Any thoughts on family cycling or commuting in and around Adelaide?

apple

Hello all, Am planning on bringing my family to Adelaide 2013. I would like to get my family out biking in OZ and hopefully become a one car family. Does anyone have experience of commuting on a bike and/or cycling to school with children? My girls will be 8 and 6 yrs. Opinions gratefully received.:smile:

...and what is it with cars parking in the cycle lanes (when they exist)??? OH is currently working in the city and actually gets off and walks his bike through when he gets there, as so many drivers seem totally blind to cycles - even in a city with three universities for goodness sake and plenty of cyclists around! Must be a bit traumatic for the other pedestrians though, him in his lycra and all....

I commute regularily to work and back, approx 50km's and have done so for over 18 months now. I generally find it pretty safe commuting, the network of bike lanes is reasonable and just as effective as those in the UK at segregating bikes from other traffic. I have experienced only one real incident in the last 18 months.

There are plenty of segregated bike paths suitable for the family or general getting about like the Torrens as someone has previously mentioned or the Shriaz Trail down at Willunga. For the more adventurous there are heaps of hills and some reasonable mountain biking too.

The quality of the independant bike shops is generally excellent and a few do organised rides. Google for Adelaide Cyclists, there's a group on there that do a specific family ride about once a month.

Kids cycling to school is not so big in my experience for many factors, distance, school facilities, sporting activities, working parents. Some do but in general only really short distance.

Happy cycling!