Koala Spotter - Morialta

Lisalou

:smile:Hi again,

Just telling you what my family and I did on Wednesday, my family and I went to Morialta - it is 20 mins from centre of Adelaide also has Impressive seasonal waterfalls such as the Second Falls, Thrid Falls, also has deep gorges, lush wooded hillsides. They got loads of Eucalyptus Trees. In 1 eucalyptus tree I spotted our first koala.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR3995pN8nPuefKnRTtINEo-XAroQqiVqhYNArf9a8p3p7nr9_SA Here is a sleeping Koala in a ecualyptus tree.

From Koala spotter Lisa

I love Morialta - one of my favourite places and always a good place to take visitors who want to see koalas in the wild. Also lots of beautiful blue wrens there this time of year. Always amazes me when you're there, you could be in the middle of somewhere like the Ardeche in France, and yet you're only ten minutes from the city. Lovely place with easier walks for older or much younger guests, and the more challenging ones for the young and fit!

I live just a five minute walk from Morialta conservation park (although it's a bit more of a trek to the falls). We were up there by the falls a couple of weeks ago and saw two koalas. One was in the tree right next to where our car was parked. I would post a picture but i can never seem to get them to work on the ipad.

I love Morialta - one of my favourite places and always a good place to take visitors who want to see koalas in the wild. Also lots of beautiful blue wrens there this time of year. Always amazes me when you're there, you could be in the middle of somewhere like the Ardeche in France, and yet you're only ten minutes from the city. Lovely place with easier walks for older or much younger guests, and the more challenging ones for the young and fit!

I have never seen a Koala in Ardeche.

In fact I have never been there but I doubt anyone has seen a koala there. :-)

Edited by NickyT

I have never seen a Koala in Ardeche.

In fact I have never been there but I doubt anyone has seen a koala there. :-)

Well, as you've never been there, you're not in a position to judge that, are you? I have been there, but will keep my own counsel about the propensity of koalas there... wouldn't want everyone and his dog going koala spotting in France, now, would I - some things are best kept secret....

Although never been there for a long time - can anyone tell me now as I have a little dog can I take her on a good walk there?...... just looking for more long walks with my little 'tenterfield'

been to most places around my area and am now looking for 'new places' to adventure.....

Any suggestions welcome - living in the eastern suberbs.....

Cheers

Fiona

Hi Fiona

I can't say I've seen anyone with dogs up at the falls end of Morialta, but I'm not sure if this is because they are not allowed, it's not a good place for them or there just happened not to be any while we were there. There are a lot of walking trails around and they are classified in to easy, medium and hard. The easy trails are flat and suitable for toddlers. We did a medium trail and it was very steep and quite hard going but our 7 year old (and me!) managed it with quite a few stops on the way up. The hard trails probably require much higher fitness levels than I have. At the bottom of the park though there is a fair bit of open green space and some other walking paths that might be good for dog walking. You could also start at Morialta conservation park and walk down the fourth creek trail. This goes past Gunners Reserve, where a lot of local people go to walk there dogs, and keeps going for miles.

I'm afraid I can't help much with suggesting other places to walk your dog as I don't have one myself so I don't really have an appreciation of what makes a god place to walk a dog. I could give you an appraisal of most of the play parks on this side of the city though.....

Although never been there for a long time - can anyone tell me now as I have a little dog can I take her on a good walk there?...... just looking for more long walks with my little 'tenterfield'

been to most places around my area and am now looking for 'new places' to adventure.....

Any suggestions welcome - living in the eastern suberbs.....

Cheers

Fiona

I don't think dogs are allowed in conservation parks, but you can walk your dog along the first bit until you reach the toilets. Another good place to walk your dog is Ansty Hill in Tea Tree Gully or Para Wira

There's also a park alongside Maryvale Road in Athelstone - I think the park is called Wadmore Park. It is a lovely place to walk and dogs only have to be on the lead if you are on the firetrack that runs along the far side. Lots of beautiful wild flowers, and the couple of times I have been there I have hardly seen a soul, but you are never that far from civilisation to feel nervous at all.