16 year old boy options

Guest Helen8367

Guest Helen8367

Hi

My son will have finished his GCSE's by the time we leave for Oz (hopefully we will be leaving for Oz)

He is not really interested in further education however much I try to tell him otherwise, I wonder what his options are. He was joining the forces in the Uk but doesnt know if he wants to do the same if we go to Oz.

Will he have to go back to school? Can he move straight into a trade apprenticeship? Any info would be helpful. What happens with him is the biggest decider in when and if we go!!

Thanks

H

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katsmajic

Similar position - our boy finished his gcse's last year - been bumming round since, (as i broke my leg)

he's happy to go back to school, but would rather go to tafe...

For those who are not academically inclined there are school based apprenticeship schemes. The kids attend high school but also begin an apprenticeship, spending some time in TAFE and sometime in on the job training. This counts towards their SACE(South Aust Cert Education), which they get if they stick it out until end of yr 12. They then go full time into either second year of apprenticeship.

Info on scheme here http://www.employment.sa.gov.au/employ/a8_publish/modules/publish/content.asp?id=13842&navgrp=110

andhere http://www.youthengagement.sa.edu.au/pages/default/ASBAs/

Cheers Rachel

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi helen our son is in the same position as yours,we are still looking into his options, let me know how you get on, (& vice versa)

nicky

Guest alibongo

hi helen,

our lad is 15 and doing gcses in June so we are also hoping to be in Oz shortly after he finishes his exams. We are planning to go to the northern suburbs and the school we have applied to have told us that the best plan is to repeat part of the school year I think it is just so he settles in a bit better then do the SACE for the next 2 years.. Strange how we are all in a similar position isnt it!

Hope we all do OK

Ali

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Hi, Im chris and im 16 years old hoping to move to Australia. Just finishing my GCSEs this May :wacko: and i want to go into further education. If everything goes to plan, i'll probably start sixth form here and then start a year behind (i think) and start again over there.

I want to be a commercial pilot however with the expensive costs i will have to go through the RAF, however if we do go to Australia then i wont be able to get into the RAAF until i get a permanent visa which means i have 3 years. So its very complicating at the moment and will just have to wait and see what happens!

So, yes sounds like we're in the same position!

Good luck with your application! Talk to you soon

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
Guest neil and mari

hi, just found this site and will be in same situation.We are over in octber for 2 weeks but will return to Adelaide to live in about 15 months.Tyler will have done his exams so any help you can give me will be fab as im really concerned about his options. Thanks Mari

Guest alibongo

hello Neil and Mari, welcome to the site! We should be going over in June or July so as soon as I know for sure how the education system works over there will let you know

Ali

Guest neil and mari
hello Neil and Mari, welcome to the site! We should be going over in June or July so as soon as I know for sure how the education system works over there will let you know

Ali

Hi,. Our visa,s have just come through so any advice would a great help to us . Thanx Mari

Hi, Im chris and im 16 years old hoping to move to Australia. Just finishing my GCSEs this May :wacko: and i want to go into further education. If everything goes to plan, i'll probably start sixth form here and then start a year behind (i think) and start again over there.

I want to be a commercial pilot however with the expensive costs i will have to go through the RAF, however if we do go to Australia then i wont be able to get into the RAAF until i get a permanent visa which means i have 3 years. So its very complicating at the moment and will just have to wait and see what happens!

So, yes sounds like we're in the same position!

Good luck with your application! Talk to you soon

Chris

Take a look at Uni SA, they do pilots courses out at Parafield.

Guest neil and mari

Hi Chris, thanx for reply and would be very grateful of any info from your experinces over there so Tyler could relate to them as he will be going through the same as you when we go over there .

thanx again Mari :wubclub:

Guest andylynnchriskirst

Thanks for your help smit. I've been lookin around, and it looks quite good!

Neil and mari, we're hopefully going over to Oz around december/january so i'll be on here updating you and hopefully vice versa ;).

Talk to u soon