks now and we are loving it my only concern is my four year old. In the uk Harvey had already started full-time education and was in the reception class at the local primary school. He was doing really well and enjoying being at school. Since being in oz he doesn't start school here until October 2012, he's at kindy 2 days a week and he loves it there and he goes to a four plus on a Friday afternoon which he also seems to like. But he's back to being at home with mum on a Wednesday and Thursday and he's bored. I'm looking for a good nursery/daycare near port noarlunga. It needs to be something like kindy more than a toddler group. He's missing school and learning.

It must be difficult. Perhaps if you wanted to make it a bit fun in the meantime and make it educational you could take some trips out. Go exploring a bit, have some outdoor (safe) nature lessons, gardening or some other crafts and things. And do some actual schoolroom stuff in the home also? I know nothing can make up for having kids his own age around him a bit more but you can still have lots of fun and make it educational also till you get something in place.

That is one of the reasons we are waiting till son has finished his first year of reception here in the UK and can just slot into school in Aus rather than having to wait another 9 months or so before he could start if we moved over this autumn. Its one of the things that when we decided to make the move we agonised over and as hubby still wants to do some major cycling events here in Europe we felt delaying a year wasn't so bad in the grand scheme of things.

Most childcare centres have a kindergarten programme, so that the children are school ready when they are 5. There are also activities like kinder gym and local libraries often run activities for preschoolers. Alternatively if you are going to pay for childcare you could look at a place in a montessori centre which is probably the same as a childcare centre in fees. If you still wanted to do school type stuff then you could sign him up to your nearest kumon centre. This means you take him twice a week and he gets workbooks to finish according to his level. They do maths and English. Otherwise do what Snifter says and take him on excursions to the museums, the art gallery etc or just down the beach. You could enrol him in swimming lessons at state swim, they have them during the day in the morning at the beginning levels.

Yes, I'd enjoy your newfound freedom and take him out places while you can. I doubt he will be complaining. You can have "outing" days and "visiting" days. And that should just about fill up your week if he's got 2 or 3 days already spoken for, a day where you see friends, and another day which is your special "outing" day that will be a wonderful introduction to his new life. You can join somewhere like a wildlife park, even the zoo, if you consider the cost of childcare, maybe the train museum - and then you will have 3 places for a start to go back to for repeat visits. Then there are places like Tandanya, the museum in the city, going for joyrides on trains... I very much doubt he will be bored.

If you are finding being at home with him hard, then I should think these things might help you with that feeling of having gone backwards too.

Guest Ric & Paula

Perhaps venture to Port Adelaide one day.The Maritime Museum is great,as is the Aviation and the train museum,all within close vicinity to each other.There are also cheap dolphin cruises,the lighthouse,make a day of it my kids all loved it there.