advice please for my son arriing in Adelaide with uk AS qualifications

Rocky

Hi

We are emigrating next year with our children. Im trying to look at education options for my 16 year old son.

If we move June/July 13 he will have just completed his AS exams in the uk

Does any one know if he will have to go back to school and complete year 12 in adelaide from Jan 14 or if he will be able to slot in and finish the year when we arrive.

He is interested in a career in psychology. would this mean he has to complete year 12 qualification in order to get enough points for uni or is there an option to study psychology at college.

Apologies if I sound confused !!! I am !!!

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

How old will he be in June/July? My son will be 16 in May and goes into Year 11 next year. I would have thought if your son turns 11 in 2013, then he would be able to just go into Year 11 when he arrives here, do the rest of Year 11 while he settles in and gets to know the Australian school system, then do Year 12 in 2014. Year 12 is a high pressure year so I think to emigrate and go straight into Year 12 wouldn't suit a lot of people - I think joining midway through Year 12 and then having final exams within months would be a lot to cope with and would probably affect his final results.

Hi

We are emigrating next year with our children. Im trying to look at education options for my 16 year old son.

If we move June/July 13 he will have just completed his AS exams in the uk

Does any one know if he will have to go back to school and complete year 12 in adelaide from Jan 14 or if he will be able to slot in and finish the year when we arrive.

He is interested in a career in psychology. would this mean he has to complete year 12 qualification in order to get enough points for uni or is there an option to study psychology at college.

Apologies if I sound confused !!! I am !!!

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

When we came over my eldest had just completed As at sixth form college.He went into year 12 at the begining of the year January and got a credit for his A* GCSE marks for year 11.He Has gone on to complete a double degree and is now doing a grad position with the government.

Please be aware that if you are not yet citizen you have to pay all Uni fees upfront each semester there are no loans etc.

You will pay domestic priced fees if you are on a PR visa but not on temp Visa.

My youngest did year 11 and 12 and then went to Uni.We had to pay fees for both upfront as we were not citizens at the time.

You will need to get SSABSA to have a look at his AS's if you want to get them recognised. He will not be able to use them to get into uni on their own.

Probably best to do Year 11 and 12 together.

thank you for all your advice. he will be 17 at the end of august. we were hoping to be in adelaide by january but from what everyone has said it may be a blessing in disguise that we are going to be arriving a few months later. i think going into year 11 while he settles in then year 12 from january 14 will be beneficial to him in the long run. thanks again its really good to hear many families are in or have been in the same situation...........after all we all want the best for our kids.......thats why we are moving in the first place !

Dawn

Hi, just to let you know - an AS will not be recognised - I have had this verified by the SACE governing board. Only full GCSEs or A levels can be credited.Our son has slotted into year 11 in order to go on to do yr 12 then go to uni. This has been invaluable to his making friends and settling in here as opposed to waiting to start yr 12 in Jan.

All the best with everything - its a difficult age to bring them over at but our kids, now 16 and 18, have settled in without any problems, not bad considering they were both dead against the move!

Lisa x

Hi lisa

that sounds like good advice....after listening to advice and talking it over I think it's invaluable for him to have time to make friends and settle before having pressure of yr 12. He does have his cousins already in flagstaff hill which is where we are planning on living but they aren't in the same school year. It's nice to know your children are happy even though they were against it. My son is sort of ok with it but understandably apprehensive .....my eldest who is 21 is adamant he is staying in the uk......never ending emotional roller coaster although I'm certain inside its the right thing for all of us and can only hope my eldest decides to give it a go and my other children are happy there !!

Dawn

Hi Lisa

just noticed from another post your son is at hallet cove r-12. That's where my sisters children are and hope to get mine into! Nice to know your son has settled well there.....

My son James would be in the same year when we get there in the spring !

thanks for your reply

Dawn x