I have been reading on this forum for a couple of months now as my family will hopefully be making the move to Adelaide in about six months from now. This is my first post so I am hoping that someone might be able to offer me some ideas re schools for my children.
We have two children. Georgia is nearly six and by the time we come she will have completed Year 1 in the UK. Most schools I've spoken to (both state and private) will let her join mid year in Year 1 moving up to Year 2 in Jan 2014. I'm completely happy with this!!
The problem is my son. He will be 4 in June this year. If we were staying in the UK he would start school in Sept this year, having already completed 18 months in preschool here. With the new same state date rules coming in in SA I know that in the state system he would not be able to start preschool until Jan 2014 and Reception in Jan 2015. We are only coming to Adelaide for around 3 years as my husband has been offered a secondment for three years and so my major concern is that when we return to the UK Joseph will only have completed 18 months at school vs his peers who will have done 3 years in the UK and he will be really behind. He's also really keen to start school and is already talking about it a lot.
I have spoken the education department and they have confirmed that there is no flexibility in the start dates in state school. So we have been looking at private schools. Nearly every catholic private school I've spoken to are either full with long waitlists or are also following the state school timelines for starting. I'm still waiting to hear from some and keeping everything crossed as at least the prices for catholic private schools are relatively low. I have found four private schools that would take Joseph earlier than state schools (Westminster and Scotch would take him Jan 2014 for Reception, Annesley and St Andrews would take him July 2014 but their ELCs look great in the meantime). The problem is the cost. While my husbands work might give us a small contribution towards Josephs fees, they are unwilling to fund anything for Georgia and it's just so expensive. We are considering putting him in private and Georgia in a state school but I can't imagine trying to coordinate a zoned state school with a private school and finding a rental all in the same area.
Anyway, I am slightly running out of ideas of how to find a solution. Sorry for the massively long post but if anyone has any pearls of wisdom I'd be so so grateful. I fear that if we can't figure something out we might stay here in the UK .
thanks so much x