Education

Guest Amanda Shearer

Guest Amanda Shearer

New to this, my husband leaves for Adelaide tomorrow to start new job, my son and I are going out for Xmas. as this has happened very quickly I m unsure when to go out with my son as he has just turned 16 and mid way through his last year at high school and due to sit GCSE's early next year. Do I go now or wait till summer as unsure how the education system works. Read info on education websites but unsure how he would fit in.

Can anyone help or does anyone have children that age?

Thank you

Amanda

New to this, my husband leaves for Adelaide tomorrow to start new job, my son and I are going out for Xmas. as this has happened very quickly I m unsure when to go out with my son as he has just turned 16 and mid way through his last year at high school and due to sit GCSE's early next year. Do I go now or wait till summer as unsure how the education system works. Read info on education websites but unsure how he would fit in.

Can anyone help or does anyone have children that age?

Thank you

Amanda

The Australia school year starts January.So if your son wants to go to uni he would need to do year 11 and 12.

We moved when oldest was 17 and had just finished first year of A levels.He then only did year 12 before going to Uni as got GCSE converted to year 11 here.He was a straight A student who has never had to study hard in his life.

He has just completed a double degree and starts work in a research position for the Government in January.

But year 11 and 12 are both very hard.

My youngest son did both before going to Uni.He would not have been able to do what his brother did.

You need to be realistic about their ability and really do they need to be over stressed about school as well as the move.Each child is different what worked for my eldest would not have worked for my youngest.

If you can stand to be apart from your husband I think I would probably let your son finish his GCSEs in the UK; you might find it takes you that long to get everything sorted anyway. That way he'd have those qualifications if he decided to return to the UK at any future point, but once you arrive here he would probably be required to go to school since the school leaving age for South Australia is 17 - that would help him with settling and making friends though.