Autism/behaviour and schools - primary at mo

Guest mumto2

Guest mumto2

Hi, thinking of coming to take a job offer but unsure what to do as our daughter may have autism or behaviour problems that are currently being investigated. Wondered what schools are like in adelaide for behaviour etc as here we have senco in each school.

Also, what are they like in general, anything for me to consider?

Thanks

Guest Django

One of our boys has aspergers and is due to start school next term. We thought it was going to be a big problem but to our amazement and relief the school our other children attend, have been brilliant. Tracey talked to his teacher and she is more than clued up on how to deal with him. Not only will he get the best education, but also he won't impact on the other children in his class which was one of our worries.

My son too as Aspergers he is in year 4 at school. so far we have had 2 great teachers and 2 dud ones but as for the school its self they have been fantastic as have after school care (which is on the schools site). I have found tou have to be pro active too some parents of ASD kids moan about the school but you have to be there to support the school too and have your input. i have worked with children with ASD and have found the care here really good. How old will your child be? funding all but disapear when they turn 7 (we misses out on all the funding) the link above Autismsa is a good one and they will go to your childs school and offer great help and advice.

Guest James

I understood you cannot pass meds with children with autism unless you already have residency. I think that is terrible but I was told this by a reliable source in the area

Guest James

In terms of support I think both countries do a half good job, there is more money to family in Adelaide but less assistance in class room ie you see better professional help throuhj Speech Therapy, Ed Psychology etc but in the class room typically support is lacking unless you fight for it, the UK is the opposite put teh two together and you may get somewher which is a shame given that investment in children at an early age makes all the difference.

Guest Guest6899

our son Ethan has high functioning autism he is in year 7 at port noarlunga primary, he was diagnosed at 4 in the uk. although he is lonely at school they are trying to assist him socially and the children are asked to include him (easier said than done) They did a talk to all the kids in his years 6/7 on asd and how it affects them, which was good. Autism sa are good although we don't use their services at the moment only asked for transition time into his new school next year. i personally don't feel that he has the support that he had in the uk, but i have no complaints with his school he is coming on just fine. he has no behavior problems just social and you cant force children to make friends and that does make us sad when he stands up in class and defines a word that describes him is "lonely".

Guest Katangel

My son who is 8 is high functioning too. He was diagnosed when he was 4 too in Adelaide. He was 6 when we moved to the UK. He struggled big time in main stream schooling in Adelaide as the schools aren't as well equipped as the UK but the teachers did the best they could and they were quite cluee up with asd its just the government funding that is lacking. He did get help from autism sa which did help. Since being in the UK he has improved ten fold and the schools are better equipped. His main areas that need work are with social skills and making friends and he relies greatly on his older brother in break times but as of September the older one starts at high school so Xendan will have to cope on his own and the school is trying to work on it but we.ll just have to wait and see. I do have concerns on how he will adjust to schooling in Adelaide when we return next year as like i.ve said the school set up is different and he works best with one on one teaching and i know its not going to happen a great deal so i hope he doesn't go backwards after all the progress we have made here in the UK. I think i.ll definitely have to become more involved with the teachers and his learning to makesure he.s moving forward.

I do work with kids with ASDs but I'm not going to compare UK schools to SA ones. it's been a long time since I worked in UK schools and I know how things change! I have worked in wonderful schools in both countries where everything possible (and there are always financial restrictions!) has been done to make the child's experience of school positive. :notworthy:

I am replying now to suggest another organisation that I know helps. It's called The Gold Foundation. They haven't been going very long but the kids (with Aspergers) I know that attend really rate it.

http://www.goldfoundation.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=322

The Gold Foundation seem to involve the whole family, although the kids do their own thing lol, and you might find they can put you in touch with other organisations or networks?

HTH,

Lazy Cow

Edited by Lazy Cow
Because I can! (sp.really!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wildbriz
My son who is 8 is high functioning too. He was diagnosed when he was 4 too in Adelaide. He was 6 when we moved to the UK. He struggled big time in main stream schooling in Adelaide as the schools aren't as well equipped as the UK but the teachers did the best they could and they were quite cluee up with asd its just the government funding that is lacking. He did get help from autism sa which did help. Since being in the UK he has improved ten fold and the schools are better equipped. His main areas that need work are with social skills and making friends and he relies greatly on his older brother in break times but as of September the older one starts at high school so Xendan will have to cope on his own and the school is trying to work on it but we.ll just have to wait and see. I do have concerns on how he will adjust to schooling in Adelaide when we return next year as like i.ve said the school set up is different and he works best with one on one teaching and i know its not going to happen a great deal so i hope he doesn't go backwards after all the progress we have made here in the UK. I think i.ll definitely have to become more involved with the teachers and his learning to makesure he.s moving forward.

Hi, We are in a similar situation, high functioning child but who is in his last year of high school in the UK. We lived in Brisbane but left for the UK because of the lack of support for him in school. We miss Australia big time and would love to return but are worried about how he would get on over there.

Good luck with your return, hope it all works out very well for you.