PIA opinions on High schools in Adelaide

evojoan

Hello

I have been researching High Schools for my 14 year old son who is in year 9 in the UK. I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on the following schools.

Glenunga International High school

Marryatville High School

Adelaide High School

I would be grateful for peoples views who have children at these schools to give feedback on the good and bad aspects of these schools.

Many thanks

These are generally considered to be three of the best public high schools in Adelaide and we would love to be able to get our kids in to any of them (my kids are 7 and 11). However, all three are zoned and the zones for all three contain some of the most expensive areas to buy houses in Adelaide. I believe Adelaide High doesn't take new enrolements even if you move in to the zone as they are so full, although I may be wrong about this.

We went for a visit to Glenunga not that long ago because we are thinking about trying to get our eldest son in there on the ignite program, which is a special program for gifted children who do not have to be in the zone for the school. I'm not sure he would be able to do well enough in the exam to get in but unless he has a go we will never know. It looks like a good school and they seem to be geared up to deal with children of different abilities. Have you had a look at the websites for the schools? Also check out the myschools website for information on the zones.

If we can't get my eldest in to Glenunga he will be going to Norwood Morialta instead. This is also in the East but it's zone covers some slightly more affordable areas so we have been able to buy land and build a house in the zone.

Hi NicF

Thats my dilema at the moment as he wants to live near the beach but I would like to give him the chance of a good education without steep housing costs. I have been looking at Goodwood as an area to live as this is within the catchment area for Glenunga and about 18 minutes to the beach. Do you know what the area is like ? Have you bought the land and house already ? What do you think of Adelaide ? How long have you been there and have your children settled ? Is there plenty to do for teens. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

I don't really know Goodwood that well but we have driven past and it does look like a nice area. It's got quite a bit of character as it's an older suburb and has some older character properties. It's handy for the city and the beach so would certainly be worth checking out. Have you checked out realestate.com.au for rentals? This is a really good way of finding out what kind of property is availble and what the prices are like.

We've been in Adeliade since July this year, but my OH is from Adelaide and we have been for lots of visits over the years so I knew what to expect. I love Adelaide. It's not a big, busy city and that suits me down to the ground. My kids have settled pretty well. My youngest has settled in to school so well it's like he has always been here. My oldest has settled and made some friends but he is missing his best friend from the UK. They have been best friends since reception and are very similar personalities and have very similar interests. He's struggling to find kids with the same interests here but it's not helped by the fact he won't tell anyone what he is interested in because he thinks they might tease him.

We have bought land in Rostrevor and are in the process of finalising plans for the house. We're hoping to have it built by the end of July next year. We had pretty much decided on Rostrevor before we moved but we already knew the area so it was easier for us. Our decision on where to live was based on schools, housing costs, proximity to my mother in law and proximity to the city. I certainly understand your desire to give you son a good education. I would recommend however not being set on a particular suburb until you get here. Find some short term accomodation for when you arrive then have a good look round the area to see what you think.

Hi

My son is in Marryatville High, Year 11 in this coming term. He went to Sutton Grammar School in England before we moved to Adelaide in 2010. My daughter is in Year 7 in Marryatville. As others said, Marryatville, Glenunga and Adelaide and also Norwood Morialta are considered "very good" state schools here. The easiest way to go into is by residing in the area, whether buying and renting. If you see the guide for the enrolment, it says that school have to accept children who live in the area.

If you could not afford to buy straight away, you could rent for a year or two, and move out of the area later. The school only "insist" that you live in the are for at least a year. If you fancy Marryatville, or Glenunga or Adelaide, you could try suburbs like Myrtle Bank, Torak Gardens, Glenside, Glenunga, Fullarton, Highgate, Marryaville, Kensington, Norwood. I know the houses are expensive, but you could still find some affordable rent.

These eastern suburbs area about 20-30 minutes away to the beach.

if you really fancy living in the beach area, Brighton Secondary is well recommended. I heard that Henley High is also a good school. Both are very close to the beach.

My son will start in Glenunga next month, we're not zoned in but he passed the Ignite. We hear a lot of good reviews about the school.

There are three schools in Adelaide that offer the IGNITE program, one of which is Aberfoyle Park High School. My daughter went through the program there and it was excellent...may I ask what made you choose Glenunga over APHS? Is it because they offer the International Baccalaureate or because you got good vibes from the school's approach to education?

Yours nosily lol :)

:wubclub: LC

There are three schools in Adelaide that offer the IGNITE program, one of which is Aberfoyle Park High School. My daughter went through the program there and it was excellent...may I ask what made you choose Glenunga over APHS? Is it because they offer the International Baccalaureate or because you got good vibes from the school's approach to education?

Yours nosily lol :)

Hi,

My son wanted to go to Glenunga because he wants to continue with the IB since they had it in Belair Primary and he likes the "International feel" of the school. He took the Ignite exam though in APHS. Life will be easier if he chose APHS because we live next door!:-) . Has your daughter finished high school?

Hi,

My son wanted to go to Glenunga because he wants to continue with the IB since they had it in Belair Primary and he likes the "International feel" of the school. He took the Ignite exam though in APHS. Life will be easier if he chose APHS because we live next door!:-) . Has your daughter finished high school?

Aha :) Makes sense now but aargh! he's going to get very used to the school bus system lol!

I suppose we were lucky because our daughter had attended Hub Primary which made her decision easier as so many of the kids from Hub go to APHS. No, she's just completed her second year at uni, so long gone, and my son has just left. IGNITE worked beautifully for her; she actually completed Year 12 whilst in Year 11 but because of her age - and the fact she wanted to go to Formal with her besties - she stayed to complete Year 12 with her homegroup. I love the school!

Your son must be very excited! I'm sure he'll have a fantastic time :)

:smile: (and thanks!) LC