Schools in Glenelg area

Justine79

Hi all,

My 11 yr old son and I are moving to Glenelg area, and was wondering what good schools people can recommend on here.Moving from Brisbane as my husband is working in Adelaide.

Also going to be new to Adelaide would like to meet new people from around the Glenelg area who have school going children like myself.

Justine:smile:.

Hey Justine,

Not sure whether you are after primary or secondary but we've just rented a place in Somerton Park and spent quite a while researching schools around Glenelg. We liked Glenelg primary but it was bigger than our 6 year old was used to. We opted for Paringa Park Primary. It's lovely and the people are so friendly - but zoned. Warradale Primary was lovely too but bit too south for us. Brighton secondary has a very good reputation but is zoned too. Good luck with the move. Hope all goes smoothly. X

Hello and welcome :) Glenelg is a lovely area.

I can't comment on the schools personally but for a senior school Brighton gets very good feedback (and I think Glenelg is in the zone for it).

Here are a list of schools in southern Adelaide and schools going out from that

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/HS_Zoning_Region_03/

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/PS_Zoning_Region_03/

I know for primary level I have concerns about sending my son to Glenelg primary simply as its a massive school in terms of pupil numbers and as he'll only be 5 I want something smaller. St Leonards is smaller and I hear good things.

Hey Justine,

Not sure whether you are after primary or secondary but we've just rented a place in Somerton Park and spent quite a while researching schools around Glenelg. We liked Glenelg primary but it was bigger than our 6 year old was used to. We opted for Paringa Park Primary. It's lovely and the people are so friendly - but zoned. Warradale Primary was lovely too but bit too south for us. Brighton secondary has a very good reputation but is zoned too. Good luck with the move. Hope all goes smoothly. X

Paringa is lovely. I've visited there and was very impressed.

I totally agree Snifter. Glenelg school is right next to 2 big roads and I was worried about security and safety. We just strollled right into playground off the street. The children looked very happy there but prob too big for little ones. Especially a shy little one. It's very overwhelming. Warradale was great. Very friendly head teacher. Children working hard when we looked round. Paringa was just beautiful. New stunning library and gym. Just a pain it's zoned.

You will find that most primary schools here are very open and people can just walk in from the street. The children if it is not recess or lunch unless in the upper yrs of primary will travel in pairs. The children are supervised at breaks and know not to leave the grounds.nDon't forget we have not had the need for high security here due to school shootings etc. I can not recall any problems happening at Glenelg where children have strayed onto the roads from school. Nor have I ever heard of there being problems with strangers wandering in. The kids are very aware of who should be there or not and how to handle them, ie direct to office if lost or report suspicious behaviours. However yes it is a big school and that comes down to personal choice.

You will find that most primary schools here are very open and people can just walk in from the street. The children if it is not recess or lunch unless in the upper yrs of primary will travel in pairs. The children are supervised at breaks and know not to leave the grounds.nDon't forget we have not had the need for high security here due to school shootings etc. I can not recall any problems happening at Glenelg where children have strayed onto the roads from school. Nor have I ever heard of there being problems with strangers wandering in. The kids are very aware of who should be there or not and how to handle them, ie direct to office if lost or report suspicious behaviours. However yes it is a big school and that comes down to personal choice.

Just to add to this, at the school my kids go to as well as fire drills they also have lock down practices. This is where a different siren goes and all the kids head inside, the doors are locked and the kids hide under the desks out of sight. Apparently the main reason for lock downs happening is a swarm of bees (not sure the hiding under the desk is necessary in this case), but it could also be put in to use for other reasons as well. My main concern with a school being on a main road would be to do with my kids walking to and from school on their own and having to cross a busy road.

Just to add to this, at the school my kids go to as well as fire drills they also have lock down practices. This is where a different siren goes and all the kids head inside, the doors are locked and the kids hide under the desks out of sight. Apparently the main reason for lock downs happening is a swarm of bees (not sure the hiding under the desk is necessary in this case), but it could also be put in to use for other reasons as well. My main concern with a school being on a main road would be to do with my kids walking to and from school on their own and having to cross a busy road.

That is my main concern also re the traffic etc. Also it just doesn't seem such a nice setting as a school in a quieter road or a more residential street.

Hi Josie,

Somerton Park is where my OH is living. I'm looking for Primary schools cause at the moment my son is in Grade 5.Looked up Paringa and it looks nice from the website.

I suppose it would be better if I arranged with the school to have a look around before they break up for summer,as I will be moving after xmas even though I'm in Brisbane.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just an update on the school situation, well I rang the school on Mon 15th and my OH lives in the catchment area so my son will be attending Paringa Park. All the info is being sent to my home address in Brisbane, as OH ids too busy with work to pop in.

Any with 11 year old boys, I would like to hear from you, possibly to meet up.

Hi All,

Just an update on the school situation, well I rang the school on Mon 15th and my OH lives in the catchment area so my son will be attending Paringa Park. All the info is being sent to my home address in Brisbane, as OH ids too busy with work to pop in.

Any with 11 year old boys, I would like to hear from you, possibly to meet up.

That's great. Handy your hubby is already in the zone for it.

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

we are moving to Adelaide January 2013.

will sound very unorganised, but still don't know which area to move to.

my main concern is schools for my 5 yr old daughter. (Quite shy)

i have messaged u before snifter and I still like the sound of Paringa.

How do I find out what areas I need to look at to live as people keep saying it is zoned?

i have never been to Adelaide before, so I am pretty clueless.

Warradale sounds nice too.

thanks

Just found the zone on their website.

it's quite a small area isn't it??

It is. And they will require proof you are properly resident in the zone, as in a longterm lease. I am told lots of people try to get their kids in to it because they think it will mean they are a shoe in for Brighton HS which isn't always the case apparently.

I hear good things about Warradale primary also fwiw.

• 2 weeks later...

Our son goes to St Peter's Woodlands in Glenelg. It's a private school but we've found the fees so much cheaper than what we were paying in the UK. It is a wonderful school from early years to Year 7. He is just about to finish Reception and has loved his first year there. I have also done a lot of relief teaching at St. Mary's Memorial School, a Catholic School in Glenelg. It is a smaller school (R-Y5) and has a really lovely family feel about it.

I know how important it is to find the right school...it was top of my list of things to sort out once we knew we were moving!

Good luck!

Snifter,I've emailed warradale primary. St Leonard's and Paringa. Have had nice emailed from the first two. But, nothing from Paringa yet. Hopefully will tomorrow.

Hiya Jilly, Have you tried ringing them, as that is what I did and they were very helpful and sent out all information to my current address in Brisbane. OH brought in paperwork as he works and lives in Adelaide, and he was given an enrolment which was filled out and sent back in. Now a week before kids start back, son is being brought in to have a look around and familiarise himself with the school.

Good luck, hope you hear from them soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I said I was going to give you an update of the school situation. Unfortunately my OH had to move out of his rental place in Somerton Park which was in the catchment area for Paringa Park PS. He then moved into a new place with a friend in Salisbury until we got another rental place back in Somerton park. Anyway good news is we got another rental house back In Somerton Park area,moved in on the long weekend of Oz day, then the son started Paringa Park on the Tues.

First day at Paringa, I think i was more nervous than my son was, now 2 weeks in he loves the school, met some great friends and he has just spent 4 days at Port Noarlunga doing Aquatics (wave skiing), which i was very impressed because he never got to do anything like this before in Brisbane.

Now he is settled, i need to get out now and meet new friends during the day while he'll be at school, so if there are any ladies out there for coffee, chat just msg me.:smile:

Cheers guys it'll be nice to you all.

Guest netballnetball
Hi all

I said I was going to give you an update of the school situation. Unfortunately my OH had to move out of his rental place in Somerton Park which was in the catchment area for Paringa Park PS. He then moved into a new place with a friend in Salisbury until we got another rental place back in Somerton park. Anyway good news is we got another rental house back In Somerton Park area,moved in on the long weekend of Oz day, then the son started Paringa Park on the Tues.

First day at Paringa, I think i was more nervous than my son was, now 2 weeks in he loves the school, met some great friends and he has just spent 4 days at Port Noarlunga doing Aquatics (wave skiing), which i was very impressed because he never got to do anything like this before in Brisbane.

Now he is settled, i need to get out now and meet new friends during the day while he'll be at school, so if there are any ladies out there for coffee, chat just msg me.:smile:

Cheers guys it'll be nice to you all.

Hi Justine

so pleased I just read your post about schools in/ near Glenelg. I was originally planning to move to Brisbane but now as I have seen a few teaching jobs in Glenelg area we are considering moving to Adelaide instead. Really pleased your son has settled into school and enjoying himself, my son is 6 so its good to hear about the primary schools. Also wanted to ask you how you find Adelaide compared to Brisbane??

Donna