Full time school starting age

Guest Set1077

Guest Set1077

Hi everyone.

My son was born may 2009 which makes him 3 years 2 months. When would he be eligable to start full time school in oz as that is what we r basing our move around.

Until Jan 2014 children start on a rolling intake and can begin school the term after they turn 5. The usual rule of thumb then seems to be the children who start school in the first 2 terms go straight into year 1 the following year having done a full year or at least 3 terms of reception. Those starting the last 2 terms usually do another full year of reception on top and remain then with their age group.

However, from the start of 2014 the school intake is changing to an annual intake at the start of the school year. I think the cut off is the end of April after the new school year begins (although I do recall hearing May 1st mentioned but not sure of this). So there will be 5 and some 4 year olds beginning school but they will all have turned 5 by the end of April after they start. If a child turns 5 after that cut off, they have to then wait till the start of the following school year, Jan/Feb the next year.

Does that make sense?

Your son is a year younger than mine. So I would guess he would be in the 2014 intake but because of his age may miss out on the cut off. If he has done some of reception in the UK the schools may consider to put him into reception and he'd be the very youngest in his year throughout school then. And as the rules are changing they may stick with the cut off point regardless, who is to know, its a whole new thing for everyone.

We purposely juggled our move to fit in with school. Our son begins here in the UK this September, we move next summer and he can start school in Adelaide and do the last 2 terms of reception and probably repeat the year again anyways as we want him to stay in with his age group and not always be the very youngest kid in the year. It might not seem such a big deal now but at senior school, teenage years, I'd rather he be mixing with 13 and 14 year olds and not 15 and 16 and so on. He'll be one of the oldest kids in his year group also then which I think will stand him in good stead.

Also boys do struggle with some of the basics in the early years and while our son is bright, with a move, new school and all that, I want to give him breathing room and not place any expectation on him to be able to slot straight into year 1 or anything. I like he'll have that extra time in reception and can do plenty with him outside of school also.

A couple of news stories on the new intake for you

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/04/19/3481141.htm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/education/one-intake-for-reception-students/story-fn3o6nna-1226326705145

Guest Set1077

I agree with you, I don't think I would like hi

To be the yougest in the year. His birthday is 7th may so iI guessing he wwould miss the cutoff in 2014.

I am a little confused so bare with me as he is my first child aand probably last so I've never had to do this before.

Over here (wales). He is in morning nursery from this September for a year and will be going into reception next september 2013 which is full time, if he's there for a year then he would be starting year 1 in September 2014.

When does the school year start in oz, if I'm working this out right there shouldn't b much of an overlap? Would u agree snifter? Also is their reception full time?

The school year runs with the year itself. Jan - Dec. Summer holidays are over Christmas and schools usually go back the end of Jan, beginning of Feb for the new school year.

And it is entirely possible he may do a lot of reception. Our son will be doing 2.5 years of it pretty much between a year of it here in the UK and 6 terms of it in Aus, so a year and a half. Though depending when we move exactly he may only do 5 terms as we may stay here for a summer holiday before moving to Aus in September.

Reception is full time yes :)

Don't panic at the idea of a long stint of reception. Remember the education system in Aus is different and if he does spend a while between the UK and Aus, it will all even out in the end. I think it may well benefit younger children having that do over again time, to settle in, make friends, get used to how they do things and so on. I am focusing on the positives rather than the negatives and the longer I've had to think about it, the more I am liking the idea of him having that long stint in reception and being the oldest in the school year.

Edited by snifter

Another thing to consider for young kids is that they don't have half term holidays here like they do in the UK - once they are in full time school, they do a full term, then have a couple of weeks holiday before the next term starts, so something like ten weeks without a break! I remember mine being absolutely shattered by the end of the term, and they were quite a bit older when we came here! On the plus side though, they're not nearly as precious about you keeping them out of school for a few days during term time for a family break or holiday, or just because they need a chill out day, as I remember them being in the UK.

Guest jmthomo

also just to add in as wwe are in the same position our youngest misses out on the 30th april cit off date, and will have to wait 6 months to start school the followign jan, this has a knock on effects for kindy eligibilityas your only supposed to be allowed 4 terms of kindy, unless the kindy are flexible. this could mean the child is not able to start kindy until aged 5 .