possibility of 18 yr old doing yr 12 ?

brucesbabe

Hi,

My son received his AS re sits plus a few A2 module results yesterday and he is not happy, currently it looks like the best he can achieve in the three sciences are Ds. As we don't think this will be enough to get him into uni we wondered if there is a possibility of him going back to school in SA to gain a yr 12 qualification. He will turn 18 on Aug 15th, 2 weeks after we arrive.

Any advice gratefully received

Lisa

Hi Lisa

When we got here our son was 18 in the Sept and we arrived in the Nov we talked him into going back to school here after he had finished school in the uk in the July as he didnt want to finish his A levels.

He had a fantastic year 12 got his SACE level 2 met some great friends. He was the oldest in the year but had a great time the teachers were great with him knowing his age and he didnt really want to be there.

Hope this helps.

Regards Janine

You could also look into the possibility of him going to a senior college such as USC in the city to do Year 12 - it's bit more "grown up" than being at a school (no uniforms etc) - or do a google for something I think is called a SAIBT course - which is kind of a bridging course into Uni.

Guest Jennet
Hi Lisa

When we got here our son was 18 in the Sept and we arrived in the Nov we talked him into going back to school here after he had finished school in the uk in the July as he didnt want to finish his A levels.

He had a fantastic year 12 got his SACE level 2 met some great friends. He was the oldest in the year but had a great time the teachers were great with him knowing his age and he didnt really want to be there.

Hope this helps.

Regards Janine

hi which school was that, we will be in seaford in July my eldest is 16 completed GCSE's by the time we move out so looking for good schools, willunga high is a possibility as my friends daughter goes there, but not had much info on high schools only brighton but we are out of the zone any way.

Hi Lisa

Hope this helps.

Regards Janine

Hi Janine,

Thanks that really is helpful. Did your son do the whole two years or was he able to get away with just going back one year ?

My son hopes that maybe his AS grades will possibly count towards his yr 12 qualification and stop him having to start from scratch.

Cheers again

Lisa

You could also look into the possibility of him going to a senior college such as USC in the city to do Year 12 - it's bit more "grown up" than being at a school (no uniforms etc) - or do a google for something I think is called a SAIBT course - which is kind of a bridging course into Uni.

Hi Diane, thanks,

That's another thing he can consider.

He's trying to decide if it's worth finishing his finals now, or worried that if he does badly in them, they may even bring down the overal grades rendering his AS grades useless. Obviously we want him to finish to the best of his ability, as it seems such a waste to quit now.

Lisa

My son turned 18 halfway through yr 12, there are quite a few kids who are 18 in yr 12, no one seems to mind, certainly not the kids. USC costs about $10000 a year. Eynsbury about $14000. The coursework for yr 12 now counts for 70% of the final grade. I think he would have a good year as in most schools the yr 12s really pull together as a group and have their formals and dinners and things and it's easier to make friends, as the kids are there of most of the day. Most schools allow yr 12s to be off campus for their study periods ( frees ) so there is some leeway. Most state schools don't have a really formal uniform and the yr 12s usually wear their yr 12 jackets or hoodies with grey pants/black shoes for the boys and a polo shirt. Anyways everyone will be wearing the uniform so your son needn't feel like an idiot.

My son turned 18 halfway through yr 12, there are quite a few kids who are 18 in yr 12, no one seems to mind, certainly not the kids. USC costs about $10000 a year. Eynsbury about $14000. The coursework for yr 12 now counts for 70% of the final grade. I think he would have a good year as in most schools the yr 12s really pull together as a group and have their formals and dinners and things and it's easier to make friends, as the kids are there of most of the day. Most schools allow yr 12s to be off campus for their study periods ( frees ) so there is some leeway. Most state schools don't have a really formal uniform and the yr 12s usually wear their yr 12 jackets or hoodies with grey pants/black shoes for the boys and a polo shirt. Anyways everyone will be wearing the uniform so your son needn't feel like an idiot.

Hi,

Do you know whether he will have to go back two years, and also if he was to join a state school what sort of fees we would be looking at ?

Thanks

Lisa

As Janine said he could probably go straight into yr 12. In fact he probably would have already done a lot of the work, if he takes the same sort of subjects, so as long as he wasn't over confident about having done it before and put in the hard yard, he'd probably find his work easier. School fees for high school vary between each state school. The cheapest are around $300 for the year, but some go up to about $600 - 700. Then there is a nominal book hire fee and uniform. Most schools will let you pay in instalments if you ask. he could view it as a fresh start.

Here are some state high school fees for example....

http://www.gihs.sa.edu.au/__files/f/2912/Materials%20&%20Services%20Charges%20Year%208%20-%2013.pdf

http://www.reynellaec.sa.edu.au/general/pdf/Statrequir%20Support%20Letter2012.pdf

http://www.theheightsschool.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=76&Itemid=421

Hi everyone,

That's brilliant news. Thanks for the links also. So, all being well then he will just do the one year. He got around 9 gcses and 5 of those were As or A star so it sounds hopeful that they would qualify him to do yr 12. He also has three AS levels at grade D. Another question ! - As we are arriving in July/Aug, will he have to wait til Feb to start his studies again? He is thinking he may get himself a little job between arriving in SA and starting back to school.

Cheers again

Lisa

He would have to begin yr 12 at the beginning of the school yr in January to do the full year. He could however go into yr 11 for 6 months when you arrive and choose lighter fun subjects, which he may not have done before. This would mean he would make friends quickly and be really settled by the time he goes into yr 12 and have some mates to knock around with during the summer. He could also get an after school job, many get jobs in places like supermarkets and fast-food restaurants from when they are in yr 10.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

I think he is going to make a decision whether to complete his A levels or not based on all this information, so if it is definitely the case that he will be able to go back to school and complete year 12 then these will be informed decisions.

Thanks so much , this has been so helpful. All this advice has turned a bad situation into something with a positive outlook !

Lisa

My son is wondering whether his AS levels will have any weight in counting towards his SACE level 1, or that his gcses alone will be enough to allow him to only need to do yr 12. If they do count, he wants to spend his next few months in the UK going to AS classes with the intention to bring those Ds up to Cs by re sitting the finals he sat last June, instead of sitting his second year finals this June with the likelihood that he would perform poorly and end up bringing his overall grades down.

If the AS levels count for nothing then he may as well give up school now and try to find some employment in the meantime.

Lisa

Guest jan&andy

We arrived in Adelaide in September 2008, when my eldest daughter had just finished her GCSE's in the UK. The GCSE's gave her credit for SACE level 1 (year 11) and although she joined the school straight away she didn't need to take any exams until SACE level 2 (year 12). From our experience, just be mindful that even though they give credit for a subject it may not mean that the work you did in the UK for GCSE is equal to the level of year 11 here. My daughter did really well in her GCSE's and although she got A*s and As in her Maths and Science, she found that the work she had covered was only the equivalent to year 10 here so there was a large chunk of knowledge missing (particularly for Maths) when she started year 12. It doesn't seem to work the same for all subjects and in Languages the standard in the UK for GCSE was much the same as SACE level 2 here. I would advise you to check the syllabus of the subjects first.

Good luck with you decision.

Janice

Thanks,

I've currently got a high school teacher emailing the sace board for more grade specific info on our behalf, so with any luck we will be able to make an informed decision. The fact that my son has also almost completed two years of sixth form may help to bridge the gap you speak of.

Cheers

Lisa

Guest gymnast11
Hi,

My son received his AS re sits plus a few A2 module results yesterday and he is not happy, currently it looks like the best he can achieve in the three sciences are Ds. As we don't think this will be enough to get him into uni we wondered if there is a possibility of him going back to school in SA to gain a yr 12 qualification. He will turn 18 on Aug 15th, 2 weeks after we arrive.

Any advice gratefully received

Lisa

hello my daughter was 18 when we arrived in nov and she is doing year 12 even though she only had 6 months left in england to finish and go to uni, she has to have the equivalent to the oz certificates so is doing year 12 at adult college for a year and loves it :)