Enrolling at school

Guest angiewebster

Guest angiewebster

Hello

My family will be emigrating to Adelaide after my son has sat his GCSE's and hope to arrive before the next school year begins in Australia.

One of our main aims is to obviously arrange a school for my son as he wants to continue his education and hopefully go on to Uni.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been through this and has any advice on enrolling at schools.

We have done some research and he would be starting in Yr 12???? Is this something which can be done before we leave the UK or do we have to wait until we are actually living there?

Many thanks

Angie

Guest Shmaggle

Hi Angie, we visited a school whilst on our recce and have corresponded by email, they have sent us forms via the post to here in the UK to apply for places.

Guest angiewebster

Thanks for that.

I have made a 'shortlist' of schools so I'll make a start and contact them.

When are you emigrating yourself?

There's lots to arrange isn't there but I guess it keeps us out of mischief!!??

Guest Shmaggle

Hoping to be out there in time for the next school year. Hoping! When are you going? Am having a wobble today, reading around the form and made the mistake of reading all the 'hate it, going back to uk' threads! Trying to fix in my head how much we liked it when we went on recce! The school has been very helpful and friendly, my kids still at primary level

Guest angiewebster

Funny you should say that, I've just been reading the exact things! But none of them have deterred me, it is sad to read so many but at the same time interesting to see what other people's experiences have been. Think positive though, we have wobble moments too but we've said that we have got to give it a go and we don't want to have any regrets about not trying it.

We activated our Visa's last month on a trip to see my Dad. We will be out there next August/September after my hubby's contract in the RAF ends. There is still a long way to go but it'll be here before we know it.

As for location, we are not too sure at the moment, it depends on school/jobs.

Hello

My family will be emigrating to Adelaide after my son has sat his GCSE's and hope to arrive before the next school year begins in Australia.

One of our main aims is to obviously arrange a school for my son as he wants to continue his education and hopefully go on to Uni.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has been through this and has any advice on enrolling at schools.

We have done some research and he would be starting in Yr 12???? Is this something which can be done before we leave the UK or do we have to wait until we are actually living there?

Many thanks

Angie

We are in the same boat with our eldest doing his GCSE's this year and we hope to get out to Adelaide by the end of August at the latest. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread of you don't mind?

Just one thing we reckon our eldest will go into year 10! He's not too bothered about it though which is good.

Rather than putting your son straight into Year 12, I'd seriously consider putting him into Year 11 when he gets here. That will give him time to settle in, make friends, etc etc, before he's thrown into the high pressure final year. Lots of schools use Year 12 as pretty much a revision year going back over stuff they've done in Year 11, so missing out Year 11 here would put him at quite a big disadvantage I would have thought.

Guest angiewebster
We are in the same boat with our eldest doing his GCSE's this year and we hope to get out to Adelaide by the end of August at the latest. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread of you don't mind?

Just one thing we reckon our eldest will go into year 10! He's not too bothered about it though which is good.

Hi

You will be a year ahead of us then if you are out this year. There are a lot of things to consider isn't there?

Oliver is looking forward to another new school and meeting new friends too so at least I am not worried about him in that respect.

We just need to now decide which area to settle in and sort out enrolling him at school.

Are you at that stage yet or will you wait until you arrive in August? Where are you thinking of living in Adelaide?

I will keep you in mind too to see how you are getting on :-)

I notice you are from Blackpool, what a small world. We moved down to Shropshire from my home town of Blackpool in 2009, we lived in Thornton.

Guest angiewebster

Thanks for the advice Diane, sounds a sensible idea.

We obviously want to do the best thing for Oliver and its hard enough uprooting him from his mates and school life here. Although he would have finished his GCSE's before we leave anyway to go on to College or similar.

Once I have my shortlist of schools - dependant on where we want to live - then we can decide. He is pretty chilled out about us emigrating and can't wait to meet new people too. He is doing well at school but like you say we need to keep the pressure off him so he can settle. He will probably settle more quickly than me lol.

Guest Jennet
Hello

Many thanks

Angie

hi we head out on the 3rd July and my eldest completes her GCSE's too, i have contacted schools for both my girls and i do get replies but with the answer to contact them once we are settled and with a long term lease to see we are in the zoned area, also to book an appointment to look around the school. we need a school with good performing arts curriculum, I have been looking ages but not decided on one and i think it is best to wait until we are out there to check everything out, 16 is an age where it is so vital it is the right school for their progression to their future. really liked Brighton but will not be in the zone area.

good luck

jennet