Whale Spotter - Victor Harbour

Lisalou

:smile: Hi there,

My family and I went to Victor Harbour yesterday. We saw 1 Southern Right Whale on Granite Island and it was 200 metres from shore. It was a fascinating sight to watch. This is the first whale we have seen since we have been here. We have seen a pod of dolphins and one with a Calf with it at the time, they were very close to the shore and we also saw a few seals near Black Rock at Hallett Cove Beach.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTi-mjG9Hx9PFy-V8KzmoJtLAsNRBrGDIcVm2eGa_vNFHkkeslT Here is a picture of the Southern Right Whale jumping out of the water!!! :smile:

From the Whale Spotter Lisa

Epic photo! We saw some tail slapping a few weeks ago but no breaches. Love the wildlife, recently whilst walking along the dunes in Moana we spotted a bearded dragon - not sure of the exact one (central possibly?) but he was a big fella and just great to see such different creatures - took a average picture with my phone:

IMAG0035.jpg

Anyone spotted any sharks yet??? I would love to see one, from a safe distance or vantage point. The closest I have come is in Victor Harbor Whale Museum where there is a Port Jackson shark in a tank. Love the Whale pic, I too might head down there this weekend if they are putting on a show. Love the bearded dragon pic too...this is what Oz is all about! As an aside, I did my first aid training the other day (to ensure I can get my teacher registration) and loved how it differed from the UK one with extra content on venomous bites and stings from spiders, snakes, jellyfish. The trainer was from Moana and spoke of the deadly brown snakes in the Moana Sands Conservation area. I have been jogging through the long grass a few times. I'll keep my eyes peeled. He also mentioned the White Pointer that was under Noarlunga Jetty a few years ago! That would be a real treat.

Hi Richard

My daughters and I actually spotted a shark just off the shore at Silver Sands a couple of years ago.....it was a really overcast day, but warm and we were virtually the only ones at the beach, apart from a couple of fishermen.....we were just about to head into the water when my daughter spotted it - just where we were about to go in.... I couldnt beleive my eyes... Ive seen lots and lots of dolphins here, so know the difference.... It was only a small one but - its a shark!!

What I shocked me was how far in shore it was - I tend to only go into the sea when there are lots more people in there now!! lol

Sarahx

What I shocked me was how far in shore it was - I tend to only go into the sea when there are lots more people in there now!! lol

That's my method too - always make sure someone is just that little bit further out than you - that way you don't have to outrun the shark on your way back to the beach, you just have to outrun that person!