Child Care worries!

Guest Donna and Chris

Guest Donna and Chris

Hi all.

We are at the very begining of our visa application to move to Adelaide. I am a qualified nurse and my hubby an engineer. both our careers mean we have to work shifts which means different days/nights each week! My concern is child care before and after school, as we have a 6 year old daughter. At the moment we can rely on friends and family to take/pick up from school but obviously once in Oz we will be on our own! Does anyone know how early and late child care facilities open?

Not quite sure how we are going to manage getting our daughter to and from school!!confused.gif

Any advice is very welcome..

Many thanks biggrin.gif

Guest Charl.M

Hi Donna. I'm also a nurse and we plan to move in August. This worries me too as we have a 3 year old. But I plan to bank on arrival so will be able to work around my husband initially!

Charl x

Guest weegie

Hi

We visited Brighton Primary yesterday and they have an out-of-hours service attached to the school. It looks to us that most schools seem to offer some sort of facility.

They operate in the morning from 6.30am - the morning session costs $10.

The evening session is on until 6.30pm and costs $17.

On vacation days, it is open 7am to 6pm and is $50.

According to the leaflet 'all families are eligible for for the Commonwealth Government Child Care Benefit' - we're on a 475 so I don't think we'll get any help but most visas will come with some form of benefit cover.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Guest Benoli

we're heading over in June and have the same issue. Hubby and I are both nurses and have a 2 and a 4yr old. Think I'll do agency/bank work and just work round him til we figure something out.

Maybe we should all consider helping each other out somehow?? dunno what to suggest but if anyone has a suggestion/idea feel free to throw it out there :biggrin:

Guest Kel87
perhaps one stay at home:idea:

stevo

Exactly what We will have to do, means less pennies in the bank but guess its one of those sacrifices of having kids. We are in a slightly different position tho were my husband doesn't have any 'skills' except security so any work he could secure would most likely be minimum wage the same as the UK and minus child care payments and the stress of worrying about school holidays etc it just isn't worth it for us. If your husband is earning good money tho you may have to consider agency work to fit around his shifts for the first while.

Its hard and currently in the UK my husband is a stay at home dad to our baby and 4year old while I work for this exact reason so we're used to living on one wage.

Just keep telling myself they won't always be babies forever :biggrin:

Good luck with everything :)

Guest Bluebell

I have trained my older child to collect younger sibling, he stands near an adult as he's very small!! and then they trot home together the beauty of sensible well trained children!!! Not long now though till he becomes monosyllabic and begins grunting lol

Guest Charl.M

This sounds like a great idea. Iv read in another post that a group of 5 mums all helped each other out school runs the odd night out etc! and it worked great and they became really good friends!

I would Try it!!!

Charl x

we're heading over in June and have the same issue. Hubby and I are both nurses and have a 2 and a 4yr old. Think I'll do agency/bank work and just work round him til we figure something out.

Maybe we should all consider helping each other out somehow?? dunno what to suggest but if anyone has a suggestion/idea feel free to throw it out there :biggrin:

This sounds like a great idea. Iv read in another post that a group of 5 mums all helped each other out school runs the odd night out etc! and it worked great and they became really good friends!

I would Try it!!!

Charl x

That sort of thing can work if the kids are all at the same school or very close to each other and schools are out at slightly different times. Otherwise the logistics are pretty tough (I've tried it in the UK a few times and it was hard to get between schools with only a 5-10 minute window on schools coming out).

I did post a link to a recent thread about out of school care and it has some really informative replies in it that might help people looking at pre and after school care options.