childcare

Guest ems

Help anyone

Emma here, are there any single parents (or anyone who knows any) out there that have made the move to Adelaide as a nurse doing shift work or any type of shift work? If so how have you managed yor childcare arrangements whilst at work? I've looked at all sorts (famiy day care, nannies, au pairs, etc) As far as nannies are concerened i have found them to be very expensive, i think the family day care is great as its 24/7 but would have problems on late shifts as i wouldn't be able to pick her up till about 11 at night and thats way to late as shes only 6 years old. I know there is a way round it but i've just got to figure one out somehow. We are both really excited about the move but as anyone will understand children have to come first. Any advise or suggestions would be great. Thankyou in advance.

Emma and Alicia. :confused:

Hello Emma and Alicia,

I used to live in Bury st Edmunds until my family moved to Adelaide. I'm a nurse in Adelaide. There is one childcare centre in town where the children can stay overnight. Some family daycarers also do overnight. Most hospitals here have changed their late shift finishing times to 9.30 - 10. The women's and childrens hospital has a nursing bank where you work in any wards, but you can set the shifts you want to work. Have you done any paediatrics? Some of the private hospitals like St. Andrews are flexible with contracts. The other thing you could do is to join an agency, (unless you are being sponsered by a hospital), the downside is sometimes work can not be guarenteed. As a single parent you would be entitled to claim childcare benefit, depends on your visa type though. Primary schools usually have after school care, some have before school care and there is vacation care during holidays. If you are entitled to the childcare benefits, then the fees can be greatly reduced. Some childcare centres also do a school run to the local school. There are some centres that open at 6 - 6.30 am, so you can get to your early shift.

Hope this helps.

Rachel

Hi Rachel

What a small world, how long have you lived in Adelaide? Thanks for the info on childcare, i wasnt aware of the childcare centre where children can stay overnight, ive mentioned that to my daughter and she really wants to go. Its also nice to know that the childcare centres open at decent times, you dont get that here in the UK. I am currently a gynae nurse with no peadiatric experience, i have been offered a position at the RAH, which i have excepted and could possibly be changing to mental health nursing. Unfortunately the visa i wil have will not entitle me to childcare benfit but i have been told we will get put through for residency after 3 months so hopefully i wll get assisstance after a year.

Thanks again for the info.

Emma + Alicia(6)

Hi Emma,

My family emigrated here in 1977 when I was 10.When we lived in Bury we lived in Cannon St and I went to Howard Primary and then Horringer Court Middle. I spent a large amount of my childhood there roaming the Abbey Gdns, the cattle market and the river. My older sibs went to St James , then King Edwards. It is a small world.

The child care centre that does nights caters for up to 10 yr olds. It's called City Child Care Centre. Its not open weekends unfortunately. For daycare it opens 6.30 which if you work at the RAH is good. The adress is 104 Gilbert St. Adelaide ph 82122377.

If you can get a place here there is a primary school nearby.

Another option ifyou have room is to advertise for cheap board for an Early chilhood or Primary teaching student in return for babysitting when you need it. There are lots of country students who have to pay large sums to live in Adelaide while they study. You could get them to do police checks, etc. It's just a thought. Have you any ideas about where you would like to live. If you have any other questions just ask away.

Rachel

Hello Rachel

Abbey Gardens is still a big hangout for kids, but the cattle market is being redeveloped into a big shopping centre, i think it will be completed end of next year. Other than that dont think much else has changed round here (except for the building of lots of houses). All of the schools you mentioned are still there to. I live on an estate called the bartons, its joined onto Moreton Hall, its a nice area to live with lots of families but not really much to do on the social front, the Bartons doesnt even have a park.

Thanks for the address and phone number of the childcare centre, it will be good to phone them up for a chat. I think the best option and most affordable option for weekends will be the family day care.

Ive just started looking at places to live, theres so much choice, i have been thinking about the north-east / east. The coast would be lovely but i am aware this could be more expensive. I would be renting though.

Great to hear from you and thanks again.

Emma + Alicia(6)

Guest alibongo

hi Emma and Rachel.

Good to know there are so many nurses on this site to help out. Congrats Emma on your job offer. hope it all goes well for you. I am a RGN currently working in general practice and hope to be doing the same in Adelaide.. hoping for this summer all being well.

Rachel do you have any advice on practice nursing in Adelaide?? and how it compares to the UK

Thanks

Ali

Guest Blackcat

Hi

I am not a nurse, but did used to live in Bury St Edmunds, from about 1989 to 1994, lovely place, still used to go back to visit friends at least once a year. We have been here for 4 months, have had a bit of homesickness, but on the whole love it, it is a much better way of life for children. I am sure there is another nurse off this site who made the move on her own last year with her son, from her posts she seems really happy and no regrets. Good luck, its a big move to do, but I am sure you won't regret it, Gina

Thanks Gina

Another 1 from Bury, it is a nice place to live and i have lots of friends and family that i will have to come back and see. Are you still planning on comng back to visit now your in Adelaide? Im glad yor loving it there, hopefuly the homesickness will pass soon. Im glad there is another nurse whos made the move on her own with her son. Thats something i can say to my parents as i think the main thing they worry about is me being on my own and my childcare (i think they're going to find lots of things to worry about though, its only natural).

I'm 100% sure this is the right move for myself and my daughter, as you and most other people say its a better way of life for children and that is what i want (there is a bit of selfishnes in there though as its always been something i've wanted to do).

Thanks again Gina, hopefully catch up soon.

Emma

Alicia(6)

Guest alibongo

Hi. just waiting for medicals to be finalised and for the police checks to be sent. I am about to write to the NBSA to register as I gather it can take some time although I think it wont bethe full 3 months to register as I had my skills assessment through ANMC last July.

Have spoken to a practice nurse co-ordinator in north Adelaide who has said she will interview me over the phone but I guess she is waiting to see if I get my visa through first. It seems like practice nursing is a newish thing out there so will hopefully be able to fit into the system well out there. she also said there is no shortage of nursing jobs in Adelaide so we all should be OK..

Ali

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:

hi emms

dont know where were heading in adelaide yet but will keep an eye out on here for you and if we can help out in any way we will, its a bit of a journey into the unknown for us so we will keep on using this site

good luck to you both

nicky

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kate and Rachel thats interesting to know. I always remember when i first started nursing how the nhs said how family friendly it is. Lets just say i haven't found that at all, i'm not able to do set shifts, not able to do term time only, not able to work school hours, i won't continue. I know it could be just were i'm nursing but i have heard the same thing from other people to. That is something i can def look into as set shifts would be great. :)

Emma

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dunnarunna

another bury st edmunder here, well im a few miles south but my kids go to school there. must be something in the water round here, several people in the village where i live have emigrated to australia. When do you plan to go emma? we are off in 4 and a half weeks.

donna